Blizzard Presents:Pixar's Monday Night Fortress [Overwatch]

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Blizzard Presents:Pixar's Monday Night Fortress [Overwatch]

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:44 pm

I mean, seems like even if people weren't on the Pharmacy train, they were on the Mercy-Dad minivan.

It's not like Blizzard games are Undertale, let alone Moby Dick, where you might actually worry about a creator being artistically compromised by pandering. Pandering is what Blizzard does!

That doesn't necessarily mean that Blizzard needs to cater to silly fan shipping, but they don't have to go out of their way to shoot them down with weird pairings no one even thought about, let alone asked for either. Letting fans go nuts making silly shipping comics and memes is half the fun of OW and a not-insignificant part of what people like about the game.

Oh well, shrug.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:33 pm

I mean personally I liked the Mercy/Genji ship the best of all the Mercy ships, because she's just so into that ass.

I still have absolutely no idea what Sombra's powers, weaknesses, or damage potential is.

She's a lot like Tracer in terms of what she brings to a team, with a disabling/team fight ult instead of an "assassinate that fucking mercy/bastion/ana" ult.

Personally, I think that even after the recent buff (CD on hack reduced from 12 to 8 seconds, hack time reduced from 1 sec to 0.8 sec) she's underpowered. Her SMG just does not do enough damage. High mobility means dick all if you can't actually secure a kill. The best thing she does for her team is actually hacking the medkits.

TF2's Scout and Tracer are rewarded for point blank unload my clip into the back of your face. Sombra has trouble killing a target after you hack it and unload a full SMG, even up close. I suppose they figured that a person who could turn invisible would be overpowered if they could kill too fast, but that just leaves Sombra as this weird synergy EMP hero who only really shines when she appears right in the middle of your team and hits Q while you're fighting the rest of her team.

Basically, my problem with her is: Imagine if Reaper's damage was 3/5 at all ranges, but he could turn invisible just like Sombra. If that actually sounds like a better version of Reaper to you, well, what if Sombra lost her invisible and it was just a sprint, but her damage was increased by 30%. Invisibility only works if you can really capitalize on the surprise factor, like the Spy or a flanking Scout/Tracer/Reaper/Genji.
ImageImageImage

patito

Postby patito » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Sombra gets a highlight on low health enemies, so she can actually secure a kill if she seems them moving towards a health pack for example, which brings us to the next point in that she's has a pretty good advantage when fighting on top of health packs against low dps characters.

The problems is that this is all incredibly situational and the emp and the hacking are so underpowered that even if the entire team pushed after an emp they're very likely to get murdered by the team that no longer has mobility options but can do nothing but shoot. Also it's hilarious when a sombra hacks a phara in mid air and it makes no difference cause her hover ability isn't affected by it, just her jump jets.

Also remember how the tf2 spy was as dude that could turn invisible and had a one hit kill and it was still pretty balanced.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:25 pm

The main problem with the TF2 comparison is that teams tended to be larger so individual kills mattered less. On average - you still had small games sometimes. But the TF2 spy was also balanced to be more easily detectable the smaller the teams got.

You're not wrong, though.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:39 pm

The main problem with "utility" characters is that the games are all locked at 6v6 (or less, if you play the 3v3 or 1v1 modes) and so every pick has to be able to carry a lot of weight. You need to be able to heal, be able to put out a lot of damage/get picks, or be able to take/negate a lot of damage.

Sombra does none of that.

I will say that she seems a lot better on the new CTF mode, though. I mean, I'd still rather have a Winston as flag carrier, but she's not bad.
ImageImageImage

patito

Postby patito » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:40 pm

The problem is that sombra is just a very shoddy tracer, and tracer was already a spy-scout combo since her ult can be a one hit kill if placed properly. Sombra also has the problem that unlike tracer she doesn't have a self heal either. So no damage, no self healing and an ult that relies on teamwork even more so than zarya's ult.

On the other hand they did fix symmetra so there's hope for the future.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Speaking of Symmetra and CTF, I hear she and Torb make that mode turtle hell.

It's funny that we could switch games entirely and still not escape 2Fort.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:47 pm

I've seen teams pick Sym/Torb/Bastion/Double healer, even.

Are you just here to waste time?
ImageImageImage

patito

Postby patito » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Yeah, the ctf mode is completely awful right now because they just retooled the existing maps for it instead of making maps designed for it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Friday wrote:Are you just here to waste time?

So you do remember 2Fort!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Starr loved doing that. There was a weird version of 2Fort with deeper water in the middle and an extra tunnel in and out of each cap zone that she would play on for hours and hours with an underwater sentry that just mowed guys down forever. That was just insufferable to me.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:27 pm

I mean, it's even more retarded to overpick defense heroes in OW CTF compared to TF2, because proper ult stacking can crack any defense. You're literally condemning yourself to Draw or Loss.

I don't mind a torb or a sym on my team. It helps to have one guy to stay behind to prevent a Tracer from just blinking in or whatever. But people see Sym, and pick Torb, and then the next guy picks Widow, and then the next guy Bastion, and then I quit out.
ImageImageImage

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Friday wrote:But people see Sym, and pick Torb, and then the next guy picks Widow, and then the next guy Bastion, and then

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:28 pm

Just six Tracers moving as one glorious teleporting homosexual extermination squad
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Just imagine ELLO LUV in sextuple synchronous surround sound.

hehe sextuple.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:42 pm

In regards to Sombra, here's the Rank 3 NA player playing her in ultra high rank comp matches:

An oft-overlooked part of her kit is that if any teammate grabs a hacked health pack, it adds to her ult. So with coordination Sombra can have an ult much faster than anyone else.

But yeah she's in a weird spot.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:33 pm

I imagine she would be a lot better in higher skilled tiers of play, because so much of her power is reliant on teamwork.

For 99% of us, that means she's kinda bad. Not that your team always sucks, just that in order to make her really shine, you gotta coordinate really well. Most teams struggle to even land an EMP/Earthshatter combo to get through the enemy team's Reinshield.
ImageImageImage

patito

Postby patito » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:16 pm

A well coordinated team would also probably do better with a good zarya than a good Sombra any day. Like just the first two minutes are sombra getting a jump on enemies unloading a full clip and then retreating to camp her health pack as she fails to get a kill.

Later on sombra hides behind a box as the Ana on her team gets owned by winston and the enemy team pushes the cart to another point.

Another highlight, Sombra manages to kill a Roadhog, then PMs him to taunt him then gets put to sleep and dies to Ana and gets teabagged.

Like it's not impossible to do good as sombra, but if you learn like tracer you'll actually be more helpful to the team, since sombra is just kind of really bad.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Sombra is way better in Street Fighter V.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:07 pm