Metal Gear Solid Memorial Thread and BBQ Grill

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Metal Gear Solid Memorial Thread and BBQ Grill

Postby Smiler » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:08 am

There's a funny post going around theorizing that Konami has been taken over by the yakuza and is making bad decisions on purpose to launder money, but that sounds too good to be true.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:51 am

François wrote:4. It seems Kojima managed to make his telekinetic assassins, undead psychics and lightning-powered Russians feel... grounded and restrained somehow. Like it was weird but it still kinda fit.

Step 1: Come up with something really crazy and off the wall.
Step 2: Make it very drab and dry.
Step 3 (optional): Sprinkle some vaguely plausible exposition on top.
Voila! Metal Gear!

It's all kind of ridiculous and silly and wait how did I buy all the games

Smiler wrote:There's a funny post going around theorizing that Konami has been taken over by the yakuza and is making bad decisions on purpose to launder money, but that sounds too good to be true.

Do you think... the Patriots are somehow involved?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:47 pm

When Kojima sticks ghost shit into Metal Gear it's bizarre and interesting and, most importantly, doesn't take center stage. This right here is just the ghost of Metal Gear trying to awkwardly dry-hump The Last of Us.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 am

I've been wondering lately: would it be out of line to just kind of disregard Sahelanthropus?

It just seems too incredibly out-of-place in the mech evolutionary timeline, even with the consideration that Snake fired his one and only robotics genius. Like, you'd think someone in R&D would've at least kept some post-it notes or a stray hard drive with plans for the ST-84, Peace Walker, or Zeke. To go from that to the TX-55 is just... Who made this thing? Immigrants?

But then I remembered how we were dealing with such an unreliable narrator in this game, what with the shrapnel-induced hallucinations and all. So would it be weird to pretend that we weren't seeing things as they truly were with Sahelanthropus? That it was actually something much more down-to-earth (as much as an MG unit could be, anyway), but it just looked like a freakin' Gundam thanks to Snake's brain spike?

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 am

Also you have to remember that it literally doesnt work. He has to have a magic kid to get it to walk because Skull Face has a hard on for a tank that can stand upright despite him being told over and over again that its impossible. In that regard i can see them scraping the whole damn thing once skull face is deposed.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 am

Even if it did work, building the thing requires, at the least, 23 tons of depleted uranium. Outer Heaven was at best a single large military camp.

TX-55 makes sense to me, though, as a natural result of a guy like Big Boss seeing (and subsequently clowning) this series of giant obvious rocket targets. The OG Metal Gear is stealthy, which is the entire point of the thing - you're not supposed to know where the hell it's firing nukes at you from. It's also rock fucking solid, and the only real way to kill it even in its incomplete state is to disrupt its systems in some kind of elaborate manner. It's Big Boss himself in giant robot form, and criticizing it for not being huge and impressive is the sort of thing he'd smirk at, not try to justify.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:45 am

Metal gears in general were always supposed to be part of a military unit and even then they should be able to win a giant-robot-on-single-man fight but they never do. Bipedal tanks are cursed and Sigint was right and he only made everything worse by going against his instincts and eventually working on one.

Also I think the reason why the metal gears were supposed to be impossible to destroy in OG Metal Gear was the very grounded idea of "One dude can't destroy a tank, so why would a walking tank be any different?" Of course MGS crushes that in more ways than one.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 pm

But you DO destroy a tank in Metal Gear.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Smiler wrote:Metal gears in general were always supposed to be part of a military unit and even then they should be able to win a giant-robot-on-single-man fight but they never do. Bipedal tanks are cursed and Sigint was right and he only made everything worse by going against his instincts and eventually working on one.

Also I think the reason why the metal gears were supposed to be impossible to destroy in OG Metal Gear was the very grounded idea of "One dude can't destroy a tank, so why would a walking tank be any different?" Of course MGS crushes that in more ways than one.

There are plenty of historical examples of a single dude knocking out a tank, actually (including a Soviet cook who knocked out two on separate occasions).

But it's fair to say that the average soldier was not expected to do so. That's why you're right to say tanks are expected to be part of a military unit, because they need infantry for close support, the same way battleships or carriers need destroyers and other smaller support/cover ships.

Otherwise some cook or snake climbs up your blind spot and bites you on the ass.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Brentai wrote:But you DO destroy a tank in Metal Gear.

Oh right. I forgot about that.

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Sahelanthropus is a barely-functional product of insane hubris and military pork-barrel spending. Just because it walks like a man doesn't make it a more effective weapon than any of the later models.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 pm

LaserBeing wrote:Sahelanthropus is a barely-functional product of insa-

IT'S 1984 AND I HAVE A SWORD MADE OF FLAMING BACTERIA FIBERS

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:32 pm

WHAT PART OF "INSANE HUBRIS" DID YOU MISS

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:19 am

You also literally need one magic kid per sahelanthropus to fly beside it and control it with their mind. Mass producing them is clearly out of the picture.