Play Nier: Automata already

Re: Play Nier: Automata already

Postby Newbie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:24 am

Newbie wrote:

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm sad that this video exists: the big point he leads with is that the game is great in part because it does such a good job of setting your initial expectations, but none of that actually fucking works if you go into this thinking you're about to witness the second coming of Christ, but he's a video game this time!
tiny text

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:59 pm

François

Postby François » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 pm

how can one picture be so perfect and accurate, while still being so very likely to convey a completely wrong impression to someone who doesn't know what it's about

Postby Newbie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:41 am

Gotta respect that thematic commitment.

In other news, finally got ending C. Gonna stop there for a bit, I think. Wanna wait for the DLC before I go too much further.
tiny text

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Newbie: If you have ending C you're already at ending D/E. Just go do the other final option.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:22 pm

François wrote:

how can one picture be so perfect and accurate, while still being so very likely to convey a completely wrong impression to someone who doesn't know what it's about

François

Postby François » Tue May 09, 2017 2:40 am

Joxam wrote:Pascel's Town theme is amazing.

warning

peak adorable reached

no, i don't know what any of that stuff is for, it was already here when i arrived. do you want to buy some?

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:26 pm

So I finally played this!

It's as good as everyone says, and hearing and reading about a few of the things that I missed even after 90%+ sidequest completion is just sustaining that sweet, sweet depressive low for even longer.

jesus christ i wiped pascal's memory but i didn't go back to the village after to find out pascal will now sell you THE PARTS OF THE DEAD CHILDREN

Postby Newbie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:44 am

I should go back and finish. I was planning to wait to get Ending E until the DLC came out, but now that it's available I can't afford it...
tiny text

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:22 pm

It sounds like the DLC is pretty strictly just bonus combat arenas / goofy bosses and cosmetic items; I considered it, but man, $13 is kind of a lot for that.

Spram

Postby Spram » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 am

Hay guys.

I just played this now. Finished the game for the first time: The one when a bunch of Machines just come from the sky and I kill Eve and 2B sex-chokes 9S and cries for 3 minutes straight then 9s is the machines. Now I start again and I'm playing 9S in the first mission and hacking stuff.

Has the game gotten godly yet? I mean, it's good enough, but it hasn't blown my mind yet... even thought that first mission and the thing that comes out of the sunken city was fun. Is the best yet to come?

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 am

The best is yet to come, and so is the worst.

I actually really like the playthrough you're on now, but most people find it to be low point of the game. It's going to depend on your enjoyment of the combat scenarios you're going through, and how willing you are to do them over .. and over .. and over again until the next part.

François

Postby François » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 am

Without going into too much detail, the second playthrough has a few added bits here and there, especially towards the end where 9S and 2B's paths diverge, but the third playthrough really switches things up, and probably not in the way you might expect at this time.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:37 pm

If you find the One Really Broken Move on the second playthrough it's a lot more tolerable (since you barely have to worry about combat), but there's not a lot of new plot to be had... it's more something you have to go through for the third playthrough to have proper context.

Postby Newbie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:48 pm

I liked the "special move" in the second playthrough so much that I pretty much used it exclusively in 90% of all fights. Eventually I watched a steamer blind run of the game (Joseph Anderson's, if anybody cares) and it caused me physical discomfort because of how infrequently he used it. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.
tiny text

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Wait what's the special move? Maybe it's been a while but I don't remember at all.

Postby Newbie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:50 am

It"s just hacking, isn't it? That's what I assumed Brentai was referring to. I didn't really consider it a "special move" until I saw somebody go for several hours on Route B without using it.
tiny text

François

Postby François » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:00 am

There's that, but the javelin throw 9S does by holding down his attack button on the spear moveset is also ridiculously effective and low-effort.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:29 am

Yep, I was talking about Francois's move.

Spram

Postby Spram » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Finished game. Spoiler!

I mostly liked the B playthrough because I managed to finish some mini-quests I didn't get to do on the A route.

Why yes, I want to **** 2B. Why do you ask?

2B totally died for reals.

I still don't understand why machines started to look for reasons to live. My toaster won't try to find a reason to live if left unused.

I also don't have a reason to live, but I don't look for one. Too much trouble. Everything that might give meaning to life depends on other people one way or another. Either I take soemthing from them or they willingly give me something. "No man is an island". There are a lot of people who claim that only you can give your life meaning or that only you are in charge of your own happiness and I am not bought on the idea. People who say that already have someone that gives their life meaning or are capable of finding meaning in some other way.. or more possible: They don't want to admit that there is a chance that their way of seeing the world is wrong and there is a very high chance that all their positivity and can-do attitude is bullshit... they are just the lucky majority whose neurotypical-ness are compatible with society. Me? Not so much. This has nothing to do with the game and more with assholes who like to blame unhappy people for their own unhappiness. I bet a lot of you are like that.

Sorry I went off-rails. In the end I didn't erase my data because there are uncompleted side quests.