Jiggling boobs for some, off camera butt slaps for others

Spooky Skeleton

Jiggling boobs for some, off camera butt slaps for others

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:30 pm

Regarding the discussion about feminism in videogames and the way the heroines are portrayed in them, “Street Fighter V” has been criticized because of two characters seen as extremely sexualized – including the Brazilian Laura.

In an interview for UOL Jogos, the producer of the fighting game series Yoshinori Ono guaranteed that Capcom wants to erase that notion so that their game doesn’t disturb the female audience.
“Our objective with ‘Street Fighter V’ is to start over from zero”, explains Ono. “We want the professional players and the casual fans of the series to return, but we also want to reach those who have never even touched a fighting game. So we can’t have something in the game that makes people think, ‘This is not acceptable’”.

Originally, the fighter Rainbow Mika slapped her butt during one attack sequence, but the action was removed. That led some fans to question if some kind of ‘censorship’ had occurred.
“We didn’t make any change because of external influences”, reassures Ono. “Those changes came up internally. We decided to remove that because we want the biggest possible number of people to play, and we don’t want to have something in the game that might make someone uncomfortable”.

The objective, according the producer, is to have characters that people like, and not put them off the game. “Probably we won’t be able to remove everything that could offend someone. But our goal is, at least, to reduce that number as much as possible so that they think ‘Ok, there is this issue here, but it is within the limits’. We want that everyone can play and enjoy without worrying about anything else”, he says.

“Street Fighter V” will be launched for PlayStation 4 and PC on the February 16, 2016.

*The journalist travelled at the invitation of Sony.

This whole "trying to appeal to more people" thing Ono said about the changes to R.Mika's Critital Art is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. No one is going to be offended over cheese cake Mika slapping her butt. What they are going to be offended over is the fact that so far in the cast, other than Karin, every single female character is a sexy girl with big tits on display for young boys to ogle. I mean, what the hell is up with Laura's pants? Why is her butt circled? They'd need to do a lot more than change where the camera goes during their cheese cake wrestler character's CA to fix this. They'd need to stop living in misogynistic Japan and learn that in a game that is ostensibly not about fucking, they maybe shouldn't make almost every single woman sexualized.

Look at a game like Gigantic https://www.gogigantic.com/

It has lots of female characters who - get this - just look cool and aren't sexualized pin-ups for guys to fantasize about. There's nothing wrong with sexy characters, guys like sexy characters and girls like to be sexy characters, but when it's literally the ONLY THING on offer for women or people who want to play as a woman, It becomes very off putting for women and doesn't really invite them into your game. "You're only allowed to be here if I want to fuck you."

The other problem is that even the characters who are sexy, in SF, they always seem like they don't have any sexual agency or power. It never feels like Cammy is sexy because she decided to dress up sexy and show off during her fights. It just feels like she's inadvertently dressed in this bathing suit and then the camera takes advantage by staring at her tits and her ass. Isn't Cammy meant to be the sinewy, lithe, skinny military character? Why does she have big tits all of a sudden in SFV?

I would be all for a character like Poison, dressing provocatively and doing stuff like grabbing the camera during her win pose like Hugo does, but instead of slamming it into the ground like he does, instead jamming it into her tits or butt and then throwing it to the ground and walking away while blowing it a kiss or something. That would add personality and match her character well. BUT NOPE, THAT'S TOO SEXUALLY AGRESSIVE FOR A WOMAN IN JAPAN so you'll never see that. It's all girls getting quietly raped on subways and strong tsunadere characters who eventually love the dorky guy.

I love all this sexy stuff, but I also think there is room for cool or funny or spooky characters who are female and aren't sexy. I also think that women deserve to not be insulted by a game immediately from the pick screen. Where are the female equivalents to characters like Gouken, Birdie, or Dan? Street Fighter 3 made some decent strides forward with characters like Makoto and even Alpha had people like Karin, but why are there so few and why are they always little girls? Oh right, because these games are made in Japan where women are daughters or wives first and so women are either some one I want to bang or someone I want to take care of.

It's too little too late, Ono. Stop making Mika's super look dumb as some token nod towards progressiveness. It's condescending and insulting to the people who complain about stuff like this and shows that you don't actually understand why they are even offended in the first place. Protip: They aren't scared of seeing a butt get slapped.

patito

Re: Jiggling boobs for some, off camera butt slaps for others

Postby patito » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:52 pm

Are you angry that Mika doesn't slap her butt anymore? I'm not sure what you're getting at over here. The super move's function doesn't change at all because of the butt slap and it certainly doesn't look any dumber than it always has been.

There certainly is a lack of variety of female characters I can agree with that.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Removing the butt slap is missing the entire point, and betrays either childlike obliviousness or willful misunderstanding of the criticism.

Spooky Skeleton

Re: Jiggling tits for some, off camera butt slaps for others

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Are you angry that Mika doesn't slap her butt anymore? I'm not sure what you're getting at over here. The super move's function doesn't change at all because of the butt slap and it certainly doesn't look any dumber than it always has been.

