World War Moink

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: World War Moink

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Which reminds me that the main casualty of Lynn being so awesome is Wendy not coming out very often (I think my hierarchy is Rosie -> Lynn -> Vyse -> Jane -> Wendy -> Alex. Alex is special-use only but everybody else shows up here and there).

I like to imagine it just means Wendy is holed up back at base making bombs out of randomly found objects. Every now and then some Squad 7 member goes "Hey? Where's my...?" and then the camera cuts to the dim outline of Wendy giggling as she works seated in front of the dim outlines of a doomsday machine that doesn't quite fit in her tent.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:21 am

Man, when I saw what was arrayed against me for the Welkin report, I almost shit a brick. But I got really aggressive and cleared the map in 5 turns (If you give me a choice between turtling up and going Genghis Khan on the attackers, I am absolutely going to go for the second option every damn time).

Destroying all the tanks on turn 2 and killing both snipers and most of the Lancers by turn 3 were the bulk of it (the moment when I saw how to knock out all the tanks I was all Hedley Lamarr shouting "You see?! It CAN be done!"). The rest was cleanup and making sure I didn't receive a surprise anal probe via hidden scout or something. Managed to keep everyone alive too, though Vyse had 2 HP when I won.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:01 am

Starting to love Marina as my sniper.

Started with Oscar, because Jane seemed to like him, then I unlocked Emile, but eh, both are pretty boring. Marina and sometimes Catherine, because her accent is mega charming.

Made it past the APC mission on my next try, having Wendy just ruin the thing in two turns. Concentration Camp mission with the two bridges was tricker than expected. Lost two scouts trying to take the first point (THIS close), and had to wait until Hannes and the tank could roll up to wipe out the shocktroopers and recover the bodies. Got a D on that one.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:48 am

Mongrel wrote:Man, when I saw what was arrayed against me for the Welkin report, I almost shit a brick. But I got really aggressive and cleared the map in 5 turns (If you give me a choice between turtling up and going Genghis Khan on the attackers, I am absolutely going to go for the second option every damn time).

I kept going aggressive, making it a turn or two, and getting wiped out by something unexpected. Got tired of it and quit; was considering trying just defending the base on my next try but then again every time I mess up it's pretty easy to see what I did wrong.

How early did you pull the Edelweiss out? I keep moving it on the first turn to put some mortars out and wipe out a few goons early, but I suppose I could use those points for a defensive order or something instead.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:47 pm

I ran him out on the first turn. The first time I played I ran him up the road and was destroyed by SURPRISE BUTTSEX LANCER for my troubles (the one who's up in the northwest corner with the sniper). So next time (which was the time I won), I ran him almost directly east across the grass, thinking I might get behind a tank on turn 2. Turns out I was able to run up between the heavy tanks and kill both of them (well worth the double tank activation) and Largo took out the medium tank (I had also moved him east on the first turn).

Both times I dumped a mortar on the group that had the enemy engineer (killing the engineer and the commander next to him - barely), but in retrospect I probably could have targeted a different group, since I went for radiator kills on all three tanks.

I had a couple of near misses - Largo almost getting blown up, Vyse (Who I had guarding the base for the first two turns and who never went very far) taking shots to the head until I cleared snipers, the Edelweiss was pretty beat up, but I got there in the end. My crew was Largo, Rosie, Vyse, and Aika. In theory I should have taken Lynn instead of Vyse, given that extra moves only become more valuable on maps where you don't get much CP, but I wanted to run Vyse this time for the hell of it. Well, not just for the hell of it, he's tougher and in a survival mission, that matters. He also deals probably the highest regular damage on average, but usually that's a moot point since all my shocktroopers deal more than enough damage to get their kills.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:11 am

I think now, at the beginning of chapter 15, is when I'm going to try some more of the expert skirmish challenges. I had the Lancer challenge and Scout challenge down from before, so I tried the Sniper challenge today. Holy crap was that one ever easy. I mean, way easier than the Scout or Lancer challenge were, by an order of magnitude - getting A rank is no problem at all. I guess maybe it's a lot harder if you're on console controls?

