Poke a Mango

nosimpleway

Re: Poke a Mango

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:47 pm

swindle soiree wrote:I'd still trade Pokevision and these maps for the in-app one to work again.

When people ask me whether Pokevision counts as cheating this is the general thrust of my response.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:57 pm

Talking to friends about team choice.

me: "I chose the coolest team"
friend: "so Instinct?"
m: "no actually I went Mystic but I do think Instinct is cooler"
f: "nice, we're Mystic too"

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:06 am

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:29 am

“Pokemon go is ruining this generation”
Is it??
Is it… Really????

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:52 am

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:19 pm

I heard Enslave Animals and Make Them Fight Go had, like, thirty goddamn dicks
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:41 pm

The thing about Go is that sometimes you find particularly strong examples of things that are normally very small

like I found a CP 500+ Oddish yesterday

swole

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Man, people got super salty about Niantic shutting down terms of service violations.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:09 pm

I think people are annoyed about shutting down a third party service that provides functionality that should already be in the game, at the exact same time that they decided to remove what meager critter-finding functionality was already there. When the big criticism is lack of features it doesn't impress anyone when you take out features you already had while shutting down alternatives. Yeah, they could probably call the thing out as violating a EULA or whatever. They'd also be within their rights to shoot themselves directly in the dick. Doesn't mean it's a great idea.

Meanwhile, I hear they're hiring a community manager. Because apparently they never saw the need for such a thing before now. All together it leads me to the inescapable conclusion that they're not very fucking bright. Or at the very least didn't anticipate the necessary care and feeding when they were handed the goose that lays golden eggs.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:29 pm

You can't convince seven million people to play Marco Polo, then remove the Polo part and expect interest to remain high.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:09 pm

Sharkey wrote:I think people are annoyed about shutting down a third party service that provides functionality that should already be in the game, at the exact same time that they decided to remove what meager critter-finding functionality was already there. When the big criticism is lack of features it doesn't impress anyone when you take out features you already had while shutting down alternatives. Yeah, they could probably call the thing out as violating a EULA or whatever. They'd also be within their rights to shoot themselves directly in the dick. Doesn't mean it's a great idea.

Meanwhile, I hear they're hiring a community manager. Because apparently they never saw the need for such a thing before now. All together it leads me to the inescapable conclusion that they're not very fucking bright. Or at the very least didn't anticipate the necessary care and feeding when they were handed the goose that lays golden eggs.

The Three Step 'Bug' was a server feature that was turned off after the first few days because, presumably, it was causing too much problem. Then they removed the non-functional display and everyone threw a fit. They should've said "we're fixing it don't get your panties bunched", sure, but they did open up communication now.

nosimpleway wrote:You can't convince seven million people to play Marco Polo, then remove the Polo part and expect interest to remain high.

This is more like, nobody was being heard saying 'Polo' in the pool that wasn't built to hold 7 million people, and while it's unfortunate that currently that means nobody gets 'Polo', they're within their rights to ask the people handing out bullhorns to leave because they were disrupting the game and breaking the rules.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:23 pm

They could have used any number of valid justifications but instead they just silently broke it all as part of a much larger set of updates that mostly made the game less fun. The playerbase may not have been wronged per se but it has been very much disrespected.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Grath wrote:The Three Step 'Bug' was a server feature that was turned off after the first few days because, presumably, it was causing too much problem. Then they removed the non-functional display and everyone threw a fit. They should've said "we're fixing it don't get your panties bunched", sure, but they did open up communication now.

Yeah, it's the "presumably" that's the problem. There was a necessary feature there that worked(ish), then it was outright broken, then it was removed, then they shut down the third party gadget that served a similar function. Those things combined with an utter lack of communication led to pissed off users, which is really just... holy shit, do you fucking think? If players are annoyed it's not because they're entitled little assholes, it's because the developers were in way over their heads with this and are only just thinking "you know, maybe we should tell people what we're doing." It's great that they're doing that now. I'm just kind of awestruck that they didn't anticipate any need for a bloody community manager before shit hit the fan.

I don't even have a horse in this race. I'm still level bullshit and my biggest poke man is a pointy worm. But from the sidelines it really looks like they handled the first few weeks of this thing in the most bumbling, amateur way possible.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Brentai wrote:They could have used any number of valid justifications but instead they just silently broke it all as part of a much larger set of updates that mostly made the game less fun. The playerbase may not have been wronged per se but it has been very much disrespected.

The CEO gave a justification days before they pulled the trigger.
John Hanke, CEO of Niantic, on Thursday wrote:Yeah, I don’t really like [tracking sites]. Not a fan.

We have priorities right now but they might find in the future that those things may not work. People are only hurting themselves because it takes some fun out of the game. People are hacking around trying to take data out of our system and that’s against our terms of service.

Turns out 'in the future' was 'Sunday', I'm sure due at least in part to the tracker websites causing some of the server stability issues. Also, after the other fixes in that patch the game runs noticeably better on my somewhat-aging Galaxy S5.

Sharkey wrote:
Grath wrote:The Three Step 'Bug' was a server feature that was turned off after the first few days because, presumably, it was causing too much problem. Then they removed the non-functional display and everyone threw a fit. They should've said "we're fixing it don't get your panties bunched", sure, but they did open up communication now.

Yeah, it's the "presumably" that's the problem. There was a necessary feature there that worked(ish), then it was outright broken, then it was removed, then they shut down the third party gadget that served a similar function. Those things combined with an utter lack of communication led to pissed off users, which is really just... holy shit, do you fucking think? If players are annoyed it's not because they're entitled little assholes, it's because the developers were in way over their heads with this and are only just thinking "you know, maybe we should tell people what we're doing." It's great that they're doing that now. I'm just kind of awestruck that they didn't anticipate any need for a bloody community manager before shit hit the fan.

I don't even have a horse in this race. I'm still level bullshit and my biggest poke man is a pointy worm. But from the sidelines it really looks like they handled the first few weeks of this thing in the most bumbling, amateur way possible.

Niantic's other game is Ingress, which was nowhere near as popular (I think Ingress is like ~7 million people, vs PoGo's 80 million) and has notably suffered from similar lack of communication from the developers. Plus Ingress had no need for the tracking functionality that PoGo had, so that was definitely new code that may not have been sufficiently optimized. No further comment at this time.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:15 pm

Totally. It's just hard to imagine anyone seeing "augmented reality MMO with a Pokemon license" and not being all

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:29 am

Man is anybody still playing this or did Niantic pooch away their entire userbase

Anyway if you're having trouble catching the rarer mons have you considered going out in the middle of the goddamn night? That Clefairy you're looking for is more likely to show up at 3:30 AM!

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm still playing, albeit very casually. (Also, Niantic has managed like, astonishingly high player retention despite public perception of everyone hating it.)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:22 pm

I haven't touched it in at least a month, but still have friends that are active and starting, and see plenty of people poke-ing around in the popular spots at night.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:19 pm

I'm banned from Pokemon Go due to what I'v eread can be anywhere from "Too many people reported me because I would fight insomnia by driving around at 2am capping all the gyms" to "They think I played too much, therefore I must be a bot."

Okay sure.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:46 pm

"Banned for being Lyrai".