Mein Kraft

atog

Re: Mein Kraft

Postby atog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Hey miners and crafters,

We may have an option (or several!) for hosting at least for the next year or so.

A co-admin at our former server has created a small whitelisted vanilla Minecraft survival server and we're looking for a few good builders.

Lou is a longtime minecraft buddy and has been running servers since 1.4.2. She's a web designer/coder from Scotland and has written a number of scripts/plugins in her own right.

She has hosting for a 1GB server paid up through the year, with 12 player total capacity. We are running totally legit survival vanilla with no plugins, no Bukkit, no mods, and no permissions system. If you wish to check us out, look at our discord postings and let me know if you want to be added to the whitelist:

https://discord.gg/WHqTXX

Again, she is looking for mature players with good communication skills and a community-oriented ethic who are okay with the honour system and plain vanilla "features" of the PC game.

The rules are pretty simple - Don't be a dick. No drama, no cheating, no whining, and no politics/religion/racism/other-trolling-and-stirring-up-of-shite. Be trustworthy and take responsibility for your server experience there.

She is open to the idea of upgrading the account to say, 1.5 or 2 GB and adding in multiworld capabilities if players who want these things can pitch in some money. She's not looking to make money off this, it's a personal friends-and-family affair to get away from toxic pubby environments and youtuber politics. (You're welcome to stream your experiences on the server as long as you obey the rules while you're doing so!)

The third option is we can buy our own 1 GB server for $35/year and do our own thing, I'd be willing to help set it up; but since I do not want to be admin anywhere, you can guess what my preferences would be.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

atog

Postby atog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:00 pm

ebwop: if you do join the chat please identify yourselves by your forum name (and post here or pm me when you do drop in with your discord SN) so I can let her know it's not the terrible armies of Edward Longshanks

thanks

Postby Newbie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:25 pm

I joined the discord; looks like my Discord username is "jsnlxndrlv". I also showed up briefly as "Apocrypha" because apparently I used to us Discord for wow raiding, it looks like? But somehow I had multiple registrations saved.
tiny text

atog

Postby atog » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:55 pm

We can probably take on about 3 more people before we reach the point of needing to toss in a little more money to expand the player cap and get more rams.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Sadly, satire. There's no way to get sub-block precision like that in vanilla Minecraft, and doing this in modded Minecraft wouldn't be impressive because you could just install the Web Displays mod and then log into Twitter on there and block Notch from inside Minecraft.

Postby Newbie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Sorry I haven't been on the server in a while; wtf been unusually busy at home the last week. I'll be on again soon, though!
tiny text

atog

Postby atog » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:43 am

cross-posting from Good Gamery:

Brief background: for a few years now, Mojang has been porting Minecraft to various mobile and console platforms. Each is a little bit different, and limited in some way.

Then Microsoft bought Mojang and started working on a Grand Unified version of Minecraft that would let all these different platforms cross-play with each other, and with the PC version (the "Better Together" update).

The Java version of PC/MAC/Linux Minecraft we all know and ridicule, they have promised to maintain independent of the BTU. A separate, Win10-specific version of PC MC is, however, part of the BTU.

The major goals of Better Together were:
--allow for cross play of console, mobile, and PC versions across all platforms; multiplayer sharing of previously console-bound maps, servers, and builds
--let mobile players have skins, mods, plugins, and custom world types
--standardize the code across all the versions so updates would only need to be coded once

It rolled out this last week. Here's what the r/minecraft folks have to say about it so far:

"Oh...cross play doesn't exist unless u pay $20 a month for a Realms server through MS and get no mods whatever"

Oh I own the hard copy of mc for Xbone, but nope, still need to have a XBL gold subscription to be able to even play it now. Welp

in addition to Gold you also need Realms which btw is BROKEN for Xbox

Can't go to the end

Going to hell in trial edition loads a dumbed-down, cherry-picked feature rich version. This overwrites any other nethers you had if you imported any

