♪ Flash cart! Aa-aah~ ♫

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

♪ Flash cart! Aa-aah~ ♫

Postby Mothra » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:55 pm

I've gotten a group together in Boston that might be down for a Secret of Mana playthrough. I've got an SNES, and I can probably get that multi-controller tap thingie on eBay, so all that remains is to get a playable copy of one of the most expensive SNES titles on the market.

It would probably cost me $60-$75 if I wanted to buy the game from someone online, which is starting to make me consider the possibility of getting an SNES flash cart and doing it that way.

Way I figure, it would cost about the same, and this way I could play a few translated Japan-only titles like... well, Secret of Mana 2. And Sweet Home.

Anyone have any experience with SNES flash carts? A cursory Google search reveals a wall of cheaply-made, wildly-overpriced garbage.

kashan

Re: ♪ Flash cart! Aa-aah~ ♫

Postby kashan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:29 pm

I don't really have much input on this other than to say I don't think sweet home should be a motivator for you in buying an SNES flash cart as that's a famicom game. I've been considering getting a flash cart too though so if you find one that you love let me know how it goes.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Nah I'm not actually considering playing Sweet Home, I was just clownin'.

That game look charming and utterly unplayable.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:27 pm

Both the SD2SNES and Super Everdrive seem good enough. I'd look up what each one does. I don't think either support the FX chip.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Heard the same thing from a friend who's really into emulation. That looks to be the best quality board out there.

But! I just realized SD2SNES is $190 dollars.

Fuuuuck that.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Was poking around this Etsy show that sells reproduction carts, and oh my god some of these are delightful: