Nioh, Samurai and Shit

malikial

Nioh, Samurai and Shit

Postby malikial » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:26 am

Nioh is fun as fuck, but I'm not gonna write it off as a Dark Souls clone. It's a challenging 3rd person action game but it is more about improving your abilities with a single or maybe 2 sets of weapons than it is about having a huge amount of choice like you do in Dark Souls games. INstead of having 100+ weapons/spells to choose from you have a few(In the single digits) but they all have deep weapon move/combo trees. The combat is slow, plodding with perfect blocks and parries like Dark Souls but the weapon unlock's tree is more akin to Devil May Cry. It's rewarding as fuck to play too, makes you feel good to chop up that asshole that's been bashing you in for 3-4 runs. Nioh this week, For Honor next week. Fuck Mali's in crazy heaven!

Wheels

Re: Nioh, Samurai and Shit

Postby Wheels » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:59 am

I take professional interest in any game that Polygon is too bad to review.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Bal

Postby Bal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Been playing the last few days. Definitely the first souls-like to really succeed at capturing the mechanical essence of Souls while still doing something distinctly it's own thing in many other areas. Hard as fucking nails too.

malikial

Postby malikial » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:43 am

The first hourish was hard but after that first mission and the levels I got in it I've been able to complete the next 8 hours without dying more than 2 or 3 times. Has a lot of quality of life things Dark Souls never did. Like in DS 80+% of my deaths are to falling off cliffs dodging and in this game your character does a hilarious cartoon arm flail and balance act at the edge of cliffs when you would have fallen that gives you a half second to catch yourself. So, Mali death count drops to nearly nothing. That doesn't mean you can sleep through the game. It's not easy but it is very fair if you watch what you're doing.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:12 am

I was thinking about picking this up but they apparently printed like 20 copies of the game and there are literally no physical copies left.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:45 am

Smiler wrote:I was thinking about picking this up but they apparently printed like 20 copies of the game and there are literally no physical copies left.

It's 2017, dude.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Yeah cool its also 2017, the year where I still don't want to drop 60 bucks on a game that I can't return if I don't like it, and also the year where I can get 20% off at best buy and currently have a code for 5 bucks off on a purchase.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:52 pm

2017 is also the year where Sony's servers still blow ass and even with my garbage internet can't max my bandwidth while downloading from them.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:50 pm

malikial wrote:The first hourish was hard but after that first mission and the levels I got in it I've been able to complete the next 8 hours without dying more than 2 or 3 times. Has a lot of quality of life things Dark Souls never did. Like in DS 80+% of my deaths are to falling off cliffs dodging and in this game your character does a hilarious cartoon arm flail and balance act at the edge of cliffs when you would have fallen that gives you a half second to catch yourself. So, Mali death count drops to nearly nothing. That doesn't mean you can sleep through the game. It's not easy but it is very fair if you watch what you're doing.

I don't know how far you are, but I find that certain enemies and a couple of bosses are, at least at first, extremely challenging in a way the game has yet to teach you how to deal with. The game does get easier as you go on, but the game was still designed by Team Ninja, and they don't seem to have any more fucks about our feelings now than when they were making the 3D Ninja Gaidens.

malikial

Postby malikial » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:03 pm

I mean I'm on the sixth main mission after coming home from work last night, but yeah, all my deaths have been probing bosses and then getting bumped off for my trouble, but that's to be expected.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Beat Nioh, as far as story completion goes, but the game has legs to take you basically as far as you want. NG+ takes a kind of non-standard form that makes it much more relayable, combined with the loot system, and an entirely new mechanic that unlocks, if you just want to tool around becoming a fucking god like it's end game Diablo, that's 100% possible.