Hotline Miami 1 and 2

Friday

Hotline Miami 1 and 2

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:07 pm

So, I played Hotline Miami and thought it was a pretty cool game. And then I played 2 and went holy shit this is a real thing with real feelings.

I don't know why I'm writing this post. I guess it's because the game got inside me and made me feel really fucked up. I'm not even really recommending that you go buy this game. I guess I just wanted to tell someone that I experienced a feeling caused by murdering a lot of people and being really fucking angry that murdering a lot of people didn't solve any problems and instead just led to a lot more people getting murdered.

And then you start a new game on hard mode and the game literally opens with a new cutscene telling you "why are you here? you know how this ends. You can't change it." and that is what happens when you beat it again.

But on the flip side you get to play this level again:

EDIT: if you do decide to play these games, start with 1. It's a lot easier and it sets up the immensely better story in 2.
ImageImageImage

zaratustra

Re: Hotline Miami 1 and 2

Postby zaratustra » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:17 pm

but do you like hurting other people?

François

Postby François » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:00 pm

SHIT YEAH SON YE'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DO

AMERICA!!!

2 doesn't run on XP so that makes me sad; I played some at my brother's place on PS4 and decided I would prefer to wait until I upgrade to devour it on my own. It's almost too intimate an experience to share. These games are among those games that can get under your skin and in your bones and start flipping levers and tugging cords you didn't know were there and can't tell anyone else about after the fact without sounding crazy.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:04 pm

These games are among those games that can get under your skin and in your bones and start flipping levers and tugging cords you didn't know were there and can't tell anyone else about after the fact without sounding crazy.

YES THANKS TO YOU

But seriously, 2 is like 1's impact multiplied by five. The story is presented in a non-linear fashion and jumps between like 8 POV characters, so it's a lot to swallow and keep track of. But once you piece it all together it hits you like a phantom train with no Sabin around.
ImageImageImage

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:43 am

[data corrupted]

Bal

Postby Bal » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:03 am

Hotline Miami 1 and 2 are two of my all time favorite games. I find they are played best in overdoses. Losing yourself in the pounding music, and the kill die repeat until success game play loop. When I played HM1 for the first time I beat it in a sitting, feeling drained and slightly euphoric. When I finished HM2 I sat back in my chair and said on TeamSpeak "I'm flying, guys. I get it now".

There's a twist at the end, but I don't think anyone is going to like it.