Stardew Valley Has Harvested My Fucking Soul

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Stardew Valley Has Harvested My Fucking Soul

Postby Mothra » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:32 am

I just played this for 8 hours straight. Good lord, what just happened.

If I don't get that silo up soon these chickens are gonna bankrupt me.

Friday

Re: Stardew Valley Has Harvested My Fucking Soul

Postby Friday » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:35 pm

I really, really love the idea of games like this (Harvest Moon clones, or whatever you want to call them) but in practice, having a time limit on me, all the time, and a deadline for when you can and cannot do things and a deadline for when the game just suddenly ends...

I spend the whole game worried and anxious that I'm not being efficient enough. Then I inevitably fuck something up and cry myself to sleep.

Anyway Stardew Valley is really, really good, I just can't play it because I am a crazy person
ImageImageImage

Postby Newbie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:35 pm

Yeah, I still haven't made it out of the first season yet. It's a delight, but right now it's mainly a vicarious delight.
tiny text

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:28 am

I really do wish I could play this game. It's a really great little experience with a surprising amount of depth. But my weird-ass anxiety won't let me enjoy it. If only there wasn't a set end-date. Then I'd be able to be okay with wasting some days just doing fun stuff.
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:29 am

Friday wrote:I really do wish I could play this game. It's a really great little experience with a surprising amount of depth. But my weird-ass anxiety won't let me enjoy it. If only there wasn't a set end-date. Then I'd be able to be okay with wasting some days just doing fun stuff.

I will say that pretty much every single day, in-game, I am in full sprint across my farm and the town trying to get every conceivable thing done before my character passes out at 2am sharp.

Like, I wake up at 6am on the DOT, SPRINT out of bed to my box of gems, feverishly gift it to my wife, speed-read everything she's saying before planting a kiss and then IMMEDIATELY leaving the house to collect the eggs and OCD pet every individual chicken and duck in the most rigid, efficient manner the confined space allows, tossing their eggs in the mayo machines as I pass them like a car in overdrift and leaving as quickly as humanly possible.

Once the crops have been watered it is back into a full sprint to town, where I collect my corals on the beach, reset my crab traps, sell to the fisherman to clear my inventory, then DIVE into the sewer cap to gift Krobus The Void Walker a nice diamond and check his inventory for sprinklers.

The day continues in this manner until I am inevitably barrelling back to my house in a direct line at 1:50am, minutes from passing out. I burst in the door, pull a HARD 90-degree turn by my wife's bedside and LOCK into bed without taking off my clothes or emptying my bag of fish and trash. I fall asleep instantly.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:17 am

You wife wakes you up at 4 in the morning.

"Honey, I had a bad drea --"

You vault out of bed and dropkick your wife into a wall, knocking her unconscious.

Later, as the sun comes up, a rooster crows 10 seconds too early. You respond by shooting it point blank with an anti-aircraft cannon. Your entire farm sinks ten feet into the ground. You leap the 100 meters to town, crushing Jojo Mart to paste. Holding aloft the mashed guts of the townspeople who worked there, you leap again, landing in front of the fisherman's shop. Selling the crushed human intestines of the women and children you murdered as chum for 5 gold, you leap again, landing on and killing your wife.

"Now she will not slow me down in my acquisition of the geepees," you mutter under your breath as you harvest her organs for fishfood. A letter arrives in the mailbox, prompting you to set fire to your actual computer and room.

As you exit your burning house, you begin the systematic slaughter of all plant and animal life within a 50 mile radius. A hobo glady accepts your mutilated offerings in exchange for some bits of gum and string.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:23 am

That, uh, doesn't sound fun at all.

I mean, if I wanted to run around consumed with anxiety about all the stuff I'm not doing before I collapse from exhaustion at 2 am, I don't need a video game for that. That's what real life is for.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Yeah, you guys make this sound like a typical freemium game.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:23 pm

(It is actually really fun and calming, I'm just obsessed with making as much money as humanly possible in the game right now)

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:06 pm

And on that front, Oxi discovered that berries (either blue or cran) are by far the most profitable cash crop in the valley, since you only have to plant them once, and they produce every two to three days. Once you get the greenhouse up and running, that comes out to somewhere between 30k-40k every few days, which is obscene.

Once I bought enough Iridium sprinklers from the Krobus using my crangold, I stopped needing to water anything, including the greenhouse. Now it's just gravy.

I'm now spending my time courting the dwarf (which may or may not be a euphemism for heroin???? ;) ;) ) and harvesting hard wood for my final expansion on the chicken coop. Spent a day each season in the second year making sure I caught each of the legendary fish, too, so now it's just down to the hardest and most impossible of them all.

Anyways here's some gameplay from the only video on youtube that didn't start with "HEY EVERBODY THIS IS THE TRONSTER READY T-":

Rico

Re: Stardew Valley Has Harvested My motherfucking Soul

Postby Rico » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:40 pm

I am taking the slightly more measured approach of waiting until I have access to better sprinklers to go crazy trying to pack too much into my day. I'm really amazed at how good the game feels, though. I had waited a bit on picking it up because it's a style of game I normally don't go crazy about, but damned if my first play session wasn't 6 straight hours without even the slightest idea it had been that long.

Not too far in, but just about to the point where I think I'm ready to put some serious crafting together to make my farm as beautiful on the outside as it is on the inside.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Friday: There is no end date. There was previously a date by which you would basically have had to hit peak, but now you can redo the 'end-game' event to get the best reward whenever.

Also who waters? Sprinklers automate everything. I've been building slowly and making deliberate moves (fucked up the bundles though and that's killing me coming into second year) and yeah, berries + sprinklers means 1-2 of each month is crazy busy, then I'm done with animals and have the day to myself by 8am for the rest of it.

And once this summer rolls around I'm buying out starfruit stocks to last the rest of the year in the greenhouse for some Starfruit Wine to make a 3200g - 5000g profit per seed. Or about 650g per day times the number of kegs I have running (currently 10, up to 116) once the process starts. I prefer to keep the soullessness confined to one building so I can build the rest of the farm stylistically.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:37 pm

So I'm thinking I want to buy the game but I don't want to have my life consumed by more fantasy agriculture?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:28 pm

It will 100% consume your life with fantasy agriculture, that I can guarantee.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:21 pm

Oh cool, yeah, just go right on ahead and sit on my horse, Alexander Hamilton. No big D.

Also: This song is good:

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:22 pm

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:22 am

I can't begin to image how your character feels about this, based entirely on his appearance.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:23 am

TOOT TOOT
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto