Horizon Zero Dawn

sei

Horizon Zero Dawn

Postby sei » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:25 pm

I love hiding in grass and putting arrows in the eyes of stalking mechanical horrors.

Anyone else?

I'm not at the terrible, preachy part of the game yet. Just enjoying myself while running around and doing silly quests for generic people I don't care about.

beatbandito

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn

Postby beatbandito » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Yeah I've been enjoying Breath of the Wild too, but weird thread title.

Maximillian

Postby Maximillian » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:23 am

Finished this game recently. So as a redheaded girl, voiced by the same that did Tiny Tina, armed with a fancy spear and a bow, you fight robot dinosaurs and critters.

There's some big bastards in the later parts of the game. Like the Thunderjaw.

The Thunderjaw is the unholy hybrid of a double decker bus and a T-Rex. It's got heavy blasters on it's head, a somewhat potent spread laser, and these disc launchers on the hips that'll create a cloud of little drones that will then crash into the area near you and explode violently. This is on top of it chasing you, biting at you, stomping you, using the tail to bat you across the desert or jungle like a baseball. If you try to hide, it's got a radar system it'll use to ping and find your location. The only good news is they have somewhat fixed zones and won't chase you beyond a certain point. It has weak points, but they're tricky to get to, and it'll feel like you're trying to fire a crowbar through a compound bow.

The first time you fight one it will feel like hell. It's quite a rush.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:19 pm

I am fucking dying to play this game

To the point I am actually considering a PS4

sei

Postby sei » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:29 pm

It's very enjoyable.

Though the ropecaster trivializes... almost all robots, provided you have the wire to keep it running. Ropecaster bindings loosen on damage. Sticky bombs do a fuckton of damage, but only after a delay. You can see where this is going.

Anyone know if there's a way to purchase multiples of something from vendors? Having to buy 1 wire at a time via long press isn't great.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:39 am

I've beaten the game about two weeks ago. It's fucking great. PS4 is having a stellar year.

Maximillian

Postby Maximillian » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:37 pm

One of the latest patches changes the behavior to 'hold to keep buying'.

sei wrote:It's very enjoyable.

Though the ropecaster trivializes... almost all robots, provided you have the wire to keep it running. Ropecaster bindings loosen on damage. Sticky bombs do a fuckton of damage, but only after a delay. You can see where this is going.

Anyone know if there's a way to purchase multiples of something from vendors? Having to buy 1 wire at a time via long press isn't great.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:57 am

Man I know tutorials are inevitably going to involve some suspension of disbelief but "thanks to the ancient high-tech artifact you have found, you now have the unique ability to look at a thing that is slowly walking in a circle and determine that it is walking in a circle" is something else

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 10, 2022 9:39 pm

Thad wrote:Man I know tutorials are inevitably going to involve some suspension of disbelief but "thanks to the ancient high-tech artifact you have found, you now have the unique ability to look at a thing that is slowly walking in a circle and determine that it is walking in a circle" is something else

This kinda sets the tone for the whole game, don't it? Like, Aloy's superpower isn't so much that she has super-powerful, technologically augmented observation skills so much as that she has...observation skills. In a world where everybody else is like

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed May 11, 2022 7:42 pm

What set the tone for the whole game for me is the guy right outside the village whose story is he was so lazy that he killed a guy.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 12, 2022 1:10 pm

I was thinking specifically of the murder investigation where nobody who examined the scene without a sci-fi doohickey was capable of noticing that it was obviously staged and had bloody wheel tracks leading away from it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 13, 2022 7:26 pm

i feel that the geography of this game raises certain questions

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri May 13, 2022 7:36 pm

Brentai wrote:What set the tone for the whole game for me is the guy right outside the village whose story is he was so lazy that he killed a guy.

for me it was when they name the main character a misspelling of a real word that no one in the game seems to know

Thad wrote:i feel that the geography of this game raises certain questions

robots did it

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat May 21, 2022 3:25 pm

okay so you're gonna have a guy who repeats the same three fucking lines of dialogue over and over again for an entire lengthy fight

and then the same fucking guy, you can visit him in jail, and he has like twenty different lines of completely optional, totally inconsequential dialogue

writers, you're fucking trolling me, right? I'm being trolled right now.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 26, 2022 11:08 pm

Game, if you're going to have checkpoints where I respawn with full health if I die, then just fucking restore me to full health when I get to them.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 31, 2022 12:28 pm

Experienced hunter: "Where did the machine go?"

Aloy: "Hold on, I can track it." (scans) "It went this way, through these trees that it knocked over."

Every fucking time.

sei

Postby sei » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:19 pm

They put Aloy in Genshin Impact, because of a cross-promotion.

A gritty bitch like Aloy rendered as a fluffy, teen, ginger Pocahantas cosplay feels wrong, and her character is sorely out of place among the GI cast.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:15 pm

...so the animals are just straight-up unfinished, right? Like, there was going to be a variety of them, and they were going to be distributed in geographically-appropriate locations, but they didn't quite finish so there are just, like, eight kinds, and six of them appear everywhere and the other two are only found in completely inappropriate environments? "Where do geese? On a plateau in the middle of the desert I guess?"

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:18 pm

god damn it sei you found another one for your av
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:26 am

Maximillian wrote:There's some big bastards in the later parts of the game. Like the Thunderjaw.

The Thunderjaw is the unholy hybrid of a double decker bus and a T-Rex. It's got heavy blasters on it's head, a somewhat potent spread laser, and these disc launchers on the hips that'll create a cloud of little drones that will then crash into the area near you and explode violently. This is on top of it chasing you, biting at you, stomping you, using the tail to bat you across the desert or jungle like a baseball. If you try to hide, it's got a radar system it'll use to ping and find your location. The only good news is they have somewhat fixed zones and won't chase you beyond a certain point. It has weak points, but they're tricky to get to, and it'll feel like you're trying to fire a crowbar through a compound bow.

The first time you fight one it will feel like hell. It's quite a rush.

My favorite thing about Thunderjaws is that every fight is different. I've set tripwires and lured them in circles around spires, found a vantage point where they can't hit me but I can very slowly whittle them down with arrows, covered them with sticky bombs and run away. By the time you encounter one in the Frozen Wilds, you're an unstoppable killing machine and can just take it head-fucking-on.