It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

sei

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby sei » Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 am

Rico wrote:I dunno, I don't think that's quite as good as the fabric-matched bow-tie/pocket square over the popped point collar trying to make it look like a wing. One of my favorite things about posts in this thread is I get to resee that image, and every time it feeeeeeels like the first time.

i call it the super spread collar

because of what it does to radcliffe girl legs

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:47 pm

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:28 pm

So... I bought Shovel Knight. It's a good game!

But the save system is all kinds of fucked. I seemingly lost my first save because the game couldn't sync with Steam or something. But fine, whatever, I had only beaten one of the Knights of the Order of No Quarter, it wasn't that big of a deal. I started a new game.

Got all Shovel Abilities, Relics, Armors, I beat all the Knights, all that was left was to beat the Enchantress. Well, now the game is syncing with Steam, and now THAT Save is unavailable. Oh, but the one where I beat King Knight is usable again.
For the White Witch!

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:39 am

The beta for Mighty Number 9 is live on Steam now for people who got a code at PAX or backed the kickstarter at whatever level. It still feels ridiculously early as far as aesthetics and UI design goes, and the models themselves in game have personality but look kind of flat compared to the concept art.

Which is all irrelevant because goddamn the game already plays super fucking tightly. It's a great midpoint between original style Mega Man and X, and the Xel Dash system where your primary mechanic is to attack an enemy enough to destabilize them and then dash through them for the kill rewards you knowing just how much you have to hit an enemy to take them out as well as doing so as close to them as possible, which means you can ignore the scoring system and just play it like Mega Man or really sink your teeth into it to try to get combo chains throughout the level. It's a pretty damn solid foundation. It's also interesting how having a widescreen Mega Man feels like it changes the boss dynamic a little, and they play around with the wider space a bit with the included boss when halfway through the battle he gains the ability to explode half the room, forcing you into much tighter quarters. A lot of the game (from this one beta level) seems to be about taking the risk to fighting a lot more close-quarters than you're usually going to in a Mega Man game, and so far it feels like it works.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:05 am

Oh hey, Planetarian is on Steam. If you wanna be super-sad for a few days then this is definitely a good get.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Are any of the thirteens worth playing?

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:22 pm

2 and 3 are pretty fun. 2 is short enough and has a pretty good soundtrack, and 3 is a weird fusion of a modern final fantasy game and Majora's Mask.

Edit: The stories are all pretty dumb but not in a way that isn't hilarious.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Some Somethingawful goons made a Steam game.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:03 pm

So apparently at some point Steam took out the ability to disable updates, basically making modding impossible.

Starting to regret my decision to focus on buying steam enabled games only.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Modding is still possible.

So long as you're pretty sure the game will never get another update (i.e. my modded to shit-and-back KOTOR 2).

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:09 am

Ars reviews the Steam boxes; the controller stuff is on page 4.

No real surprises; you can tell what the controller is good for and what it's not good for just by looking at it. Ars says it's excellent for FPS's (the next best thing to keyboard and mouse), decent for point-and-click games that don't require precision timing, but not so great for point-and-click games that do, like Torchlight. Its lack of a D-pad means it's exactly as poor a fit for D-pad games as you would expect, and apparently it's absolutely terrible for games designed to use a dual-stick control scheme.

A second article where they chat with the hardware team suggests that revisions and alternate models may be coming.

[...] another Valve design-team veteran, Robin Walker, informed us that the company's "always in beta, always in development" ethos was indeed extending to the Steam Controller, if not other products like the Steam Link.

"The likelihood that any one particular controller design is right for all of our users is extremely unlikely," Walker said during our meeting. "Our goal was to get to a point where hardware could be as flexible as software. We’ve learned over the years, when we build software and it’s in hands of customers, they help us improve it. Customers using a product always improve a product."

What does that mean exactly for customers? Is the first wave of Steam Controllers going to become eclipsed by a nicer model within months? Neither Valve rep we spoke to was clear on that point. Johnson repeatedly referred to "a specific approach to how we're manufacturing the hardware," which includes "a really flexible automated assembly line" for the sake of pushing newer designs to customers on the fly.

I'm pretty happy with my PS4 controller. But there are definitely cases where I could see having a Steam Controller around as an alternate. Like the other day when I fired up Shadowrun Returns in my living room and found that it doesn't have gamepad support.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:04 pm

I have a Steam Controller, not that I've used it a ton. Experiences:

General use: You can start up the controller and use it as a mouse - right trigger is left click, left trigger is right click, right touchpad is mouse with configuration/haptic feedback that makes it feel like a trackball (down to legit feeling like there's a trackball spinning when you swipe)

Beat Hazard: I had to mess with the configuration until I figured out how to set the right touchpad to Joystick mode rather than Right-Stick Camera mode, but that wasn't a huge deal (and once people are using Steam Controllers there'll be more "this config works well for this game" things available.)

Rocket League: I still suck at Rocket League, but the Steam Controller (plus config I found online) worked well via tweaked right pad, right trigger is dual-stage "accelerate, plus boost on full pull" which was nice, then I customized it so the back-right grip button was my "mouse button forward" push to talk binding. Only downside was ingame prompts kept switching between XInput and Mouse/Keyboard because it kept registering the mouse clicks as time to change display.

Also, the cool part which is how they guarantee compatibility: The Steam Controller registers as a mouse, a keyboard, and an xinput device. When you set a config, it actually flashes the firmware to match that configuration and then the button presses/whatever actually register as the corresponding input. Someone's actually plugged a Steam Controller into a Dreamcast and used it successfully as a mouse/keyboard.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Ars: SteamOS gaming performs significantly worse than Windows, Ars analysis shows

Not exactly news to any Linux gamers in the audience. I believe I've mentioned my recent experiences running the Linux-native versions of Dolphin and PCSX2 -- both of which ended in my rebooting and using the Windows versions instead.

OpenGL's inferiority to DirectX is not a new phenomenon. There's already been plenty of discussion of the reasons SteamOS has an uphill battle on its hands; this is another to add to the list. If Valve wants to be competitive, it should put some major investment in OpenGL development.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:11 pm

I haven't had time (or the extra hardware really) to try SteamOS, but this makes me sad. All my video cards are ATI anyway; talk about your all-time Linux driver nightmares.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:57 pm

Well, I wouldn't expect stock SteamBox hardware to have any driver issues, at least, but yeah, that's the reason I don't buy ATI.

Of course, it's been years since I had an ATI card and maybe things have changed. But that's not a risk I want to take on a $300 piece of hardware.

LazyDev

Postby LazyDev » Tue May 10, 2016 7:43 pm

I've re-hooked up my Steam Link, which I got hardwired - along with my PC, and it's gotten a lot better. I have high hopes for it in the future.

I've been wondering if I could run something like joy2key on my PC and have the Steam Link's streaming controller input be caught by it so I could play more games on it. Haven't tried it yet though.

Game wise I've been playing Rivals of Aether. It's a fantastic Smash clone, even if it is kinda furry.

Also, if you like MegaMan at all (and I know a lot of you do) I can't recommend Gunvolt enough. Fantastic game on all accounts. I beat it on 3DS, and own it on Steam, though I haven't played too much on there.

Edit: my off-brand PS3 controllers don't work with my Steam Link. Now I'll need to buy more Xbox controllers.

Edit 2: The Xbox One version of the Rock Candy controllers don't work on Steam Link, but will still work if you plug it into your PC (I.E. if you have 2 controls in steam link then the PC one will be player 3)
http://cyanamazing.tumblr.com/ <-- check out my awesome games here!

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Steam Sale ongoing, now with award nominations.

My current nominations:

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:02 pm

:(