I did it the legal-but-sleazy way, by adding a +CP character as my #2 (using Alicia or Rosie as your "spotter" works equally well, probably), but it really wouldn't be too difficult even without the extra CP (though you have to employ a slightly different strategy if you're going to play it "fairly").

It's also nice because the super-amazing weapon drop you get from killing the ace in that mission is actually total garbage, even early game (A sniper rifle with some extra damage, but at half range and horrible accuracy - it's like everything you never wanted in a sniper rifle!), so I'm not loading myself down with superweapons if all I want to do is just grind XP quick. Not that I really need to grind all that much - my guys are all level 17/18 anyway.

Probably try Homer's Engineer challenge next and then get back to the regular storyline.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Mongrel wrote:I think now, at the beginning of chapter 15, is when I'm going to try some more of the expert skirmish challenges. I had the Lancer challenge and Scout challenge down from before,

Yeah, I've done all of them except Lancer and Tank.

Mongrel wrote:so I tried the Sniper challenge today. Holy crap was that one ever easy. I mean, way easier than the Scout or Lancer challenge were, by an order of magnitude - getting A rank is no problem at all. I guess maybe it's a lot harder if you're on console controls?

Nope.

It's harder if you do it way earlier, but the controls aren't the issue.

Mongrel wrote:I did it the legal-but-sleazy way, by adding a +CP character as my #2 (using Alicia or Rosie as your "spotter" works equally well, probably), but it really wouldn't be too difficult even without the extra CP (though you have to employ a slightly different strategy if you're going to play it "fairly").

I put Alicia in after completing the Scout challenge and getting her a gun that would let her take out most of the guys across the trench if they tried to make a run for it. I put Rosie in on the next round to cover the back way.

Mongrel wrote:It's also nice because the super-amazing weapon drop you get from killing the ace in that mission is actually total garbage, even early game (A sniper rifle with some extra damage, but at half range and horrible accuracy - it's like everything you never wanted in a sniper rifle!)

There are maps it's pretty useful on, mostly ones where you've got a bunch of guys clustered relatively closely to a crow's nest. The beach and Naggiar 1, for example.

Mongrel wrote:Probably try Homer's Engineer challenge next and then get back to the regular storyline.

That one, like most of them, is pretty easy once you work out the shape of it, but I found it pretty frustrating going through the number of deaths it took to work out where enemies were and what to do.

I wound up starting with Rosie, Largo, and Alicia -- no engineer at all. Move the three of them up and around the building on the first turn; take out the first trooper with Rosie; use the Edelweiss to blast a mortar and destroy the cover that the lancer is crouching behind right in front of it. Second turn, Rosie takes out the next trooper and she and Alicia get into position in the alley northwest of the enemy camp, and Largo takes the long way around, takes out a tank, and positions himself in the alley northeast of the enemy camp. Turn 3, Largo takes out both enemy tanks in the camp, Alicia and Rosie mop up the soldiers and capture the flag, summon an engineer. From there it's pretty straightforward; make your way to the tank with the engineer and some kind of backup who can take out the lancer on the way, then fix up the tank with the engineer and move toward the destination, with the engineer going on a little bit ahead to disarm any mines. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it but that was my solution.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Huh, that's a cute way of doing the Engineer challenge and one I'd considered. I'm just doing it most straightforwardly, with Rosie, Aika, Alicia, and Dallas. I had Rosie take out the camp (not the tanks though, so I couldn't actually occupy it), while Alicia helped clear enemies and Aika guarded Dallas while she got the the tank. Rosie got parked in a relatively safe spot so she would gun down the reinforcements as they appeared and meanwhile I moved up the Edelweiss to clear the camp tanks. After that, yeah, it was straightforward.

I only got a D rank though, because I spent three extra turns going and getting the secret Ace weapon (the KAR 9(g), which is +5 range and +5 damage over the KAR 8(g) you get in the scout mission - it's the best rifle in the game). I'm sure I could do better, but I'm not certain I could do better and still pick up the ace weapon. I'm sure I'll try at some point though.

You and I basically do the sniper challenge in the same way. The trick I realized was DO NOT summon Rosie on the first turn. You need all five activations to clear the front on the first turn: Marina kills the three snipers who can take out Alicia on the enemy turn, and Alicia kills the scout and shocktrooper and just parks herself on the ridge to guard against anyone making a base run, though Rosie and Alicia are almost interchangeable here since you can't leave camp. Turn two you summon Rosie, while Alicia clears everything else that's nearby and Marina keeps working on distant targets with whatever CP you have left over. I usually have it won within an activation or two on turn 4, but I think if I move Marina a little more carefully, I could do it in three turns. What's funny is Alicia and Rosie killing the dork down in the valley via blind fire grenades :D

EDIT: Yep, the Sniper challenge is absolutely beatable in 3 turns. Also, I just got my shocktroopers to level 18 and man... it was already shaping up that Lynn and Vyse (and Rosie of course) were the best, but that just got WAY more stark with Rosie and Vyse getting double attack and Lynn, who up until this point had my only double-action potential, getting full HP recover on top. Probably going to do the shocktrooper challenge once I get one more rank up for my flamethrowers, because that map was miserable without napalm.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:05 pm

Oh wow, I really loved that traingun mission. That was intense.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Few highlights:

Tank got wedged between the enemy tank in the middle! Hooooo nelly.

Fortunately, I was able to angle the turret JUST so to hit the radiator. Pretty glad I tried, because I'm fairly certain he would've taken the option on his end.

Jane charges the flag through a hailstorm of traingunfire...

...and gets it done.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Haha, yesssss...

Unrelated: Man, I just realized that never once in 15 chapters and umpteen skirmishes, have I EVER had Largo's "Big Hearted" (resuscitation on death) potential trigger. Granted, I don't get him killed all that often, but... huh.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:06 pm

I think I've seen it trigger once.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:12 am

So I started in on the first level of Chapter 15. I was having fun with two of the rail switches done so far, when Lynn and Vyse each took a side of the fortress wall to go smash bunkers. Lynn burned out one over on the right just fine, but when Vyse climbed the ladder on the left by the camp, he fell off the map (and just keeps falling).

Uhhhhh... restart!

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Ha, same thing happened to me (with Aika climbing the center-right ladder).

If it had only happened to one of us it'd be easy to write it off as just a goofy one-off bug. Given that it happened to both of us, though, it seems like one of those things that really should have been caught during testing.

I didn't restart, though, I just finished without her. It's not like she died or anything.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:09 pm

Yeah, I played it again and it happened again (but I saved before trying it). Experimentation seems to indicate that the two inner ladders are buggered, but the outer ones are fine. Though once Vyse fell off the map while going DOWN the upper leftmost ladder (the short one between the wall and the stairs). Anyway, I was able to complete it at least.

The Ghirlandio missions are both really good. Serendipitously, it was Alicia who snuck up on Selvaria and took her out

Also did the Shocktrooper challenge. Managed an A, but that was pretty brutal. It all comes down to surviving the first turn, really. I couldn't line up shots to get multikills to save my life though.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 am

I think I'm going to redo the back half of 15.

I botched it pretty badly for the first few rounds (took me a bit to realize I really should be using smoke). I pulled it out and managed to finish with a D, but my engineer got killed on the last round so I think I'll redo it. I know I can do better on a retry.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:22 am

The first time I ran it, I was doing okay but my guys were all getting really beat up rushing for cover. So I restarted and was like "Wait... I have those smoke round thingies!" It was an epiphany to realize they still worked even when impacting a vertical surface.

The left was easier to clear than the right. What was funny was my killing everyone but the Lancer, so that I could rush cap the first left camp on the first turn. I parked Edelweiss with its butt against a crate and prayed he wouldn't be able to squeeze in there. But then the Lancer never did anything! So I had this funny vignette of Alicia running out to cap the camp, while Rosie kept a watchful eye on the Lancer (she was on the stairs), then on turn two, Rosie and Alicia kept pushing further left while Jane ran by and gunned down the Lancer. Because he didn't do anything, I like to imagine that the Lancer just surrendered to Alicia on turn one, who then handed her over to Jane as a prisoner and took off, but then Jane, well... you know.