She still slaps her butt during the super, it's just off camera now. Also the ending posing of the opponent doesn't have their legs doing such an exaggerated splits for some reason. I guess so that if the opponent happened to be a female character it would be less rude? I'm not honestly sure about that part.

Removing the butt slap is missing the entire point, and betrays either childlike obliviousness or willful misunderstanding of the criticism.

BINGO

What I am getting at is that the old Super animation and camera work was appropriate. Rainbow Mika is a sexily dressed wrestler who's trademark move is slamming people in the face with her butt. The ship has sailed on making her an "in-offensive character". If she is going to taunt the opponent by slapping her butt before squashing their head between it and her partner's, then just have her do it. Having the camera not show her hand actually hitting her butt ruins the aesthetic of the character for zero progressiveness gain because the animation of her super was never the problem to begin with.

Street Fighter V and Street fighter in general has a sexist approach to its female characters. It's taken steps in the right direction over time (remember when Chun-li was the token female character?) but it still has a lot of room for improvement. Ono saying "Well, me and the team agreed that to be more inclusive to women, we would sloppily edit this super" seems very reductive and patronizing of why anyone would have a problem with the game in the first place. For a detailed description of it's problems, I direct you to my previous post.

I was really happy with how inclusive SF4's cast was, it had a butt-load of female characters. But it's hard to overlook how every single one of them is sexy or a school girl. Then SFV comes out and other than the obligatory Chun-li (who looks exactly like she always has despite the underlying idea that all the classic characters would look "older" in this game) we get Cammy who's bathing suit is now molded to her tits which are now framed by belts, and Laura, a huge boobed Brazilian whose pants for some reason turn into a weird inverted palette thong x-ray shot around her butt for some reason.

I think that with that reality being there, stark and obvious for all to see, them deciding to not linger on a butt-slap to be "more inclusive" seems very insincere and stupid.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:33 pm

It's a half-assed token gesture, which is always vastly more pathetic than just ignoring criticisms and carrying on like you give no fucks.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:52 pm

Spooky Skeleton wrote:Look at a game like Gigantic https://www.gogigantic.com/

Also this game's aesthetic is really cool, I just wish their site wasn't massively crashing my browser for some reason right now

Spram

Postby Spram » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:24 am

Why not just remove Rainbow Mika altogether? She looks so stupid.

You say Karin isn't sexualized, but she's a schoolgirl. Looks completely out of place. Get rid of her too.

Is Chun Li sexualized? I only remember her from SF2 and I know you can see her panties with some moves but it's not like she's shoving them in your face. E Honda and Zangief show more crotch than she does. Chun Li is alright! Keep Chun Li.

I haven't played much Street Fighter since the SNES days but most of the newer characters look stupid.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:10 pm

I like Rainbow Mika but I would have liked if they had updated her to be a less sex-toy looking character. Instead they took away the hearts over her tits and replaced them with a big heart-shaped cleavage cut out that is preposterously low to the point that if she did any actual wrestling in her outfit, her tits would just flop out constantly. What's annoying is that her partner Nadeshiko actually has a really cool design and looks way less stupid than Mika. Why don't they just have matching outfits?

The thing is, they could have their cake and eat it too; if they just provided a substantial amount of non-sexualized characters then it wouldn't seem weird that they also had a character like Mika. When when you're dealing with a situation where every female character has to have big bouncing boobs, she comes across as just a final slap in the face.

Chun-li is one of the least objectionable designs. Yes she's a china-doll stereotype, but that seems appropriate next to flat top, military base Guile, and peaceful, emaciated Dhalsim. Besides they branched out and made more creative and diverse characters in Street Fighter 3 so the overall cast is pretty decent. They just keep going back to making two stupid sexist decisions for every one step forward they take.

We want to make a new bad guy for Super SF4.

Okay, how about a Korean woman, we don't have a tai won do person yet.

Alright, better make her an aggressive fem-fatale because there's no other way a woman can be a convincing villain.

I LIKE Juri and I LIKE Mika as characters on their own, but the problem is the ecosystem that they exist in is annoying because of its constant reminding to us of who its authors are and what their views on certain people are.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:47 am

Spooky Skeleton wrote:I was really happy with how inclusive SF4's cast was

Lest we forget, Capcom made it a point to insist that burly Turkish oil-wrestler Hakan was so not gay you guys we promise that he had a wife and seven kids.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:30 am

Street Fighter doesn't really have any openly gay characters except for Eagle (and possibly the new boss character for SFV, F.A.N.G.). But it has been assumed by the fan base for a long time that Zangief is a homosexual due to his unique fight start animation with Eagle in CvS where they twirl around each other and the fact that one of his dislikes is listed to be "beautiful women of marriageable age". Also I mean, he's a huge, practically naked, burly dude who fights bears in his spare time; as the most manly character in all of Street Fighter, I think it would be fitting that he prefers big muscly guys as lovers.