Xenoblade Chronicles X

sei

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Postby sei » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:29 pm

I've been having a lot of fun exploring the world of Mira.

The world design is interesting. There're aggressive enemies way above your level that you're expected to sneak past. The world design is gorgeous and there's definitely a bit of a platforming element. You will occasionally Skyrim-hump your way up some odd wall geometry, though.

Gives the world some sense of being a living ecosystem.

Some of the text is really hard to read, but I'm still pretty much balls deep into this and enjoying myself without having to look too much stuff up.

Considering some dumb gimmick like a low hp backstab build. No clue whether it would work.

Dual Sword Backstab Setup
Skills of Possible Interest
  • Speed Gimmick (50% art CD reduction during melee combos; scaling will kind of depend on whether all these various +X% damage bonuses are multiplicative or additive) - Galactic Knight 5
  • Back Blade (+125% melee arts damage from behind) - Commando 5
  • Sword Arts - Raises dmg during Melee Combo +100% - Blast Fencer 10
  • Core Crusher (+150% damage done with ether) IF ether damage weapons trigger this - Psycorruptor10
  • CQC - Crit Rate +50% during Melee Combo - Samurai Gunner 2
  • Burst Ether (+50% damage done with ether) IF ether damage weapons trigger this - Blast Fencer 1
  • Muscle Arm (+30% melee attack) - Striker 7
  • Mind Seek (+20% potential for TP art damage) - Enforcer 2
  • Crisis Beat (+30% crit, when below half health, bonus doubled below 25%) - Full Metal Jaguar 7
  • More realistically, a bunch of overdrive extension shit.

Relevant Arts
  • REQUIRED
    • Blood Sacrifice (halve your HP to get 1000 TP)
    • Primer or Upper Hand (both give improved crit; Primer also gives TP, but requires you keeping Dual Guns)
    • Shadowrunner | TP Aura (+potential, boost damage done from behind). Seems like it'd be a good safeguard when using a low HP build. The other safeguard would be Elma giving Decoy via Ghost Factory. Killing Machine (melee acc, melee atk, potential) might be more damage contributed. Can't tell, due to the skills not giving numeric values.
    • Electric Surge (aoe damage scaling with how low your hp is)
    • Hundred Shells. TP dump. (Replace w/ Sword Stream for more damage.)
  • FILLER
    • Damage: Back Slash: 400*300% * 125% from Back Blade?
    • Damage: Shadow Strike: 300*400% * 125% from BB? + Fatigue, but worse CD than back slash
    • Purple SV / combo lead: Side Slash
    • Ranged SV / Sword Stream Activation: Violent Streak or Sliding Slinger.

Interesting thing here is that almost all of this is done using dual swords. If taking Upper Hand, dual guns can be dropped for whatever.

Also, I suspect that you keep the stats from equipment not currently in your main hand, so if you find a gun with crit boost + sockets, you can just slam +melee attack bonuses into said sockets and have them benefit your dual sword damage.

Other thoughts:
Hundred Shells vs Stream Edge. Hundred Shells is 2100% damage (14*150), bonus damage from behind. Stream Edge is 2400% damage (6*400%), but bonus damage requires ranged combo (read: tougher to respond to soul voices with).

Shadowrunner is also non-combat stealth. USEFUL.

Misc notes:

François

Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X

Postby François » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:00 pm

I made it to Oblivia today, and I'm having a real problem in that I have to stop every twenty seconds to take a screenshot because it feels like I'm running around in an old-school sci-fi novel cover.

The various interlocking systems take a bit to get used to, and I had some trouble getting up to speed at first, but at some point it just sorta clicked and now I can see a sort of elegance to everything. It feels like there's a hundred things to do, and there's not a single one of them I'm not interested in. Even looking at the class tree, I can't help but want to to do everything at once. It's a good thing I need to work on my LP because otherwise I don't know how I'd ever pull myself away.

If there's one real thing that's bugging me a little, it's that I suspect Elma was intended to be the main character early in development, and when Monolith switched gears to include a custom player avatar and multiplayer stuff, it's like they went to her and said "yeah the producer's kid wants top billing, so we're bumping you down to main support role", and she puts up with it because dammit, she's a professional. Of course the plot is mostly an excuse to set you loose on an alien planet, so in the end it's no biggie.

sei

Postby sei » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:28 am

Developing a sneaking suspicion that Hundred Shells (dual sword art, not dual guns) is using ranged attack instead of melee attack. I've got about 6 times as much m.atk as r.atk and the numbers I'm seeing with it are inconsistent with my other melee skills.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:16 pm

I've got a Photon Saber long melee combo build idea percolating in my head, but I need to streamline it, I think.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:45 am

TP dump may be less of an issue until I have eternal overdrive in a comfortable spot. The guy who made the video below says he used hundred shells in his build. I'm kind of wondering whether it might just be more damage to use an aura instead.

This dude should dump primer or upper hand, but it's something akin to what I might be going for.

François

Postby François » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:58 am

Dang, this is blowing my mind, I'm still running around trying to find out what color of lasers I want to shoot.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:51 pm

So, TP art damage runs off of weapon damage + potential. It ignores melee attack / ranged attack. This explains why Hundred Shells was doing fuck all compared to my non-TP art attacks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:13 pm

I think we all know it was because you were trying to use an Axe skill as a Necromancer, sei.
ImageImageImage

sei

Postby sei » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:31 pm

maybe if the air spikes weren't eating me we'd have enough GCDs to see if my dream build works

come on guys i'm on the ball inventing worthless late-tier dk "hero class" ever passed blizzard's lips

In other news, Japanese Dual Gun overdrive shenanigans.

And a 'Murican supposedly killing Telethia 537 times.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:14 am

I beat the story. So, basically, fuck dual blades / positional attacks in this game.

• Flying monsters will make it a huge pain in the ass to see which way is "back."
  • Other mobs will bury their backs in the wall due to AI.
  • Large mobs can't reliably be run through when they spin, and will knock you back and topple you.
  • Characters with a multitarget taunt, but no single target taunt, seem to not taunt on single target fights, meaning mobs are spinning all over the place unless you multipull, which is something you want to avoid as dual blades anyway.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:16 pm

Photon Saber thrives by hitting the front. You get a TP boosting art when you hit the enemy's front.

sei

Postby sei » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Longsword gets trivial triggers like "aura is active" or "melee combo."

The various guides I've been seeing online suck and I'm considering putting one together, or at least a bunch of links that say where to find shit.

sei

Postby sei » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:03 am

Probably just a point of interest, since everyone would be drifter for the 5th skill slot, but...

Class Base Stats

Class Stat Coefficients (I assume gear multipliers).

source