It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

User avatar
Disposable Ninja
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Disposable Ninja » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:29 pm

So I was bored and I decided to skim the Steam Community Market Place, and I noticed a trend when it came to Profile Background Images: they tend to price at less than 10 cents or so UNLESS they involve pictures of girls. Then they go upwards 5 dollars. Really upwards.

For example, Agarest: Generations of War has a Background that's actually worth more than the game itself. If Dead or Alive ever went on Steam, people could become millionaires.
For the White Witch!

User avatar
Lyrai
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Lyrai » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:14 am

Smiler wrote:Valve Anti Cheat (VAC) now sends info on all of the domains you have visited to the main server

Edit: A lot of people seem convinced that the OP is wrong. Apparently it doesn't actually send any data?


http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... and_trust/

Gabe posted to Reddit explaining what's going on

tl;dr: hacks now have their own DRM, the VAC is scanning for those.

User avatar
Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Brentai » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:35 am

Not that Valve's assurances should mean you don't have to be concerned though. Like most privacy issues on the internet it's a personal question of how comfortable you are with that information being transmitted, with the knowledge that it's not always the endpoint that's the problem. If you think you can browse this planet's network with perfect anonymity and still have a basic level of functionality though, I'd like to see what fantasy internet you've managed to hop onto.

As far as false positive concerns go, it sounds like the actual implementation of this check is designed to reduce the number of false positives. VAC doesn't look at your history unless it already thinks you bought something contraband, then it goes to see if you actually did buy it. Which is creepy to say it like that, but it'd be even creepier to say "It shuts you down the moment it thinks you bought something contraband."

(Technically I think it's actually reducing the number of missed positives, i.e. ones that couldn't be well enough confirmed before to act on, but the effect on concerns is the same. Basically it's the cheat police acting on a warrant.)

User avatar
MrSatan
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 pm
Location: The asshole of the United States

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby MrSatan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:04 am

My ticket to Valve:

I want all my money refunded for all items items purchased in DOTA 2. You can take the items back. The game is horribly frustrating(And broken and unbalanced), your matchmaking system is retarded, and I pretty much hate you now, Valve. If my money isn't refunded I'm going to make my personal mission in life to promote Heroes of the Storm and LoL, and tell every person I know that DOTA 2 is the worst game ever made. Also if you do not fulfill my requests, I will personaly find Gabe and kick him in the balls. Thank you for your time, a very unsatisfied customer.
P.S. - Quit stealing from Blizzard you unoriginal assholes.
P.P.S. - Also if my requests are unfilled I will spend an hour a day praying to multiple Gods that you all get cancer. Thanks!
I Am The Greatest, aha, YAAaha!

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 5511
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Thad » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:25 am

...

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8569
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Mongrel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:26 am

Brentai wrote:Not that Valve's assurances should mean you don't have to be concerned though. Like most privacy issues on the internet it's a personal question of how comfortable you are with that information being transmitted, with the knowledge that it's not always the endpoint that's the problem. If you think you can browse this planet's network with perfect anonymity and still have a basic level of functionality though, I'd like to see what fantasy internet you've managed to hop onto.

As far as false positive concerns go, it sounds like the actual implementation of this check is designed to reduce the number of false positives. VAC doesn't look at your history unless it already thinks you bought something contraband, then it goes to see if you actually did buy it. Which is creepy to say it like that, but it'd be even creepier to say "It shuts you down the moment it thinks you bought something contraband."

(Technically I think it's actually reducing the number of missed positives, i.e. ones that couldn't be well enough confirmed before to act on, but the effect on concerns is the same. Basically it's the cheat police acting on a warrant.)


The best thing about Gabe's reply is when he said it's not for him to say Valve is trustworthy, it's the users who have to decide that.

Actions aside, it is really nice to see someone who at least knows the exact right thing to say.
Image

User avatar
Defenestration
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Defenestration » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:38 pm

MrSatan wrote:My ticket to Valve:

I want all my money refunded for all items items purchased in DOTA 2. You can take the items back. The game is horribly frustrating(And broken and unbalanced), your matchmaking system is retarded, and I pretty much hate you now, Valve. If my money isn't refunded I'm going to make my personal mission in life to promote Heroes of the Storm and LoL, and tell every person I know that DOTA 2 is the worst game ever made. Also if you do not fulfill my requests, I will personaly find Gabe and kick him in the balls. Thank you for your time, a very unsatisfied customer.
P.S. - Quit stealing from Blizzard you unoriginal assholes.
P.P.S. - Also if my requests are unfilled I will spend an hour a day praying to multiple Gods that you all get cancer. Thanks!

