Tabletop & Board Games

Lottel

Re: Tabletop & Board Games

Postby Lottel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:20 pm

As for podcasts for this system, I haven't found one I really liked. They all pretty much ignore trying to teach you how to play and expect you to either learn by context or just not care about the mechanics.

Now that I know the system so well, I might try again but I don't recommend using them to learn.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:25 pm

So I've ran two sort of test/half sessions so far with my growing player group, and I am absolutely enjoying this system.

I think that it fits a nice gap between the "This is too narrative"(FATE) and "This is too much crunch"(SHADOWRUN) camps of my mind that have caused me to struggle with things that aren't D&D for a while.

There's a lot to like about the system. I particularly enjoy the Advantage/Threat spending in combat, because it really gives you a reason to Pay Fucking Attention even if it isn't your turn to think about what would be most advantageous.

It really helps that Star Wars Adversaries and Genesys Emporium exist to make running and teaching it as painless as possible.

One thing that annoys me is that Discord has yet to build in a "Shared tablespace" into their app that lets you just draw in a shared spot or share images. If it had that, Roll20 would probably be dead for anything that didn't require macro enabled character sheets to be playable.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Skulltaker: The Most Warhammer Model Ever

This is pretty damn great xD

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Their arguments are sound, but he's not actually pointing accusingly into the middle distance with the other hand, so there's still everything to play for.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:10 pm

I'm generally a fan of everything that Red Raven Games has made, but I am extremely hyped for this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/95 ... escription

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:09 am

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 pm

If Wendy is the queen then who is her burger kiohhhh I get it

It's always weird to remember that the pigtailed mascot is based on a person who is very much real and still alive.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:21 am

lol i love it

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:03 am

The new Sisters land raiders are shamelessly, hopelessly, gloriously over the top. It's absolutely hilarious and I love it:

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:41 pm

Mongrel wrote:The new Sisters land raiders are shamelessly, hopelessly, gloriously over the top.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:47 am

My favourite detail there is the space pope's hand looking like every technophobe boss hesitantly pecking at the function key row. Did they model a bunch of post-it notes and an inspirational calendar on the inner face of those wings?

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 am

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Ah, a reason to repost the best video on youtube

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:22 pm

launching a HeroQuest battle royale

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:30 pm

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:27 am

Against my better judgement, I want to try running some simple pen-and-paper games with my son and whoever else might be interested. Like, just some one-page throwaway stuff since he's only five years old. I've wanted to try this kind of thing for years, we're stuck at home, and he's horribly bored, so it kind of feels like a thing to do.

The thing is I've never DMed before and I've only played a handful of scattered sessions. I think I understand how things work more or less, but that's not a whole lot of experience over a very long period of time. Access to rulebooks shouldn't be a problem; I can probably a high school friend or three for rule books or pirate PDFs. And when I searched for single-page scenarios, I got this Reddit post and it looks pretty good.

Still... I dunno. Anything in particular I should know before I try this?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:24 am

Paging Friday.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:48 am

Going to link to https://prokopetz.tumblr.com/post/63562 ... e-for-a-gm here just on the offchance that anyone's not aware. Guy's a bottomless well of GM ideas, advice and pointers to good light game designs.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:36 am

I'd love to give you advice, but my shit has always been long form, serious campaigns. And I mean loooooong form. We just passed the ten year mark on the current campaign.

My philosophy with lighter, sillier DnD is basically just run something as close to Adventure Time as you can. That show perfectly captured what lighthearted DnD is all about in its better episodes.
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:51 am

See, he even channels Friday.
Prokopetz (again) wrote:Big chunks of Adventure Time are pretty specifically parodying Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition, right down to the show’s actual logo – seriously, compare the Adventure Time logo with the D&D3E logo some time – so that’s definitely one way to go, particularly if you want to delve into how the balls-out weirdness of the worldbuilding is reflected in the mechanics of play. (Which is frankly about 80% of 3E’s appeal, if we’re being honest!)

However, if you’re just interested in capturing the tone of Adventure Time, any version of D&D might be a little heavy for your purposes. If you’re not opposed to the Apocalypse Engine, might I suggest Fellowship? It feels like it strikes a good balance between game-mechanical weirdness and lightweight travelogue fantasy for this purpose, and the central conceit whereby each player character is an exemplar of their culture or species with collaborative GM-like authority over those aspects of the setting and worldbuilding that pertain to their people is a great recipe for taking the game’s lore to some deeply strange places, as long as your group is up for it. I think it’d work especially well for a game every member of the party is one of the setting’s ubiquitous Adjective Princesses, which is something I’ve been planning to run for a while now.