Bravely Second: Character/Asset Recycling is Getting Away with Mrgrgr

sei

Bravely Second: Character/Asset Recycling is Getting Away with Mrgrgr

Postby sei » Mon May 16, 2016 7:08 pm

So, like the first four chapters of the previous one, this game is fun.

Dialog is a bit more memorable than the previous. Corny asterisk holders, over-the-top voice acting. It's less bland; I'll give them that. Cú Chulainn is kind of Zoah x The Tick. And Nikolai's voice is Iron fucking Tager (Jamieson Price).

They reused some maps and music, but everything else is shining brightly enough that I don't mind.

Then again, BD had a ton of good will until Chapters 5-7, so maybe BS will find a creative way to squander this too.

BUY THIS GAME SO I CAN HAVE MORE MOON PEONS, YOU FUCKERS

pacobird

Re: Bravely Second: Character/Asset Recycling is Getting Away with Mrgrgr

Postby pacobird » Mon May 16, 2016 9:06 pm

post your friend code, nerd

I'm...it's okay. It may be everything is just less fun because I'm doing all the same Bravely Default things but without a Revo soundtrack, but the whole deal kind of feels...fan-fictiony? All the goofiness is there, but BD knew when to give you a little tension and pathos and I'm just not getting that from this one at all. Edea eats a lot and says Mrgrgr. Tiz has no personality, which would be hilarious if the rest of the game led me to believe it was intentional.

Job system is on point and they nerfed a lot of the really overpowered BP generation builds (though My Hero/Mimic is just as broken as ever), and they give you access to a lot of the BD jobs while denying you some of the broken ones. Like, you can still Phoenix Dive/Minus Strike if you want to, but Spiritmaster's out so you can't protect yourself with Stillness. I'm glad Fort-Lune has no weapon or armor shops, for basically the same reason.

The chain-battle bonuses make organically finding the right power curve impossible, which they lampshade by posting recommended levels for every dungeon on the minimap. I'm still hella overleveled.

Rico

Postby Rico » Mon May 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Did you get a new DS, Paco? I have you on my DS but it's not pulling into Bravely Second when I Add Friends.

I'm at 1349-5833-9081

sei

Postby sei » Tue May 17, 2016 1:15 am

1950-8788-0101

Edea eats a lot and says Mrgrgr. Tiz has no personality,
You left out Edea being a violent knight! But yeah. Tiz is a boring milquetoast. I was surprised they brought him back.

sei

Postby sei » Tue May 17, 2016 5:31 am

So, these mobile game mechanics (read: waiting) keep sneaking in.

Chomp production.

Meta: scissors/glue get you back into snack time. Snack time makes brush worthwhile. Need to pop snack CD @ ~6s (7s safer) remaining marker because of animation time. Lower snack times -> lower animation; can cut it pretty close on lower snack levels.

Money intake ramps up when you get Scissors 3 (Fallen Angel) + snack...2-3 + an okay brush.

Scissors 3 + snack 2-3 = full tray in 2 production waves.

Brush mostly matters on snack-powered trays. Stuffing has way less impact than rare colors + the related multipliers. Not sure there's much point to the stuffing.

Something like.
Scissors 1 -> Stuffing 1 -> Brush 1 -> Glue 1 -> Snacks -> Scissors 2 -> Brush 2 -> SNACKS -> SNAAAAAACKS -> Scissors 3 -> Brush 3 -> Glue 2 -> Scissors 4 -> Brush 4 -> Scissors 5 -> Brush 5 -> remaining glue -> lolwhateverstuffingl2scale

Took around 2h12m to max out.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue May 17, 2016 9:59 am

Yeah, had to update my sim card. My new code is 4442-1979-1515

sei

Postby sei » Tue May 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Added.

Damage Dispersion (WIZ) triggers Revenge (RDM). I wonder whether it could trigger Spellcrafted walls too.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:29 am

This is the Sharknado 2 of square games. They know exactly what they're doing and they have no shame. I think I might be enjoying it more than the original so far. It's nice to not have to worry that the a character you like will turn out dumb later on because they're all already caricatures of themselves anyway. And let's face it, the fact that they buffed up the grinding mechanics, and give them to you way sooner is what really matters.

Hoping they ever explain what Tiz's deal is, because it sure feels like they have no intention to mention it right now

I needed one more 'reliable friend' as I think the game calls it, to be totally OP early game. Bongo and Rico got be through the babby levels, now I've got Paco. Sei, join me, together we will mrgrgr this world into something great.

sei

Postby sei » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:46 am

I'll try to find it to add you. PM me your friend code. If I'm slow to respond, PM me or ask Defenestration on IRC to summon me via Steam or some shit.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:30 pm

P. Sure you just need to add me on the ds and the rest of the pieces fall into place. I forgot that BD players are too cool for the repository.

Beat Bandit 0147-0481-3342

And I'm just noticing that you're not on it, so I may need to add you when I get home, too.

I slowed down a bit and am just now starting the actual first act after they show you the intro video again like "lol, got you. That was still just prologue."
I like the Bigs / Wedge, Solt / Peppor soldier pair way more than they were given the effort to be liked, but I'm a sucker for the cliche.

The first side mission felt like an actual moral choice, the rest have been more obviously emotional v. practical choices. They all seem to be written so you made the 'right' choice no matter what, but I can't wait to learn how terrible they all were after this game's inevitable big shake up.

Still no word on who or what Tiz is. Nor why Edea was so distraught over him for two years, but just kinda shrugged off hearing that her father and life-long friend / romantic interest and adventuring partner died in the first ten seconds.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:18 am

I 100%'d it recently, if i'm on your friends list I can give youa Moonblaster ship.

And yes, they explain almost everything. So much so that I'm convinced BD and BS were designed as one story, split up into two for reasons.

Alex

Postby Alex » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:03 am

I too have a save whose power is maximum, if anyone would like to partake,

sei

Postby sei » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:10 pm

where the fuck did my 3ds go

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:19 am

Alex I have you added, but I see you share NONE of that love. Sei is trapped in an alternate dimension.

Rico man, you were with this company from the beginning. We really appreciate the work you put in, but I'm afraid you've been slipping too much. Max level ninja and exorcist are okay, but there are too many untouched classes. We'll write a reference for you, but have your desk emptied out by noon.

Alex

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:54 pm

beatbandito wrote:Alex I have you added, but I see you share NONE of that love. Sei is trapped in an alternate dimension.

My love should now be free, available and perhaps too tame for him.

Edit: If anyone needs me to confirm mutual friendship, just give me a holler and I will do so as soon as possible.