Mein Kraft

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Mein Kraft

Postby Mothra » Thu May 25, 2017 11:37 pm

Asked my brother and he said it's probably best to start your own if you have a small group. Finding a decent existing server to join is hard as ballz.

Check around every community you frequent and see who might have a server.

Also: Alternatively: Give Terraria a shot

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Yeah, that's part of why I was asking if there was enough interest here for a new startup. Or even 1-2 people to put on a potential list.

She knows very well that there's a serious dearth of good servers. I'd almost say it's a business opportunity, but she has no desire to be a full-time server owner.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri May 26, 2017 6:44 am

I would be up for it, but I would probably lose interest a week in?

malikial

Postby malikial » Sun May 28, 2017 1:23 pm

I like crafting mines sometimes.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun May 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Put me down for "maybe." Minecraft is an easy game when you have a baby, but I know you guys have gone for servers with expansions that make my head spin.

"Alright, BrontoCraft server! Let's get some stone bricks and- wait, is that a functioning TARDIS parked in front of a functioning nuclear reactor?"
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed May 31, 2017 6:30 pm

Oh shit I should move that before it gets towed.

Also, I am always down for some motherfuckin minecraft.

Postby Newbie » Wed May 31, 2017 8:30 pm

I have 24 more hours available every week. I can spend some of those in a mine; sure.
tiny text

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:16 pm

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:18 pm

I'll happily go in for a managed MineCraft server. Let's... let's not try to roll one from scratch again.

Just out of curiosity though, would anyone be more interested in Ark instead?

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Funny, I was just messing with Ark for the first time in forever. Des kind of bogarted the game for a while, actually. Lots of opportunity for shenanigans without jumping completely up our own asses with mods like we inevitably will with Minecraft. I can totally set up another Dodo basketball court and I'd look forward to seeing whatever fuckery you lot get up to. Especially if we tuned the gathering and taming rates to be less of a bullshit grindfest.

Oh, and it's on sale on steam at the moment so that's nice.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Oh hey, it sure is. Thanks for pointing that out.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 pm

I'd be down to play Ark intensely in small bursts for about a month again.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:21 pm

Right the fuck on.

Though I may be just a little bit wrong about the mod thing. Most of them seem pretty dispensable but there's one that lets you play as a dinosaur and there's no way we can't have that.

des

Postby des » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:02 am

*heavy breathing from in the shadows*

Nermal's ready.

atog

Postby atog » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:04 pm

1.12 (the "Colourful" update) is scheduled to hit live tomorrow, for those who want to play Adult Legos.

Mongrel and I will cook up a test server here at home - just the basics, mind you. A server platform, a whitelist, and some basic security and anti-grief plugins mostly intended to protect us from acts of Nature: corrupted chunks, a lava puddle burning down an entire rainforest, endermen walking off with lit furnaces filled with our hard-won ores, etc. Everything else vanilla af.

No tardises (Tardes?) or nukes. Same deal as last time - Zanzibarland for hard survival, BigShell for creative snowflakes.

If y'all want to do Ark instead, that's cool too. Just let me know if you change your minds.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Endermen can take furnaces now? I thought they were limited to "soft" blocks you can collect with your bare hands, but then again I haven't really played in a long time.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Postby Newbie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:06 pm

I should make some sort of mouse-clicking prosthetic device for when the Minecraft urge strikes. My poor fingers.

Also, yeah, Endermen can take practically anything now. Cover your house in water.
tiny text

Postby Newbie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:36 pm

atog wrote:Mongrel and I will cook up a test server here at home - just the basics, mind you. A server platform, a whitelist, and some basic security and anti-grief plugins mostly intended to protect us from acts of Nature: corrupted chunks, a lava puddle burning down an entire rainforest, endermen walking off with lit furnaces filled with our hard-won ores, etc. Everything else vanilla af.

No tardises (Tardes?) or nukes. Same deal as last time - Zanzibarland for hard survival, BigShell for creative snowflakes.

Just say when and where!
tiny text

atog

Postby atog » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:31 pm

The good news is, I have a little nilla server running at home that's got all the basics. I'd need to add folks to the whitelist and work out a way to auto backup the map once or twice a week. Other than that, it's hosting ready.

The bad news is, no clear options for hosting it somewhere.

The main reason no hosting is because we are poor, hatless, and to some degree, Irish.

That said, one of the admins at a forum both Mongrel and I hang out in has run a forum-based server in the past. He said it's possible (but not a slam dunk) we could park a very small server there, on two conditions: a) we can probably only have 5 people on at any given time; and b) we'd have to share it with the folks there, and it would technically be "their" server

Most of those folks are adults and I don't think they'd be assholes about us playing there. There's a minor concern we wouldn't have as much control over who else joins (friend of a friend of a friend), less consensus over the mods we use or the rules of conduct, that sort of thing. The 5 people thing is a downer though. It means we'd be seriously constrained how much of the world we could die in explore, and pretty much scuttles any big co-op projects or LPs.

There's also Tux2, who authors major plugin packages for the big youtube minigame servers, and ran a Minecraft server forever and ever back in the day. I sent her a message and hope that she has a moment to stop and recommend some solution (above and beyond the obligatory "Format your hard drive and install Linux Mint").

If anyone knows any cheap hosting, we're looking at about 2-3 GB here. But Mongrel and I don't really have a lot of space in budget for maintaining a hosted account over time.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Postby Newbie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks for the followup! Good points. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things work out smoothly.
tiny text