Also, here's a bunch of nerdy-ass voice actors playing said game:

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Tabletop & Board Games

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:27 pm

A friend got Thunderstone Quest from the recent kickstarter, and it's great. If you've played Thunderstone Advance, it's a lot of the same ideas, but with some different mechanics and twists. I'm planning to get it myself once they've got it in stores. Only downside is the box is the size of three Dominion boxes stacked.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun May 13, 2018 12:54 am

<3

François

Postby François » Sun May 13, 2018 2:19 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 13, 2018 3:29 am

Someone's got to paint a set like that...

With two techpriest adjutants. One with a bad combover and a limp cigarette and one with a prosthetic leg.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 27, 2018 12:00 am

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Hey, I know I haven't been around, but I just wanted to check in

to make sure that nobody is playing Shadowrun 5e, because that shit is garbage

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:49 pm

I just got back from Origins Game Fair, and picked up a few new games. One that blew my mind was this one: https://lumoamuzo.com/products/preorder ... 2-dec-2017

It uses a lantern to project light onto the tabletop, forming a changeable board. O_O He's got two games for it and is coming out with more. It's beautiful and so clever.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:52 pm

oh, I think I've seen that being demonstrated. It is neat.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:14 pm

There's nothing in the rulebook that says a doggo can't be a wizzizzard.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ru ... =user_menu

Not a bad price for 13 minis either...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:10 pm

(very end is NSFW, due to nightmare Slaanesh bewbs - very cool model, actually)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Actually I'm not even sure that's the best video they did this week.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 pm

The new White Wolf really is this bad:

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:19 pm

I've been doing my usual digging into obscure and interesting systems, and I've come up with something of a gem:

Genesys is from Fantasy Flight Games, and it's a more generalized version of what they have been using for their Star Wars Roleplaying game for years. Which is to say: Specialized dice rolled in a pool that have 6 different results.

The results can include a number of combinations of the following:
Success/Failure
Advantage/Threat
Triumph/Despair

Success/Failure is obvious.

Advantage/Threat is "Something good/bad happened unrelated to you succeeding or failing." My go-to example of Success/Threat would be "You attempt a trick shot, but after hitting the target successfully it ricochets and breaks a window."

Triumph/Despair is a far more glorious or dire version of Advantage/Threat. The bullet wouldn't just break a window, but it would hit a bystander.

In combat these manifest as a sort of currency the GM/players can spend to attach different things to the attacks/results. For example, if you roll a threat on your attack, the enemy(GM) can spend it to make your gun jam or make you fall over.

I have yet to try it in an actual play, but it has very interesting bones about it.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:40 pm

I play a weekly Edge of the Empire game and have so for year or so now.

I love the system.

There's a fun economy with light side and dark side tokens on top of the advantage/threat mechanic. See, at the beginning of each session you roll a special d12 that tells you how many tokens of what color you get. And then at any time a player can flip a light side token to upgrade a roll and the GM can flip a dark side to upgrade one of their rolls. Add on top of that two special dice (blue and black d6) you can add to your rolls depending on how much or little of an advantage you have on your roll, you have a very complicated sounding but very easy to learn system with a lot of flow back and forth.

I have a heavy weapons guy who has three talents he can activate during combat that adds a blue die to allies, add a black die to enemies, and can use left over advantage to impose mental strain on enemies simply because I have a big imposing gun.

I have the Gensys rule book now and am going to be running a Transformers ruleset of my own creation sometime soon. It's surprisingly easy to craft a system to go over it as the skills and feats don't matter mechanically. And the only numbers there really are are just the healths and damage. Everything else is just how many dice you roll to try.

Fantasy Flight has this neat idea with Genesys where they are putting the mechanics out there and encouraging the community to just post their settings online so you can just play Dark Heresy but this ruleset or Pathfinder But Fun. Deep nerds were going to skin and homebrew your rules anyway. Might as well encourage it and profit from it.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:38 pm

I do have to ask: In your games you have played, can you give me some examples as to how you've played out Success/Threat and Failure/Advantage outside of combat?

I struggle to sit through actual play podcasts for examples, because it never stops being weird hearing other people roleplay.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Sure thing. In one instance we had to infiltrate a small turret tower in a battlefield by hacking a door. Our slicer rolled success and threat so the door opened halfway and got stuck. We were able to get in but it no longer kept the enemy (and their lasers) out and moving through the doorway slowed us. Our barbarian decided to fix this problem with brute strength and rolled similarly. He slammed the door down but broke the actuators, sealing us inside.

Another instance was our old crewmate was trying to haggle at an illegal weapons shop and rolled success/despair. The dealer put the weapon on the counter and saw on his pricing tablet that there was a bounty out for our crewmate. A big fight started and, due to poor rolls and poor planning, eventually we lost our crewmate. To our now boss.

Another point in time I was trying to buy a droid part. A failure/triumph could lead me to not be able to buy it but find it on a trash heap which leads into shenanigans.

Conversations are a bit trickier to do them but say you are lying. A success/threat could lead to them thinking you are telling the truth but an idiot. Or them planning to betray you later. A failure/advantage could have them seeing through your bullshit but appreciating your effort.

What I really like is every option isn't not only cut and dry, but allows you to be a lot more cinematic. Like in the droid part example, my character is dejected and leaves the store only to find the exact part on a pile. Is it trash? Did someone buy it? If I take it and run, will someone notice? I love that built in system. I can do the same thing in D&D where the rules are more rigid but it feels at times I'm fighting the system to do so.