Poke a Mango

nosimpleway

Poke a Mango

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:43 pm

The sum total of my Pokemon Go experience thus far:

• "Our servers are experiencing difficulties. Please try again later."
  • My wife getting up and sprinting out the front door to try to catch a Rattata in our apartment parking lot. I am not sure what this says about our apartment.
  • A friend, who has previously shown no interest in the franchise, texting me asking for a crash-course in Pokeymans because he wants to be a major contender in the gym near his house.

Discuss Nintendo's latest effort to convince children to go outside here.

Grath

Re: Poke a Mango

Postby Grath » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:56 pm

Sadly there's no pokestops near my apartment, but I looked up the Ingress portals (because Pokemon Go's pokestops are, gee surprise, sourced from Niantic's other game's extensive database of pedestrian-accessible real-world locations) and every stop on my morning commute should be a pokestop -plus- the first one is at the train station so I'm not doing the Pokemon equivalent of Cargressing and risking running over a little kid who was chasing the same Magikarp I was.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:10 pm

I caught an Abra whose weight is listed as "XL" but its height is nothing special.

I got the fattest Abra you guys.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:16 pm

Flabra

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:20 pm

Perhaps he's magically delicious.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:45 pm

I'd wanted to get out and be active and maybe lose some weight this summer while I wasn't constantly exhausted from work. And Pokemon bribed me into taking about a two-mile walk today. If that's how I have to do things, okay fine.

I got enough Pidgeys to evolve into Pidgeotto. I got a couple Eevees and a Graveler. Apparently Ponytas and Digletts and Venonats are somewhere around, but I never ran into any.

My Eevee's hot blooded. Catch it and see. He's got a power of a hundred and three.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:42 am

PSA: There is absolutely no way to change your team affiliation after you set it at level 5 (except possibly by creating a new account), so if you have friends who will get upset if you're not on the same team as them, make sure you coordinate first.

Now for two pages of arguing about how I should have paid attention to the box art first.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:57 am

god damn nerds

I don't know how often the pokepoints refresh but there are four right on my block that will hopefully keep me pretty well stocked. My apartment is also in range of a gym so I don't have to go outside to be an asshole to kids now. Too bad I have nothing because when I tried to actually experience things last night the servers were down for hours.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:03 am

what do you mean I only walked 0.12 km with this egg

I was riding the tube and everything

Also, i might be over-endowed in number of pokestops

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:06 am

There's almost nothing in my town so I ran into a pokéball shortage. All my out of town friends keep wondering out loud who would buy pokéballs when there's so many pokéstops.

Well, who's got two thumbs and doesn't live in a major metropolis?

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:45 am

Brentai wrote:PSA: There is absolutely no way to change your team affiliation after you set it at level 5 (except possibly by creating a new account), so if you have friends who will get upset if you're not on the same team as them, make sure you coordinate first.

Now for two pages of arguing about how I should have paid attention to the box art first.

If it works like Ingress there's probably a way to change factions by submitting a ticket and resetting a bunch of progress and it'll take them like two months to process it during which time you can't play.

Lottel wrote:There's almost nothing in my town so I ran into a pokéball shortage. All my out of town friends keep wondering out loud who would buy pokéballs when there's so many pokéstops.

Well, who's got two thumbs and doesn't live in a major metropolis?

That was actually why I stopped playing Ingress too, way back when. We had like, five portals in downtown and that was a 10 minute drive away.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:59 am

zaratustra wrote:what do you mean I only walked 0.12 km with this egg

Movement doesn't count if it's too fast, presumably the top speed to be considered "walking" is around a reasonable speed for a small child on a bicycle.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:18 pm

nosimpleway wrote:
zaratustra wrote:what do you mean I only walked 0.12 km with this egg

Movement doesn't count if it's too fast, presumably the top speed to be considered "walking" is around a reasonable speed for a small child on a bicycle.

If it's like Ingress, the speed limit is approximately 20 mph.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:21 pm

beatbandito wrote:I don't know how often the pokepoints refresh

There was one at a mall food court I just ate at and checked in at 3 times in twenty minutes. Think it's more likely something to do with connecting to and disconnecting from gps.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:31 pm

beatbandito wrote:
beatbandito wrote:I don't know how often the pokepoints refresh

There was one at a mall food court I just ate at and checked in at 3 times in twenty minutes. Think it's more likely something to do with connecting to and disconnecting from gps.

If it's like Ingress, which so far Poke Mongo is very like Ingress, it's every 5 minutes.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:11 pm

5 minutes sounds about right. Every light rail station has at least one Stop, and waiting for a couple trains this morning I am plump with my balls.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:20 pm

nosimpleway wrote:5 minutes sounds about right. Every light rail station has at least one Stop, and waiting for a couple trains this morning I am plump with my balls.

Assuming all Ingress portals are Poke Mongo locations, the train station I go to in the morning should be a stop along with at least one of the stops on the way, Grand Central at the end of the train route, the subway station I transfer at either way I go to the office, as well as a location on each end of the office.

Bonus: Because my dad plays Ingress and I used to on and off, I've got two badass 13,000 mAh USB battery packs.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:27 pm

dang that's fast

I can just walk around my block and rack up unlimited balls

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:27 pm

beatbandito wrote:dang that's fast

I can just walk around my block and rack up unlimited balls

Again assuming Ingress similarity because this is basically Ingress 2.0: Now With Pokemon And Holy Shit So Many People Our Servers Can't Handle Them (but also there aren't any pokemon or pokestops really near my apartment and I haven't felt like putting on real pants and driving somewhere to play this yet): Ingress was set up as 5 minutes between hacking portals, after five times hacking the portal within four hours you no longer get anything until four hours after the first hack. I expect something similar here.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:14 pm

I'll give that a spin if I go out tomorrow and let you know. So far I've been able to reap the rewards from a single Stop several times with the five-minute delay, but don't think I've hit five times any given day, much less four-hour span.

After strolling around the park with my wife this evening, I have about half as many balls but am now ripe with eggs. My egg inventory is completely full, and my second incubator is on its last hatch.