Transfering and importing worlds and saves between devices is nearly impossible and if you manage it, it will scramble your seed and cause monuments and other special spawning algorithm areas to pack up and disappear

because of differences between controls, xbox users are getting the shaft when migrating to pc or mobile

oh yeah and they get random chunks corrupted and escarpments/regens when loading old xbone worlds into BTU including overwriting entire worlds save for the spawn chunks

In case you're wondering...iOS doesn't work either

And for 3DS/4DS/Switch users, an unhappy glitch that said they needed to buy the BTU from the windows store even though they own console versions; same glitch also affected some xbox players

Once you pay twice, and get your world to work in Windows 10 because every other platform has had major issues, then you run afoul of the nanny chatbot for saying "bed", "game", or many other item names; or the names or acronyms of any other multiplayer game; or like, anything. Two strikes and you're out

People trying to bail on the Bitter Together update are having the devil of a time converting their old console and mobile worlds to java pc. I imagine this will be unpopular with Microsoft and you can bet they will tinker with the save format so it's all but impossible to convert; they're stuck with Realms or XBL to filter the saves.

Let's give a big round of applause to Microsoft for taking a viable indie game and absolutely, unequivocally gutting it :golfclap:

This response sums it up rather well:

Moriarty wrote:geeze

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:17 pm

...huh. Nephew just started playing it and I was planning on trying to set up some online play with him.

Hope he's using the Java version.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:19 pm

She didn't even mention that the Xbone version is going to force mods to be gated microtransactions. Because OF COURSE.

Postby Newbie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Man, that all sinks majorly. Wish my PC were functional so I could resume the java version, but I'm glad I never tried to supplement that with another platform version.
tiny text

atog

Postby atog » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:38 am

You can still play the next-to-latest version (the last one before the big update) on your xbox. It won't let you share it though. Just make sure you have a decent copy of any worldsaves somewhere that's not your XBL account, or move it and/or rename it so it doesn't get accidentally'd when you actually do update.

My guess is, because xbox is Microsoft's own console, they will bust their ass to iron out any major bugs affecting xbox players. The rest, eh it will happen, or it won't.

It is possible to run minecraft java on a win10 box. They're separate installs and will appear differently in the launcher, or have different launchers entirely (not clear on this). If you're at all worried about it though, whenever minecraft prompts you to upgrade, decline and use your existing version.

As for multiplayer, Mojang has posted instructions on how to start a local multi server (lan, probably) without having to buy Realms.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Switch is pushed back "until a much later time". Hopefully this is more of the complaints of bugs and what not we are hearing about and not because of other, less friendly rumors.

atog

Postby atog » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Yeah, the 3ds and switch players have the worst of it, for 3ds it was horribly limited and kludgy to begin with, and for Switch it doesn't exist.

Just play Java for now if you can. An active modding community means you can craft your cake and eat it, too.

atog

Postby atog » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:26 am

We are officially allowed to vote a mob into the game now! (The sketches seem to show 2 flying mobs, one tanklike mob with lots of short legs, and a fourth that could be flying as well)

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Creeper that flies 16 blocks above ground level, then drops on you.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Head first.

atog

Postby atog » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Theoretically, this mod can be used to duplicate blocks. Sheepy eats one diamond ore, then drops 1-3 on shearing:

I guess the net cost is the fragile nature and derpy unpredictability of sheep physics. One moment, Dolly eats a precious ore, the next makes a beeline for a pool of lava. Or, before you can shear the diamond out of her wool, she grazes up a gravel block.

atog

Postby atog » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Does anybody still play adult legos?

Because with the latest preview updates, it's beginning to look a lot like Subnautica:

They've also added some new weapons and water mechanics, sadly that means old water mechanics (and the automated farms and machines that run on them) broke.

And the vote-a-mob "Mob B" is in the game, in a test version of itself so it's sort of mindless and drops only leather for now.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 pm

Does anyone have Bedrock edition? It's the new Console and Pocket Editions.

It's crossplatform and that includes shared saves and built in multiplayer that mojang hosts themselves.