World War Moink

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: World War Moink

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:16 pm

Thad wrote:It would seem foolish not to, given that the resurgence of the series is down to the PC release of the first game.

Yeah, exactly - that makes me hopeful.

Also, few major games are console-exclusive these days. Sure, we still have plenty of console games who's console version is exclusive to one specific console, but most of these are available on PCs because I hear publishers like money.

Don't get a PS4 just yet, Kabbage!

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Dude last time I waited on VC1 to go to another system, it resulted in me finally caving a month before the PC announcement, some six years after VC1's release, and buying a secondhand PS3 to play it.

I ain't waiting another six years.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Mothra wrote:
Ozawa: “There are symbol encounters, but symbols are shown as a unit, and you can interact with a symbol before the encounter. You can snipe an enemy symbol, use a smokescreen to disable it, or shoot at it with a rifle to lure the enemy. Sniping is powerful, but on the battlefield it functions like an usable item so there are limits how often it can be used.

“Battles are conducted by setting commands to buttons. They’re action-ish battles. It takes on the familiar form of recent RPGs. The maximum amount of party members is five. You control one of them, and the rest move based on a set thought process.”

Shimosato: “As there are beings that transform into tanks, there are also weapons that imitate living things.”

What in the name of sin

Seriously though what the shit is this

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:09 pm

I... what?

Too much context missing.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:04 pm

So basically, it's not Valkyria Chronicles at all.

Guess we really are never getting another game for this damn series. ;___;

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Talking about the interview article elsewhere:

<Glocks> Really cool that they're going back to the series and not on a hand-held system.
<Mongrel> That might be a fine game, I guess, but it's not VC.
<Mongrel> Guess we really are never getting a true sequel for this damn series. ;___;
<Glocks> Or at least, a forth sequel
<Mongrel> Valkyria Chronicles Goes Forth

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:32 am

I'm pretty pissed about the changes, but I guessss I could see this working as a real-time squad-based action title? Maybe?

The fact that they almost went with RTS is not a good sign.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:54 am

It's not VC. It's just a game using the same sort-of-IP. And even then not really, because this isn't "Real-seeming world with a small but significant magic element", it's full on JRPG, including sorceresses in tea maid uniforms.

Yeah, it might have a funky combat system and use some trappings of the Valkyria Chronicles world, and yeah it might be some game worth playing in its own right, but it's not what I (and I suspect many others) actually want, which is more of the first game.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:20 pm

A friend of mine put it pretty nicely elsewhere:
BotageL wrote:So this is a game whose distinguishing points are the cool strategy battles mixing real-time moving and shooting with turns and Action Points, and the silly anime military story which often was, well, anime about topics but at least tried to do something different.

We should strip all of that out and make it a "normal" JRPG with giant Monster Hunter greatswords.

BotageL wrote:What worked about Selvaria was that she was a unique thing: this unkillable, inhuman monster who showed up and shot lasers across the entire battlefield and struck terror into everyone. ANIME METAPHOR: It's like you're leading a squad of Zaku IIs and the Gundam just showed up. There's only one of these things, but it so utterly outclasses you and your forces that your strategy instantly changes from "how do I fight this thing" to "how the hell do I accomplish our objective so the entire operation doesn't go tits-up without everyone being cut down by beams?"

Then they gave the player those abilities in the various sequels and ruined it

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:54 pm

I just can't believe that everyone on staff is so "Oh, Japan." that they fail so hard to understand what people liked about the first game.

I mean it's not like Japan doesn't have military nerds who appreciated the the game for it's WWII aspects, so this shouldn't automatically be a case of domestic tastes winning out over western tastes. I suppose that type of nerd is a smaller domestic market, but they're not insignificant and the regular animu JRPG market is kind of way past saturated, you know?

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Yeah, it sounds an awful lot like Suikoden Tierkreis in that they've recognized that the game's got a cult fanbase that wants a sequel, but the last couple sequels didn't sell very well so they're trying to broaden the appeal of the game, by removing absolutely everything the existing fanbase wants to see.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:53 pm

...you know, on further reflection, a new Sega RPG is still welcome, even if the decision to use the Valkyria name for an unrelated game is baffling and off-putting.

Won't be buying a PS4 just to play it, but hopefully it's a good game and gets a PC port.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Yeah, like I'm not so angry that I can't imagine this game being decent on its own. I'm just annoyed that it's trying to pose as something I do want much more and disappointed at being so massively teased (albeit only for, like, a day).

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Same.

Probably not gonna buy a PS4 for it unless it's reeeeally unexpectedly good in its own way. Good to see the VC property is at least still alive.

And I'm thinking that the only reason this game is happening was because of the huge boost of sales they got from VC1 going up on Steam, which would mean it's almost certain they'd put out a PC port to reach the same audience.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:00 pm

World War Beeg Anime Tittees

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:14 pm

:(

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:53 pm

Turn-based Valkyria Heroes

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:13 pm

So I finally watched the trailer, and oh my god it is so much worse than I could've imagined.

It looks like fucking Dynasty Warriors. I don't even think people are shooting, or using cover, I think it's just this big meleefest.

This is going to be total shit.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Yeah, it looks like it's some "IN THE PASSSSTTTT" fantasy stuff.