No, it's Civilization, silly.

Esperath

Re: No, it's Civilization, silly.

Postby Esperath » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:54 am

[22:09:12] <Esperath> memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=260
[22:09:18] <Mazian> Avatar hosted on a pyoko subdomain, though?
[22:09:33] <Esperath> who is tsamurai
[22:09:57] <Smiler> how strange
[22:12:50] <Esperath> is tsamurai geo?
[22:13:14] <Mazian> It's this person, whoever this is http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=16330.0
[22:13:42] <Esperath> yep
[22:13:43] <Esperath> it's geo
[22:14:15] <Esperath> uhhh
[22:14:21] <Esperath> the mystery deepens
[22:14:40] <Mazian> Jeepers!
[22:17:37] <Esperath> You thought you were talking to a 52 year old account manager, but it was me, Geo!
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:40 am

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Yeah so, I picked up Endless Legend a while back, since Rock Paper Shotgun voted it the best strategy game of the year (last year). I've done two full multiplayer games and I really can't get my head around how to make this game fun.

Like, in Civ games, you're exploring and colonizing and setting up resource collecting operations, and generally BUILDING. In EL, it's more just managing your empire as it expands and develops mostly on its own.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:53 pm

First, I don't think it really shines in multiplayer, second, it depends entirely on your faction. Necrophages are aggressively expansionist by design, while The Cult of the Eternal End literally can't expand. As far as your empire running itself, for me it's the complete opposite. Each region on the map has to be carefully managed, and each city expanded with equal care. Maybe if you just play Vaulters and Forest Walkers you'll feel like "This is just fantasy civ with less units", but try playing the Broken Lords, who can't even SEE the food resource. Factions that mean something is the meat, so far as I'm concerned.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Esperath wrote:[22:09:12] <Esperath> http://brontoforum.us/memberlist.php?mo ... file&u=260
[22:09:18] <Mazian> Avatar hosted on a pyoko subdomain, though?
[22:09:33] <Esperath> who is tsamurai
[22:09:57] <Smiler> how strange
[22:12:50] <Esperath> is tsamurai geo?
[22:13:14] <Mazian> It's this person, whoever this is http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=16330.0
[22:13:42] <Esperath> yep
[22:13:43] <Esperath> it's geo
[22:14:15] <Esperath> uhhh
[22:14:21] <Esperath> the mystery deepens
[22:14:40] <Mazian> Jeepers!
[22:17:37] <Esperath> You thought you were talking to a 52 year old account manager, but it was me, Geo!

It was just a prank joke. If I wanted it to be a mystery, I would have hosted the avatar somewhere else. But even in that case, Mothra knew anyway. It's good to see that no one's been able to join these since last Christmas though. Pyoko is an alive and thriving community.

I find it funny that a new face created enough interest that you guys immediately tried to crack the code though.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:15 pm

It's weird, but the unpublicized walled garden forum where old friends talk shit doesn't see many unfamiliar visitors. I can't conceive of anything that could possibly explain it.

Glad to see you're still the pinnacle of hilarity you always were, though.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:52 pm

Sorry, I'm going through a bit of a rough spot in my life right now, so I'm a little grumpy and depressed. That may have flavoured my response here. I thought that making an account on here where the nature of the person with the account didn't match the expected board membership would be funny and fun to play around with for a little bit. But I don't think I'll ever be able to talk to you guys in a way that anyone will appreciate.

I intended gentle ribbing by pointing out the captca situation and I meant to express honest surprise that anyone cared enough to attempt to decipher who this was, not derision. I'm sorry that I've always been such a negative part of this community for whatever reason. Just know that, everything I ever did or said here was always motivated by a desire to entertain and to be appreciated and validated by you guys. I mean, there were definitely some times and some people who I was vindictive against because I felt unwarrantly slighted by them and so I was a jerk to them in an attempt to give back as good as they gave to me, but those were isolated incidents.

Anyway, ciao again. Sorry to have bothered you.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:05 pm

Man, being shitty at people on the internet because I'm having a bad day is basically all I fuckin do.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:22 am

Aw, Geo. I think trying to find the line between amusing snark and just being a dick is a process that has tripped all of us up at one time or another.

Hundreds or perhaps even thousands of times, in my case.

malikial

Postby malikial » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:44 am

It's OK Geo, I still love you. All of you.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:29 pm

My brother bought Starr and I copies of Civ VI for early Christmas. Anybody else playing this?