What are you talking about? There's nothing wrong with DotA's balance compared to other games of this type, it gets regular tweaks, and certainly not more than other actually unbalanced games like Awesomenauts. DotA has taken large strides recently to differentiate themselves from Blizzard's content up to changing a very legally distinct Skeleton King to Wraith King. Is "stealing from Blizzard" making Dota 2 based upon Dota 1 which was never owned or developed by Blizzard? I don't know where you're coming from unless it's that. Gaben has next to nothing to do with Dota2's development other than playtesting.

Aside from all of the above, how in the WORLD could one game made by only part of the company invalidate every product they've made? I get that not everyone will appreciate DotA, and frankly you should take regular breaks from it after strings of bad games. It's frustrating that there is no concede option and you have to play through games that you know you will be losing since your team doesn't have the coordination or cooperation for a big comeback play, I'll grant you that. But is a string of losses worth this kind of irrational rage?
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

User avatar
Z%rø
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: %$&5!!*)&^ERR

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Z%rø » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Pre-emptive request to split MrSatan's, Defen's, and my posts into a dota 2 thread. I have things to say on this subject that I can't write on a phone keyboard.
Image

User avatar
Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 727
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Joxam » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Just FYI defen and Ziiro I think you guys are perhaps letting dudebear from #finalfight troll you a bit.
Image

User avatar
Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Smiler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:16 pm

No way, there wasn't any trolling intended when he posted that.

User avatar
Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 727
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Joxam » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Eh, I'm kinda of the opinion that you can be a completely sincere troll, I'm more just explaining to them that it might not be a great idea to engage than explaining that he wasn't sincere.
Image

User avatar
Lyrai
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Lyrai » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Uh, based on what Dudebear said to me, it's not a troll.

User avatar
Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Bongo Bill » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:07 pm

He really is that mad.
...but is it art?

User avatar
Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 727
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Joxam » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:34 pm

I guess maybe we have a different idea of what being a 'troll' is. Like I said even if he's honest I don't see how that means he's not clearly being a troll. All I was doing was warning Ziiro and defen to not engage.
Image

User avatar
zaratustra
Posts: 1111
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby zaratustra » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:42 pm

MrSatan wrote:My ticket to Valve:

I want all my money refunded for all items items purchased in DOTA 2. You can take the items back. The game is horribly frustrating(And broken and unbalanced), your matchmaking system is retarded, and I pretty much hate you now, Valve. If my money isn't refunded I'm going to make my personal mission in life to promote Heroes of the Storm and LoL, and tell every person I know that DOTA 2 is the worst game ever made. Also if you do not fulfill my requests, I will personaly find Gabe and kick him in the balls. Thank you for your time, a very unsatisfied customer.
P.S. - Quit stealing from Blizzard you unoriginal assholes.
P.P.S. - Also if my requests are unfilled I will spend an hour a day praying to multiple Gods that you all get cancer. Thanks!


Ladies and gentlemen, a small piece of why game developers hate game players.

User avatar
Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 727
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Joxam » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:50 pm

I suppose if I actually had to argue with dudebear about this I'd say that I hate this on the same level that I hate when someone, after sitting through an entire film, asks for a refund because they didn't like the movie. It's not valve's job to review a game for you, and it's especially not their job to stop you spending money on a free game.
Image

User avatar
zaratustra
Posts: 1111
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby zaratustra » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:56 am

Mostly it's the aggressive and threatening tone that makes devs think they're dealing less with dissatisfied customers and more with addicts extremely annoyed that they're not getting as high as they used to.

User avatar
Defenestration
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Defenestration » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Joxam wrote:I guess maybe we have a different idea of what being a 'troll' is. Like I said even if he's honest I don't see how that means he's not clearly being a troll. All I was doing was warning Ziiro and defen to not engage.


If you're being honest, you can't be a troll. Trolling is specifically the purposeful intent of getting a response from disrupting normal discourse by sowing arguments, frustration, etc. If he isn't seeking a response and is just venting, he's not a troll.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

User avatar
Classic
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:53 am

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Classic » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:52 pm

But can you troll without being a troll?
I'm gonna say we have compelling evidence.

User avatar
Disposable Ninja
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Disposable Ninja » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:25 pm

He has to be a troll. He made a single post two days ago and we're still talking about it.

The only alternative would be that we're all assholes.

And that can't be right.
For the White Witch!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests