Mein Kraft

sei

Mein Kraft

Postby sei » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:37 am

So, I hated vanilla Minecraft the few times I tried it.

A friend roped me into playing a modpack called Beyond Reality, which had Gregtech in it, reinforcing my hatred of the game.

Same friend roped me into Direwolf20 (a Feed the Beast variant) and it clicked.

I'm balls deep into automating ALL THE THINGS using Applied Energistics 2, have tons of power coming in from big reactors and magmatic dynamo arrays maxing out EnderIO conduit, and am pillaging earth, sea, and skynether using ender quarries and mining lasers.

Partying like it's 2010.

also i guess starbound is hitting 1.0 sooner or later so if i get bored with this i have other options

jk starbound isnt hitting 1.0

Yoji

Re: Mein Kraft

Postby Yoji » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:50 am

Minecraft isn't cool anymore? I was just thinking I should try it again when I don't have to spend so much time on the baby, which at this rate looks around... at least six months?

Wait, Starbound still hasn't dropped version 1.0? I haven't kept up, at least not since I used the "distress beacon" for the first time and got flattened by penguin storm-troopers riding a flying saucer.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:59 am

I have some fun with Mince Raft from time to time, especially in stuff with lots of automation. And/or Blood Magic. Blood Magic is fun.

I'd be especially interested in stuff that has Ars Magica 2 but from what I understand, AM2 is not particularly stable.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:59 pm

The girl and I had a server going a year or two ago with a pretty good cluster of mods. I tend to gravitate more toward stuff that adds adventuring content and not so much more tech and automation, so it was mostly stuff like Twilight Forest, Aether, Mystcraft, etc. I also stuck Thaumcraft and Witchery on there just for the sake of screwing around, which bit us in the ass when an unnoticed corrupted node started spreading filth just out of sight of our home. We had to hurriedly pack up everything and make a dramatic escape from a rapidly spreading carpet of purple shit and corrupted sheep with tentacles growing out of their eye sockets. I ended up going back much later after I got the hang of thaumaturgy and put the damn node in a jar, which I put on a shelf, beneath a sign reading FUCK THIS THING IN PARTICULAR. Good times.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:09 pm

I showed this to you on chat a little while back, but yeah, my younger brother's really been getting into the FTB Infinity Evolved mod for Mein Kampfcraft:

I still can't get over how unbelievably complex him and his buddies' reactor setup is. It's really cool to see first-hand.

It also leads to situations like this, where he joined to the sound of a nuclear reactor klaxon:

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:12 pm

My favorite is still Dimensional Doors. If only because I'm not allowed to break the game with Equivalent Exchange anymore.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:17 pm

I fucking adored Dimensional Doors, though it hasn't been updated in forever. There was some kind of teleportal mod that had a lot of the same functionality, but was just way the fuck more complicated. Mostly I just liked coming across random doors on a beach somewhere, even if they were disappointingly free of 80s junkies and paraplegic crazy women.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Sharkey wrote:I motherfucking adored Dimensional Doors, though it hasn't been updated in forever. There was some kind of teleportal mod that had a lot of the same functionality, but was just way the assfuck more complicated. Mostly I just liked coming across random doors on a beach somewhere, even if they were disappointingly free of 80s junkies and paraplegic crazy women.

I know there's RFTools for making personal customizable dimensions, but it's complicated and requires a lot of power generation.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:53 pm

The RFTools Screen + modules are pretty nice, too.

Mystcraft also has some sort of other-dimension stuff. I don't think it costs RF to maintain, but I heard it can bog down servers if you're not careful about it.

I've been digging EnderIO, ThermalExpansion, and Applied Energistics. Extra Utilities and Big Reactors have been pretty important.

And Minecraft isn't worth fucking playing without NEI (Not Enough Items). The ability to look recipes up without having to go to a fucking wiki is really nice.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:19 am

so let's stop beating around the bush

who's making this server

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:48 am

If we're doing this, I'd suggest Test Pack Please Ignore 1, it has the magic mods I'm interested in, exploration mods for people like Sharkey, the usual suspects for automation and tech.

sei

Postby sei » Sun May 01, 2016 4:56 am

Looks like a lot of the standard FTB stuff?

Eyebrow-raisers: the TPPI mod list seems to include an old version of AE (I think the AE2 stuff starts with rv2 or or rv3?) and Gregtech.

I mean, Thermal Expansion and EnderIO are there, so you can maybe ignore Gregtech, except for its ore generation adjustments (i.e. Gregtech ore placement involves larger veins, but fewer of them). Or maybe it modifies IC2. I'm not clear.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun May 01, 2016 2:08 pm

Old AE isn't necessarily a bad thing, AE2 made several things extra obnoxious if I remember correctly. There may be a way to update AE and/or remove Gregtech by editing the modpack and making our own version of it? I just want to cast crazy magic.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun May 01, 2016 11:10 pm

My brother says you're all welcome to check out FTB Infinity Evolved on his server, if you're curious.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu May 19, 2016 11:33 am

Alright, done with The Phantom Pain, but not quite ready to revisit Xenogears... Let's check in on the Minecraft realm. It's been a whi-

Wait, I can hold things in both hands now? There's shields now? Wings? The End is actually worth visiting?

...how long have I been out?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu May 19, 2016 1:38 pm

Mostly I just liked coming across random doors on a beach somewhere, even if they were disappointingly free of 80s junkies and paraplegic crazy women.

The man in black fled across the desert, and Sharkey built a giant butt that never stopped pooping.
ImageImageImage

sei

Postby sei » Thu May 19, 2016 7:10 pm

So, a bit of warning. EnderIO's top tier fluid conduits can cause a ridiculous amount of both server and client lag if you build too large of a network with them.

The server was taking forever to let people interact with things (elevators, blocks, ME systems).

Reducing interconnection between nodes in the network helps. So, a grid is the 2D worst case scenario, and a line is the best. Breaking the network up with buffer containers (drums, tanks, whatever) might also help. Switching from Ender Fluid Conduit back to Pressurized Fluid Conduit could help too, but fuck the throughput reduction.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Starr is currently an admin on some rando Brit server. Reposting her description of recent proceedings:

We are generating some automated staff responses to spammy FAQ asked by noob players. In the past we would just send them to read the rules, but this is too great an onus on the average unwashed peasant, so we have designed some modbot responses tailored to keywords. my assignment was "inflammatory or inappropriate builds"

Admin forums wrote:"Can I build a concentration camp/swastika/burning cross/IRA flag pixelart/massive dirt and packed ice lingham"

/mr risky : At your own risk. Projects with specific racialized/sectarian hate symbology tend to be beset by mysterious occupational accidents and materiel shortages. If you must build a shrine to Der Fuehrer do it somewhere others can't 'accidentally' see it.

"Yeah but but how bout that lingham it's not about hate it's a symbol of prosperity and good fortune"

/mr wiener : We here at ES appreciate a good dicking as long as it evidences a decent amount of effort, design skill, and material quality. That said, don't get cocky. A remote woody in the woods will cause less friction than a town-centre erection. Go nuts, but be prepared to move your master-piece on a moment's notice.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:53 pm

If you don't get the point about getting the point you'll get the point.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 25, 2017 2:12 am

So Starr resigned as senior admin from Endless Survival after it was taken over by alt-right out-and-out nazis (in case you think I'm exaggerating, the ownership chose to ban all the Jewish kids or defenders of same - some 20% of the paying customers - after they dared to protest the return of an old-time admin whose username was "Jewsaretrash").

Soooo she's looking for a new server.

Starr asked me to see if there was interest in another Brontokraft server, or failing that suggestions for good servers to join that don't have much nanny programming and some utilitarian options available (though she's used to and quite happy with pure vanilla survival as long as resources are available, as opposed to some large servers where everything has inevitably stripped bare)

She's happy to pay some moderate money for membership in a GOOD server.