Battlefield

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Battlefield

Postby Smiler » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:42 pm

Battlefield 1 is kind of fun. I'm not sure if i'm going to get it yet, but I'm having a lot of fun with this beta.

I managed to carry my team while driving a tank around. Which isn't really a thing you could do most of the time in BF4. There's kind of a shortage of ways to kill armor in this game, so that might be why I did so well. I wish I was recording because I managed to snipe a pilot out of his plane at one point. Like, I missed the plane, but hit the pilot. Rad.

Grath

Re: Battlefield

Postby Grath » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:58 pm

Smiler wrote:I managed to carry my team while driving a tank around. Which isn't really a thing you could do most of the time in BF4. There's kind of a shortage of ways to kill armor in this game, so that might be why I did so well. I wish I was recording because I managed to snipe a pilot out of his plane at one point. Like, I missed the plane, but hit the pilot. Rad.

You mean tanks were kinda overpowered in World War 1? Huh. It's almost like trying to deal with tanks was a difficult problem, requiring massive heavy-as-fuck inconvenient solutions.

(Full episode with historical information and more firing if you're interested.)

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:15 pm

I don't know how much you've been paying attention to the game so far, but they're taking a less than realistic approach to WW1. A lot of experimental smgs and stuff are in the game, and there are anti-tank rifles and grenades that work pretty good. They're kind of hidden in the customization menu and getting the unlocks are pretty annoying right now, hence the lack of anti-armor right now. There's an elite anti-tank loadout you can get in the field that absolutely wrecks armor, but its in the most remote section of the map.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Smiler wrote:I don't know how much you've been paying attention to the game so far, but they're taking a less than realistic approach to WW1. A lot of experimental smgs and stuff are in the game, and there are anti-tank rifles and grenades that work pretty good. They're kind of hidden in the customization menu and getting the unlocks are pretty annoying right now, hence the lack of anti-armor right now. There's an elite anti-tank loadout you can get in the field that absolutely wrecks armor, but its in the most remote section of the map.

Yeah, they're doing their best to make World War 1 -not- "sit in a trench for two weeks while your feet slowly rot off, then charge across no man's land during artillery fire and probably die before you get there", also known as the game Verdun. I mostly wanted an excuse to link to the stuff on the T-Gewehr because it's cool.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:26 am

Flying shitty WW1-era planes looks super fun. Do they all require two people, or do you get to do that whole take-pot-shots-with-your-pistol thing from the cockpit?

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:37 pm

Nah, they're pretty much just regular planes. The game seems to be using pretty much every bit of technology that had been conceived by the time the war was over, so there's properly timed machine guns on the planes and gyroscope sights for bombing. The dogfights are pretty fun since there are no homing missiles or anything. The bombers get a rad front gunner that can do some pretty good ground support, so that's cool.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:11 pm

I wrote an article years ago breaking down the settings of war games over the years, and WWI was the least popular by orders of magnitude, limited almost exclusively to flight sims, Snoopy vs The Red Baron, and maybe the occasional horror game. Vietnam and the various Iraq wars get more shooters. Obviously it's a conflict that needs to sacrifice even more realism than usual in the name of fun, but man, there so much bizarre stuff that will be missed. It'd be neat to have different scenarios with just the technology available at whatever point of the war.

And yeah, the T-Gewehr is fuckin rad in that it's the simplest design to do one job cheaply, uncomfortably, and with no bells or whistles. I saw one at auction in NV once, but I didn't have five grand for an antique gun that has no practical applications whatsoever other than killing antique tanks with antique ammo. Also, I'm not a fuckin weight lifter. I dunno, maybe as a present for Big Barda Des, if only to watch her do rifle drills with the damn thing.