Rising Thunder

sei

Rising Thunder

Postby sei » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:30 pm

Hey, kids. Do you like punching things? Do you like robots? Do you like...punching robots?

Rising Thunder, a f2p fightan' game without stupid inputs*.

Read more about Rising Sun on PC Gamer.

via Ziiro.

* Fuck you, Necro's Anger (DF,HCF,B,F + P).

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Rising Thunder

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:54 pm

I... is that a fighting game I might actually play?

*neowhoa*

patito

Postby patito » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:38 pm

I always wanted a Rise of the Robots remake.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:48 pm

JoxamTheMighty

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:25 am

oh right this

beatbandito, also I have three keys to give out to friends, ooh-ah!

It's pretty fun, basic but with enough to keep interesting. So far of my three games though I've had two lag out MYSTERIOUSLY in the last round of the last match against people I was wrecking. So hopefully switching isn't already an issue here, but otherwise that's just some unreliable connecting.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:56 am

I think the problem is that its just an alpha, dude.

sei

Postby sei » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:39 am

Looks like I got in.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:40 am

Damn, I missed it - could I grab one of those keys Beat? My brother signed up though.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:24 pm

My initial impression of the game was slightly unfavorable; the last thing that I want to do in a fighting game is watch the cooldowns for 3 different abilities. I'll give it more of a chance later, but I despise that moves are placed on arbitrary cooldowns instead of being balanced around meter or recovery mechanics.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:11 pm

I kind of share Defen's opinion of the game right now, but I haven't been able to give it a fair shake because the game keeps giving me fps ranges between 20-50 fps at seemingly random intervals. Having access to only 3 normal attack buttons is really boring.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:34 pm

Defenestration wrote:My initial impression of the game was slightly unfavorable; the last thing that I want to do in a fighting game is watch the cooldowns for 3 different abilities. I'll give it more of a chance later, but I despise that moves are placed on arbitrary cooldowns instead of being balanced around meter or recovery mechanics.

I know, the .2 second wait between specials in long chains is just killer.

Joxam wrote:I think the problem is that its just an alpha, dude.

Well, know. Not when it only happens right when the opponent is about to lose. I've seen it in matches I wasn't doing so hot in as well though, and in a few videos I've watched. There definitely seems to be markedly worse slowdown during the second round of a match though. So that may actually be stemming from some poor design.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:55 pm

People plug pull me all the time. It's not just you, or the alpha. Though I have had legit disconnects as well that are probably that.

As for the game itself, I like it so far as it goes. Cooldowns don't bother me particularly in view of the fact that this is an eight button fighter with each special and your super mapped to a button. It creates a different sort of meta-game that I started to enjoy in matches. For instance there is what is essentially a Shoto in the form of a girl-bot named Chel. She has a fireball that she can throw out about as often as Ryu can, she has a invincible reversal shoryu style move, and she has a flippy kicky horizontal thing that you might mistake for a kind of a Tatsu, though at certain parts of the move you seem to be able to duck under it. Anyway, if she whiffs that shoryu move, not only do I get to punish it, but I also know she can't do it again for another few seconds. Learning the cooldowns on other characters, and the whiff animations for their specials, is therefore very important. With that knowledge I know that I can come in from the air, or pressure her wake-up more aggressively than I would otherwise be able. Keeping track of your own cooldowns is relatively simple, it's keeping track of your opponent and what they can do that's hard.

The obvious goal of all of this is to remove the executional barrier to entry that is nigh universal in fighting games of this type, almost like Smash meets Street Fighter. It mostly succeeds, but I don't know how many people want what it's doing. For my part, I'm still waiting for SFV. I like this game, but I have no real desire to get good at it. I can see the depth in some of the systems (Move loadouts, kinetic defense vs kinetic advance, and as always combos), but I'm in no hurry to plumb them. I will be taking periodic looks back in as the alpha turns into a beta turns into a game, which is apparently how we do things now. The roster could do with a little expanding, and the idea of every move having at least one alternative is very interesting.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:03 pm

beatbandito wrote:
Defenestration wrote:My initial impression of the game was slightly unfavorable; the last thing that I want to do in a fighting game is watch the cooldowns for 3 different abilities. I'll give it more of a chance later, but I despise that moves are placed on arbitrary cooldowns instead of being balanced around meter or recovery mechanics.

I know, the .2 second wait between specials in long chains is just killer.

If it was just .2 seconds, then it would be effectively spammable. This is not always the case. There are some that have CDs as long as 3 seconds, which is obviously something that you would have to monitor in something that moves as quickly as the modern fighting game. In most fighting games I can know when or when I (or my opponent) cannot do a move just by monitoring the actions of my character (or theirs), which is in the screen real estate I am already focusing on. I do not need to glance at a clock to know when I can or cannot shoryuken, the state the character is in tells me that already.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Okay, so you have no issue with cooldowns, just wish the indicators were a part of the character model or something other than separate icons. I can get behind that.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:17 pm

So it seems like there's a problem with the giveaway codes

That is, uh, impressively lame. How do you fuck up basic access codes like this? It's a good thing these aren't paid keys or else holy crap.

Luckily one of the two codes Beat had left worked for me, so I'll be able to try this soon. I'm on as Mongrel.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Dicked around with this for a match or two. Still have an overwhelming sense that I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's somewhat less overwhelming than the usual fighting game.

I sort of wish I could get it to recognize my gamepad; my usual preference for keyboard and mouse notwithstanding, that might be a bit more comfortable to play on.

I know it's the Alpha, but it'd be nice if there was a matchmaker or something so I could arrange to be beaten up by one of you (and that way I could actually talk to someone and learn something) instead of randos.

malikial

Postby malikial » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:08 am

Rising thunder now has lobbies so we can play together. Also, what the fuck is wrong with the match making system? I, in my 4th match EVER as a carbon 2-3 newbie, got matched against a LEGEND ranked player and proceeded to take a full match and 1 round in the other 2 matches off him. Literally almost beat him. I mean, it was 8:30 in the AM so he coulda just been tired but what the fuck. Note: I DID win every previous match. But still.

Editing this to note that, the reason this shocks me is that EVERYONE in #FF and the boards knows I'm SUPER bad a fighting games. So I dunno how I'm doing good at this one.

malikial

Postby malikial » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:33 am

Played a bunch more, won 12 out of my first 15 matches. Beat every person I faced who was gold or lower and the 3 I did lose I lost to 2 legend ranked players and a Diamond ranked player. Game has some REALLY shifty ass match making. Niku suggested it was because the queue was so small(less than 50 players) and that I WAS winning matches against people ranked higher than me.