Early reviews from friends mentioned that there was some busted shit (some kind of go-infinite worker sales exploits were the worst offenders I think?), but apparently a big patch just went through that fixes a ton of stuff, so maybe it's looking good right now? Going to try it out shortly.

The actual gameplay and concept look like the best Civ in a long time. Lots of great, sensible quality-of-life improvements and smart ideas.

Really hoping international multiplayer actually friggin' WORKS for this edition, since Civ V games were literally unplayable when played with friends in the antipodes.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Have they fixed teams in multiplayer yet?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:32 am

No idea!

Didn't really have time to get properly into it as other thing came up and I don't feel like starting a game just to play 45 minutes of it and then knock off for bed, but I did have a couple thoughts without even starting a game.

1) WTF... no Civilopedia without being in-game? Buh. It's not a huge deal but... why?
2) OMG the US leader is TDR?!?! Will I finally play as the US in a Civ game for the first time in 20 years?!
3) They put the Amazons in as a Civ! Wow cool! Ooops they're the super-bloodthirsty Civ! Uhhh... Well, I guess a steppes horse-nomad civilization being painted with that brush is pretty traditional for a Civ game.

(For anyone curious, scholarship and archaeology on the Sarmatian-Scythian peoples is still pretty weak and incomplete. The Sarmatians were slightly more settled and further west and the Scythians were more far-ranging and further east, but ranged from Ukraine to China - the same red-haired Steppe folk talked about as steppes peoples in the far west of China. Both peoples were known at the time among the Greeks and other more settled adjacent civilizations for extensive warmaking, but a lot of this is because they had exclusive trade deals with the Greek city-states to supply the lion's share of Greeks slaves and sustaining this trade required frequent wars.

As for the women warriors of Sarmatia and Scythia who inspired the idea of the Amazons, it's unclear if they were accepted as full and equivalent to male warriors or served mainly as "home guard", given Scythian war parties would frequently range away from home for years, even decades. Amazon burials, which are the main record we have, appear to make no distinction, so at minimum it appears they were equally valued/respected).

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:34 am

Let me know if the 'play on a team' button shows up in Multiplayer. My best friend and I want to get Civ 6 but we're kinda sick of half-baked Civ experiences so we're waiting for team-in-multiplayer to be fixed and/or the first expansion that fixes the most egregious problems with the game because... it's a Civ game.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:11 pm

Do people still buy Civ games before the expansion packs are out? That's a thing that happens?

(I am told the Scythians are kind of game-breakingly strong for all the wrong reasons. When you train a mounted unit, you get two instead of one. Pick up the military policy that gives you a boost to your production of mounted units. Suddenly you're producing horsemen at 1/4 cost! Then turn around and sell off the horsemen -- for the full amount of gold. Then go buy a granary or whatever for the city that's churning out your horsemen... faster than you'd have built the building in the first place.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:16 pm

There were some busted exploits like that, but I think the first big patch which just went through is supposed to address those. I haven't checked the patch notes though.

@ Grath, I'll check later today when I get home and get going on a game.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:51 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Do people still buy Civ games before the expansion packs are out? That's a thing that happens?

Most of the reviews said this one's actually pretty fully-baked at launch; it's got some issues but not the kind of wait-for-the-expansion dealbreakers that 4 and 5 did.

I'm not waiting for the expansion so much as I'm waiting for a sale. Plus I've barely played 5.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:58 pm

Thad wrote:
nosimpleway wrote:Do people still buy Civ games before the expansion packs are out? That's a thing that happens?

Most of the reviews said this one's actually pretty fully-baked at launch; it's got some issues but not the kind of wait-for-the-expansion dealbreakers that 4 and 5 did.

I'm not waiting for the expansion so much as I'm waiting for a sale. Plus I've barely played 5.

Given what game we're talking about, I think my 462 hours in it count as 'barely playing' 5.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:42 am

So no, there's no "Play on a Team" button, or anything similar. Nor can you prearrange an alliance at the staging screen before the game starts. I assume the in-game option is still there, but didn't have anyone to test it with.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 am

Wait... No giant death robots? No "future" units at all?

Fffffffffffffff-why did I buy this?!

Oh right, I didn't.

BUT THEY SURE BETTER ADD THAT SHIT IN THE EXPANSION

(I'm bitching rather comically over trivialities, but honestly this seems like the best Civ since Civ 2. So long as the tech/unit tree gets some expansion so that longer games seem more varied, this is going to be a fantastic iteration of Civ)