7%
Vivian
No votes

Total votes: 27
Caithness

Re: Nintendo's Witch

Postby Caithness » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Copen wrote:Switch Friend Code: SW-6223-7913-7026

I've got Flip Wars, Brawlout,and DOOM, and FAST so far. I plan on getting ARMS, and Street Fighter 3.

Is Brawlout any good? I can't play Melee at all, so the touted presence of wavedashing makes me hesitant.

Copen

Postby Copen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:36 am

Caithness wrote:
Copen wrote:Switch Friend Code: SW-6223-7913-7026

I've got Flip Wars, Brawlout,and DOOM, and FAST so far. I plan on getting ARMS, and Street Fighter 3.

Is Brawlout any good? I can't play Melee at all, so the touted presence of wavedashing makes me hesitant.

Hey, sorry for not replying. I haven't actually TRIED Brawlout yet, so I don't know.

I figured I'd just try it and reply then, but that doesn't seem to be happening, so I figured I'll just say I'll let you know once I do try it.

It has Hyperlight Drifter though, so that's cool.

Copen

Postby Copen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:23 am

Okay, so I finally played some Brawlout. I think it's a good game for a system without Smash, or Rivals on it, but if Smash is Street Fighter than Brawlout is MVC. It's got quite a lot of brokenness, and bullshit. Hyperlight Drifter's fighting style answers the question of "What would happen if we added the best shit from Melee's Marth, and Fox?"

It can be pretty fun, but I wouldn't be playing it at Evo. It'd be a great Switch game at $10, and still a good deal at $15, but it's only at $20 because it's on a Smashless Nintendo system.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:59 am

So, seeing as how Online was an inevitability, I went ahead and grabbed a family plan and am opening it up to whoever on the chat/boards wants to join in. I can attach four more Switch accounts to this thing. If you want to attach yours, send me a PM; I'll need exactly $4.32 and the email address associated with your NNID.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:52 am

Got a discount on the Family Plan renewal, so if you're part of the family go ahead and PayPal me about three fiddy. Or don't. I'm not keeping track.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:19 pm

I would like to know how to get a discount on my family plan.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Uhhh Target was running a sale but it looks like it's over already. Sorry.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Can anybody recommend a good hard case for the full-size Switch?

These days I only leave the house once a week to get an allergy shot, but that involves sitting in my car for 20 minutes and I'm thinking it'd be nice to toss my Switch in a backpack on the way out so I can play something while I'm waiting.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:36 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:21 pm

Ars Technica's Sam Machkovech says the Switch's N64 emulation is a huge mess.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:19 pm

Are there deep copyright reasons that companies never use one of the amazing open source emulators that aleady exist, or is it mostly just Not Invented Here syndrome?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:12 am

I always assumed it was partially copyright (corporations want proprietary stuff, obv), but that really it's mainly the awkward dance where video game companies want to avoid acknowledging that emulators exist in the first place.

Postby Newbie » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:30 am

mharr wrote:Are there deep copyright reasons that companies never use one of the amazing open source emulators that aleady exist, or is it mostly just Not Invented Here syndrome?

Just gonna copy my friend's response from another forum:

the short answer is “UltraHLE” – N64 emulation is very inefficient, and you usually have an option between painstakingly reimplementing a lot of undesirable aspects of the original hardware with degraded sound/timing/blending, or implementing equivalent function calls, and (like PS2 emulation, its hideous RDRAM brother) most of the code that the community has produced for doing so has been a) constantly rewritten and b) in its agreed best forms was until recently tied to like, DX9 implementations that are themselves not that portable

libretro has a tendency to claim they’ve reinventing the wheel (as does a lot of modern emulation, granted, they aren’t as bad as the FPGA community in that regard) but ParaLLEl – Libretro is honestly the first portable, modern N64 emulator that passes muster in a lot of ways (which is not to neglect the historical contributions of Project64, sixtyforce, and so on), and it’s too new and incomplete for Nintendo to somehow use
tiny text

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:19 am

Capcom used an amazing open-source emulator for their weird logo fightpad thing and the contractual fallout from that was bad enough to completely halt all pull requests and force a fork. Probably best to... not do that.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:19 pm

mharr wrote:Are there deep copyright reasons that companies never use one of the amazing open source emulators that aleady exist, or is it mostly just Not Invented Here syndrome?

In Nintendo's case, I think it's specifically because they refuse to legitimize anyone else's emulation project but their own; their stance is that all emulation is piracy.

Speaking more generally, some of the reasons are technical, like Newbie said, and some are from licensing, like Mongrel and Brent said.

Some "open-source" emulators actually aren't; the emulator Capcom pirated* was published under a license that forbid commercial sale. I believe SNES9x still has a similar clause in its license.

Thing is, though, I wouldn't count those as "open source emulators" because any license with a noncommercial clause is, by definition, not open source. "Open source" doesn't just mean source code is published and available; it's a term of art with a specific set of criteria, and any license that forbids commercial sale does not meet those criteria. (Specifically, criterion 6, No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor.)

But even among actually-open-source emulators, some companies won't touch the GPL, because it means they'd have to license their modified software under the same license. (This is why consoles tend to run FreeBSD, not Linux. Except for MS consoles, which of course run Windows.)

There have been some cases where companies have used open-source emulators, though. The PlayStation Mini used PCSX ReARMed.

Can't find a source but I remember reading that at one point Sega bought an open-source emulator out and used it in some official product or other. I think that would still count as an example of a company using an open-source emulator, even if their derivative version was proprietary.

* Capcom actually got a waiver on the noncommercial clause from the project team, but not from every developer who owned a share of the copyright in the codebase. It's a bit more complicated than "pirated", but as I'm confident Capcom wouldn't say "hang on, it's a little more complicated than that" if they caught someone infringing their copyrights, I'm more than comfortable just stating that Capcom is a filthy, filthy pirate.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:24 pm

Remembered to actually cancel the Family Plan renewal this time. It will expire on "9/19/2022 19:42" according to Nintendo.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:16 am

I've got 2 or 3 open spots if people need them

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:58 am

does anyone have pokemon violet? the kid wants to trade some exclusives

(he doesn't have the paradox pokes yet)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:04 am

I have all the violet paradoxes (and I think all exclusives) ready for trade, and could pass the legendaries back and forth for completion if they need.

I'm home most of the day and can be pinged in #FF.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:50 pm

It's inevitable he will oblige his kid to play at least until he gets them to big heads, slappers only.

Well, that or all proximity mines.