Splatoon is a lot of god damned fun.

sei

Splatoon is a lot of god damned fun.

Postby sei » Sat May 30, 2015 7:04 am

I don't even like shooters, but six hours disappeared.

François

Re: Splatoon is a lot of god damned fun.

Postby François » Sat May 30, 2015 7:35 am

Yeah, I hear you. Heck, Japan doesn't like shooters either, but Nintendo still essentially sold out over there.

I ended up buying it with a portion of my translation bux and I'm digging every moment of it. If there's one thing that bugs me, it's that the charger-type weapons (which I'm naturally inclined to prefer) just don't seem very good in Turf War, and Turf War is all there is for now. But in the end that's sort of a minor quibble because every other weapon feels great to use most of the time. It still feels like there is absolutely zero lag and the frame rate is rock solid; I don't recall playing a real-time online game that felt so damn smooth, it's crazy.

sei

Postby sei » Sat May 30, 2015 6:50 pm

There's usually no lag, but I've had matches where someone seems to be standing still and then vanishes and reappears elsewhere nearby. (No, it's not them going squid form.)

Rollers put down a lot of ink, but while using a Splattershot, they seem like pretty easy targets.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat May 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Sun May 31, 2015 1:01 am

Chargers are great 1v1 (Dojo) and are supposed to be more useful in Ranked. I'm level 9.5 so I'll let you know more in half a level.

The big thing about Chargers is they require a different attitude towards the game in Turf War. As a Charger, your job is to kill opponents so your teammate can paint the area and advance during respawn. It takes a teammate nearby to make you effective, regulating you to an incredibly Supportive role. I've seen them used very effectively.

Good tip for them is to use your range to quickly draw straight line and swim through it and repeat until you're deep into enemy territory so you can get your team deep. It'll totally kill you but if your team is paying attention, you'll be able to pretty much sweep.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun May 31, 2015 12:38 pm

François

Postby François » Sun May 31, 2015 2:42 pm

Lottel wrote:Good tip for them is to use your range to quickly draw straight line and swim through it and repeat until you're deep into enemy territory so you can get your team deep. It'll totally kill you but if your team is paying attention, you'll be able to pretty much sweep.

Yeah, I tried that today, good point. At first it feels like splatting a dude in one shot isn't so incredibly great, and the ground-covering capacity looks wimpy, but you do get a mobility advantage that can come in real handy, especially with some swim speed gear. I still find a lot more success with the .51 Gal and the Blaster though, but that's probably just my style; I kinda hate having my pants down at close range.

In other news, I rolled a bunch of +defense gear and it really makes a difference often, but I'm so used to being fragile that sometimes I think I died and start looking at the minimap while I respawn but after a second or so I realize NOPE I WON THAT SKIRMISH AND I'M STILL ALIVE DANG.

In other other news, there is no way in hell an online-multiplayer-focused shooter by a company that has never done one has any business having a campaign final boss this fucking rad. Someone at Nintendo musta sold their soul to break a couple laws of physics for that one.

François

Postby François » Sun May 31, 2015 4:46 pm

Man I love the Blaster. When I first tried it in the shop I was all I DON'T THINK MUCH OF THIS WEAPON, but then I figured it did something nothing else does so I might as well try it out in real combat. The blast radius is a bit larger than it first appears and the ease with which you can take out people who think they're safe behind cover is staggering. Even if you only ding someone with the edge of the explosion, at base durability you can usually take them out in two hits. And given how I've seen my opponents react in general, I think that some people are so used to the sound of rapid fire signifying damage, that they don't react immediately to the single "thwok" even if it essentially took out half their health.

The only real tricky aspect relates to painting the floors: you want to aim at a slight upwards angle to maximize the amount of paint that will actually touch the ground. With the right airburst altitude, you get some really good coverage despite the low rate of fire. (Of course, if the projectile itself actually impacts a surface it might as well not have exploded at all.)

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:39 am

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:16 pm

The miiverse posts are amazing.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:36 pm

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:45 am

THIS POST REMOVED FOR INSUFFICIENT CONTEXT

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:52 pm

THIS POST REMOVED FOR INSUFFICIENT CONTEXT

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Oh man, the Octodad one, that's brilliant.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:57 pm

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:22 am

So aerospray is basically king for turf wars, but the .52 gal deco is proving to be mighty fine for splatzone.

Also it is fab.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:34 pm