Like I said earlier, the only way for me to avoid being hung by a tribunal is to win this war. >__>

EDIT: So I'm queued up for the Chapter 16 battle. Going in blind, all I know I have to move fast and run through a giant minefield and that this going to be way less about staying alive and more about moving really fast, so I've gambled on a six-man team that's Alicia, Aika, Largo, Rosie, Dallas, and Homer, which is way lighter than my shocktrooper-happy ass usually runs with (conversely, I ran 4 shocktroopers on 15b). Let's see if two engineers is the correct gambit!

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:14 am

Mongrel wrote:The left was easier to clear than the right.

Very much so, which is why it's a real bastard move that the map nudges you to the right.

Mongrel wrote:Like I said earlier, the only way for me to avoid being hung by a tribunal is to win this war. >__>

Which reminds me: who does a prisoner exchange for someone they're just going to court martial and hang anyway?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:13 am

Thad wrote:
Mongrel wrote:The left was easier to clear than the right.

Very much so, which is why it's a real bastard move that the map nudges you to the right.

Mongrel wrote:Like I said earlier, the only way for me to avoid being hung by a tribunal is to win this war. >__>

Which reminds me: who does a prisoner exchange for someone they're just going to court martial and hang anyway?

Hahah, yeah that whole cutscene was uh... anyway...

I also recall thinking "So isn't this the second time someone 'slaps sense into a woman' in VC?"

In other news, I just played the Marmota Decoy mission (Chapter 16) and found out that the game actually counts it against you if you slow it down at all. There are charges to blow rock faces to block it for the main objective (two at leach fork) and a bunch of other charges that only slow it down. If you do anything other than detonate the charges that block the alternate paths, the extra turns the delays add get docked from your score (What?! Fucking bullshit!) even though Varrot tells you to slow the damn thing down using those extra charges (Goddammit, Elle!). Like I swooshed through the map and then spent 4 turns waiting and doing nothing at the end. I guess the thing is supposed to be nipping at your heels the whole time for MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE EXCITEMENT or whatever. So I got a D and will replay it.

EDIT 1: I chose correctly in terms of my team, but I could probably just cut Largo and an Engineer. Largo did nothing but follow along so his slow speed negates the additional CP he provided entirely. Rosie was almost the same, but was useful in a couple places.

EDIT 2: They say you can't call for a medic in that fight. They lie. I tried it on a shot up Homer and it worked just fine.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:32 am

Beat the game.

Chapters 17 and the Edy Detachment team mission (tank escort) were lots of fun. I like levels like that that have no "best" path so you can be flexible in your attack.

Some interesting things about a New Game+ (which you actually start from the save menu and not the main menu, which threw me off). You get your final order as well as Musaad. Interestingly, you don't get all the characters at first - it's random unlocks again. Though presumably you get all your specific unlock characters back (for instance I had Marina, Lynn, Audrey, and Knute to start... though not Oscar or Emile for some reason). Chapter 18 is... well, it's a boss fight, and as such is fairly bland, but was reasonably challenging.

The bad news is, the missions on a New Game+ are NOT harder. I'm not sure I've ever played a more lopsided match than Welkin with an S20R and Alicia with a KAR 9(g) (and also dressed in their militia outfits, which makes it feel even weirder) against three entry-level scouts. I mean, there's at least a small element of challenge, in that most of the game I only had B or C ranks, so this is where you try to get all A's. But I would prefer to do that with actual tactics and not just curbstomping the computer with massively overpowered dudes. I can't even voluntarily rewind by using older weapons, because your R&D tree is fully intact. I guess I could use really crappy enemy weapon drops from the early game or something, but that doesn't change the fact that I have the ancillary stuff like strong uniforms and rifle grenades and flamethrowers and such.