World War Moink

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: World War Moink

Postby Mothra » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:44 pm

I love how unfailingly chipper everyone is after spending three days a week lighting imps on fire and putting holes in people. Just like, stacking dead imps like firewood one morning, and throwing paper airplanes the next.

I remember liking Vicky quite a bit, despite the fact that she's a fantastically racist feral dark-skinned tribeswoman from lands afar, Rene, since she's got spunk, and Pete, because I think I found it funny he called everyone bro.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:12 pm

And there's nothing WRONG with giving a game a high school vibe -- I haven't played much SMT but I've enjoyed what I've played. Hell, I would kill for a Telltale-style game set at Gotham Academy.

But a game about a bunch of high school kids bickering with each other as a followup to a game about World War II is like...well, a game about a bunch of high school kids bickering with each other as a followup to a game about the War of the Roses.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 01, 2015 7:01 pm

I know that shoulder buttons for camera rotation is a deeply entrenched control scheme, but man it is FUCKING WEIRD to use L&R to move the camera horizontally and Triangle and X to move it vertically. Why not just use all four face buttons for the camera and the shoulders for Crouch and Aim?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:02 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:20 pm

It's still very early going yet, but a group on GameFaqs are starting to build true mods.

This may eventually result in some sort of modding portal that'll parse the Hex code in a way that will make the game vastly easier to mod, but they're also trying standalone balance mods. So far the most promising is one that increases everyone's move speed except for the Scouts and Engineers (something like 600 or 650 AP for shocktroopers/lancers and 400 for snipers. They tried just reducing scout speed to engineer speed, but it actually made them useless and levels became a horrible grind) - including the enemies, buffs enemy stats so they're much closer to yours, gives snipers interception fire (at half damage), and reduces the effects of crits on headshots/radiator hits close to what they are in VC2/3, resulting in a game you have to play way more carefully, and where all units can be good choices. The goal is to make A rank still ~possible~ for all missions but have them be actually really difficult and discourage the scout rushing that entirely circumvents level design.

It's a long road between this and an actual playable finished mod, but

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:22 am

We don't have an open editor yet, but the full and extensive balance mod has been released.

PATCH NOTES.
Edited for English readers. This is not fully comprehensive to add to some element of newness for when you fire it up for the first time. :)

VERY IMPORTANT:

ALWAYS KEEP ALICIA, ROSIE & LARGO IN THE SQUAD
DO NOT LET ANY OF THEM DIE PERMANENTLY
OR AT THE VERY LEAST DO NOT LET ALICIA DIE BEFORE CHAPTER 8A

The reason is, they are not leader anymore in this mod (they don't give a CP, thus you are not feeling forced to deploy them and can choose who you deploy more freely) and as a result they can be kicked out of squad 7 and can die permanently. It is not gamebreaking in itself except for Chapter 8a battle where Alicia is required to complete one of the victory conditions.

General:
- A-Rank turn requirements have been changed accordingly due to the rebalance.
- Rewarded cash and experience bonuses have also been changed. Overall if you A rank and kill all enemies, 50% of the reward is from the base cash/exp bonus, 25% is from the mission rank, and 25% is from killing key targets.
- Edy Squad Skirmishes don't give any EXP/DCT reward anymore to prevent early-game grinding exploits and the weapons earned have been heavily altered.
- Enemy stats have been increased so that their stats would be close to Squad 7 units at the same level. Before, enemies had pretty poor stats overall compared to Squad 7.
- Critical (headshot) damage multiplier has been reduced to x2 damage. It was originally x3.5 in VC1. As another example, it was x2.5 in VC2 & VC3.
- Damage reduction from evading has been reduced.
- Defense bonus from camps has been increased.
- Defense bonus from crawling is changed to be the same as crouching.

Infantry, Structures:
- All infantry got an AP increase except for Scouts and Engineers.
- Alicia, Rosie and Largo are no longer leaders with an auto-assigned CP bonus. Also, you are no longer forced to deploy them on certain missions. The number of CPs you get per mission has been changed accordingly to make up for this.
- Musaad, Lynn, Audrey, Knute and Emile are no longer hidden characters and can be added to the squad like anyone else.
- Snipers and Anti-Tank Cannons can now fire interception rounds. Snipers have a small interception radius and turn more slowly than other units to face you when preparing to fire.
- Shocktroopers have a wider interception radius.
- Blast Armor (Lancer Armor) damage reduction to explosions has been reduced. Lancers can walk on a few mines, but can no longer clear a whole minefield by themselves.
- Certain enemy units had their vsArmor statistic increased to damage your tanks with their interception fire (For example the Marberry turrets).
- Enemy aces and bosses also have modified stats.
- Most enemies now use black armor, while aces retain their red armor; purely aesthetic to make it easy to know that the mod is active.

