Wii/DS Network Server Emulator

Thad

Wii/DS Network Server Emulator

Postby Thad » Sat May 09, 2015 1:23 pm

So I decided to take a look at the dwc_network_server_emulator documentation and man, it sure sounds like a hassle to set up, even though I've already got a DSTwo flash card and the Homebrew Channel installed on my Wii.

Plus you've got to delete your existing save files and I will be goddamned if I am going to play through single-player Mario Kart Wii ever again. (I would not be averse to using some kind of cheat code or somebody else's save to just unlock everything; I think that, under the circumstances, cheating just to unlock courses and drivers is fair.)

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Wii/DS Network Server Emulator

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 09, 2015 2:21 pm

How is Dolphin, by the way? The chance to play emulated Wii games sounds pretty cool, though I imagine you still have to buy the peripherals.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 11, 2015 2:12 am

I heard good things, but I've gone to such considerable effort to get my Wii working that I feel obligated to use the real thing instead of emulation now.

I tried using it a little, when my Wii first broke; I found that even on a pretty beefy system, I couldn't get a decent framerate above 480p, which means I don't get the benefit of upscaling. Of course, this was years ago, and I only tested on a couple games (New SMB Wii and Metroid Prime Trilogy, the latter of which, at least at the time, had serious compatibility issues anyway), so I don't know how representative my brief experience was.

I haven't really tried it for GameCube games; I hear good things and I imagine they probably run a lot faster than Wii games.

Need for peripherals, of course, depends on the game; stuff like Mario Kart or Smash Bros would be fine to play with any old gamepad (though, again, those games have pretty limited appeal without the online component). Twilight Princess is just a GameCube game with motion controls grafted onto it; I think you could pretty trivially map the two different directions of sword attacks onto buttons (though I haven't tried it). Something like Super Mario Galaxy would be trickier, but playable (strictly speaking you don't need Star Bits).

I've always wondered how Metroid Prime Trilogy would play with WASD and mouselook, but I never got it running well enough to find out.

But yeah for games where you want motion controls, you'd need to buy a Wii Remote, probably a nunchuck, and either one of the off-brand sensor bars with its own power source or make your own (using the candle trick or whatever). The good news is that Dolphin supports that stuff out of the box without requiring any third-party libraries (other than a working Bluetooth connection).

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 12, 2015 11:55 pm

My new Brawl friend code is 3441-9750-2932.

I THINK everything is working. It's kinda hard to tell if it can't find any other players because it's not working or because there is nobody else currently trying to play Super Smash Bros Brawl online using a hacked Wii or emulator.

Meanwhile I can't get Mario Kart to load at all from USB Loader GX; there are a bunch of other games that don't want to load either. They all run fine from Configurable USB Loader, but it doesn't have built-in support for private servers. Which is a pity because I also like its interface a lot better than USBLGX's. Among other things, Configurable USB Loader's carousel does not inexplicably have a left arrow that moves the list to the right and vice-versa.

...I suspect it will probably actually take last time just to patch my fucking files and use Configurable USB Loader than it will to figure out why some of them won't load in USB Loader GX. Considering there are really only two games I want to play online anyway.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 14, 2015 12:33 am

oh god oh god what rabbit hole have I fallen into

So I'm looking for the patch to play Mario Kart on a private server.

And I discover that the same guy who made that patch has also made patches for a couple of hundred custom tracks, including a bunch copied from previous games.

Haven't tried any of them yet but yeah this looks a lot more impressive than the last Mario Kart Wii mod I saw, which...pretty much just took the original and added pot references to it. (In fairness, this was back when the Nintendo servers were still operational and you didn't want mods that broke compatibility with the original game.)

If I can get them to work, I will check back in and let you know if any of them are any good.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 14, 2015 7:23 pm

And my new Mario Kart Wii friend code is 5159-9619-5231.

Again, if anybody else ever tries this, we can find a better way to organize these things (like drop them all into the top of the first post). But for now, here seems like it should be fine.

ETA: It totally works! I am playing online, with other people.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Okay does anyone know a way to make a Streetpass thing for 3DS, for games that give content/perks based off streetpass tags, and be able to specify the data streetpassed?

I am at 99.99% completion with one game, Bravely Default, and I need a random streetpass to send me a Beezlebub or Belphegor Nemesis to get Firaja, but all I get are Satan+, New Year's Nemesis, and random Turtle Doves.

I want some way to set up a StreetPass thingie then tell it to ding my 3DS with a Beezlebub or Belphegor.

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:42 pm

I think I'm streetpassing one of those.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:15 pm

The way the Nemesis system works, it's useless if you're my actual 3DS friend - I can only get it off StreetPass or random NetInvites. So unless you want to physically send me your 3DS + Cart to streetpass, I cannot use you to advance my own gains.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue May 10, 2016 12:21 am

Thad wrote:My new Brawl friend code is 3441-9750-2932.

I THINK everything is working. It's kinda hard to tell if it can't find any other players because it's not working or because there is nobody else currently trying to play Super Smash Bros Brawl online using a hacked Wii or emulator.

Meanwhile I can't get Mario Kart to load at all from USB Loader GX; there are a bunch of other games that don't want to load either. They all run fine from Configurable USB Loader, but it doesn't have built-in support for private servers. Which is a pity because I also like its interface a lot better than USBLGX's. Among other things, Configurable USB Loader's carousel does not inexplicably have a left arrow that moves the list to the right and vice-versa.

...I suspect it will probably actually take last time just to patch my motherfucking files and use Configurable USB Loader than it will to figure out why some of them won't load in USB Loader GX. Considering there are really only two games I want to play online anyway.

This is only tangentially related, but have you ever tried any of the Brawl hacks? I managed to find a random online opponent in Project M a couple times, but I'm not sure if it was using the thing this thread is about or not. I certainly didn't do any outside setup other than just installing the mod.

Anyway I think Project M is dumb and bad, but Brawl Minus is a lot of fun and I'd love to have a friend match with you or anyone. My friend code is 5241-1588-2488

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:17 pm