Weaponry:
- Most weapon stats have been changed overall. As an example accuracy has been increased for most weapons to create less early-game frustration such as Lancers missing from point blank range.
- Enemy weapon stats have been changed dramatically across the board.
- Both Anti-Infantry and Anti-Tank mines do more damage.
-The R&D has been revamped for several weapons to get rid of useless skill trees. For example, Sniper Rifles now have the skill trees "Anti-Infantry", "Anti-Tank", "Interception". Another example is with the Flamethrower skill trees being changed to "Anti-Infantry" and "Anti-Tank".
- The "Aim" stat is now truer to the aiming reticle.
- Engineers get their own anti-tank grenades upgrades.
- Some rifles are Scout-only or Engineer-only now.

Tanks:
- Enemy tanks' radiator resistance has been increased. Changed to be similar to VC2 and VC3 where killing a tank with a Scout is harder.
- Edelweiss last weapon upgrade also increases its power and not just its range.
- Tank parts have been changed to HP (body and tread), DEF (body and tread), Radiator, Accuracy and AP.
- Tank parts are smaller and give a higher bonus.

Orders & Potentials:
- Certain Potentials and Orders have been removed or changed. Example Orders: Caution, Penetration. Example Potentials: Resist Crossfire, Invincible, Phoenix, Double Movement. Some Potentials were changed into a trade-off (for example, "Double Movement" became the "Second Wind" Potential which restores your AP on top of your HP when you use your Ragnaid).
- Potential Effects and Activation Requirements were also changed overall. Example Potential: "Stealth" which increases Defense is completely useless when no one shoots at you so it was changed to give an Attack boost instead.
- Potentials have a higher activation rate, many closer to 100%. Before, there were many Potentials that no one ever saw get activated because of their low activation probabilities.
- Orders were altered overall in regards to effects and CP costs. For example, Defense Boost has been nerfed, and Aim Boost has been buffed.
- Orders unlock requirements have been changed completely. Leveling each class over time unlocks 3 Orders relevant to the class's main stat (such as Evasions - Scouts, Accuracy - Snipers, Utility - Engineers, etc.)
-The old man at the graveyard can now give you any one of his 9 teachable Orders starting from chapter 4 unlike before where he would have a smaller pool of random orders that increased per chapter. Recon Request is still NG+ only.

Selvaria DLC:
- All imperials are now aces.
- All imperials are now leaders.
- All imperials have powerful weapons.
- All imperials have high stats.
- All Gallians shall die!

Looks excellent. Should make the game more fluid and dynamic, with more viable play options, while still making it much more of a challenge, especially in the late game.

Going to give this a try once I (someday) finish my NG+ playthrough to get all the medals/A rank everything/unlock all content (the only actual content I haven't unlocked are the two Selvaria secret missions).

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Oooh, I'm liking this.

- Alicia, Rosie and Largo are no longer leaders with an auto-assigned CP bonus. Also, you are no longer forced to deploy them on certain missions. The number of CPs you get per mission has been changed accordingly to make up for this.

Pretty happy about that. There were a number of times I wanted to use anyone else but Alicia/Largo, but couldn't, since her bonuses are so huge.

- Rewarded cash and experience bonuses have also been changed. Overall if you A rank and kill all enemies, 50% of the reward is from the base cash/exp bonus, 25% is from the mission rank, and 25% is from killing key targets.

Good, good. Actually encourages battling.

- Enemy stats have been increased so that their stats would be close to Squad 7 units at the same level. Before, enemies had pretty poor stats overall compared to Squad 7.
- Critical (headshot) damage multiplier has been reduced to x2 damage. It was originally x3.5 in VC1. As another example, it was x2.5 in VC2 & VC3.
- Damage reduction from evading has been reduced.
- Defense bonus from camps has been increased.
- Defense bonus from crawling is changed to be the same as crouching.

Lordy. Could be great, could be infuriating.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:26 pm

By all accounts, this makes the game significantly harder (and thankfully the A rank requirements have been reduced/extended for many missions to reflect this fact) and it is absolutely not recommended to play this unless you've played through the regular game first. I really like that you still get a lot of cool upgrades and that way more stuff is playable (like the Edelweiss modules taking up less space now) instead of them only upping the difficulty.

In addition to making the game better in terms of balance, this is essentially the unlockable "Hard Mode" I'd expected you would get on a NG+ game. I love that they even patched the cheese, like grinding the Edy Scout Mission to get the OP rifle really early (i.e. exactly what I did, though I hadn't actually intended to cheese the game).

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Sega registers a trademark for "Valkyria and the Blue Revolution"

please don't be a card game please don't be a card game please don't be a card game please don't be a card game please don't be a card game

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:55 pm

It would be really funny (as well as pretty unlikely) if the new Valkyria game turned out be the that world's version of Korea, or even Vietnam.

It would actually be quite interesting for them to make it as some kind of "modern warfare" take on the VC world though.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:50 pm

The sequels we have, VC2 and VC3, have moved noticably further into animu territory than I would've hoped. The fact that the Valkyrur got pretty top billing in VC3 isn't my favorite thing in the world, since it was the World War 2 stuff that I really adored.

That said, I'm always a fan of scenarios that pit conventional military against supernatural biz, so, I dunno. If it's more like VC1 than VC3, I am fucking pumped.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:04 pm

I am all for the media finding a different war to remake constantly.

But it is, sadly, unlikely.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:15 pm

@ Mothra: It's possible that the success of VC1 may have them pull back to that formula instead of trying to push something like VC2/3 which were much more poorly received (even in the Japanese market IIRC???).

I mean, I can't say that's likely. We could just be seeing a disaster card game. But it's possible.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:23 pm

MarsDragon wrote:I am all for the media finding a different war to remake constantly.

But it is, sadly, unlikely.

Well, VC2 already went with a different war than 1 and 3. I didn't get the vibe that they were going for any specific civil war, but it was definitely a civil war.

Mostly though it was just a riff on Persona; the details of the conflict were unfortunately pretty half-baked compared to the high school stuff.

I like it anyway, though; I really should finish it sometime. Haven't played 3 yet.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm still trying to A rank everything in VC1. I got to the endgame and the regular missions are mostly easy to A rank once you know what you're doing, but need to grind Chapter 18 battles over and over until I unlock top level Royal Weapons for everyone (fucking SMGs never drop!) for the super-nuts skirmishes. Got bored of doing this, so I haven't done anything in a couple weeks.

Then on to VC2 and 3. I'm not going to go nuts trying to do everything on those games, I expect, just play them through normally.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:55 pm

Kotaku: VC4 will be for PS4, VC1 to be remastered for PS4 release

Not much info beyond the headline. I sure hope they do a PC release for VC4.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:06 pm

It would seem foolish not to, given that the resurgence of the series is down to the PC release of the first game.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:39 pm

Welp. Guess I'm getting a PS4.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:12 pm

More details on Gematsu, including an apparent second game? Due out in Winter of 2016?

Details on the combat system, unfortunately, point to some changes:

Ozawa: “We wanted to do something new using Valkyria, and one of the things we’re putting in is a real-time system. Initially, we were considering real-time strategy, but we went with an RPG because we think that’s what more users will want to play.”

This game’s connection to Valkyria Chronicles…

Ozawa: “This time, we switched to an RPG. The concept of the battle system and the sensation of the battlefield are the same, but because it’s an RPG with simulation elements, you can experience the battlefield through a different perspective.”

Bummed it's real-time, for certain. Could still be fun.

Ozawa: “There are symbol encounters, but symbols are shown as a unit, and you can interact with a symbol before the encounter. You can snipe an enemy symbol, use a smokescreen to disable it, or shoot at it with a rifle to lure the enemy. Sniping is powerful, but on the battlefield it functions like an usable item so there are limits how often it can be used.

“Battles are conducted by setting commands to buttons. They’re action-ish battles. It takes on the familiar form of recent RPGs. The maximum amount of party members is five. You control one of them, and the rest move based on a set thought process.”

Shimosato: “As there are beings that transform into tanks, there are also weapons that imitate living things.”

What in the name of sin