Play Nier: Automata already

Play Nier: Automata already

Postby Newbie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:36 am

As is so pithily summarized by this article's title, Nier Automata is hands-down my favourite game of the last year, and we can’t talk about it at all. I thought it looked like derivative anime garbage, but this game is nothing but ruses upon ruses. Play this.

It is astonishing how little this trailer will actually tell you about what this game is like.
tiny text

zaratustra

Re: Play Nier: Automata already

Postby zaratustra » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Wish I could! But I don't think I got any device that can.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:04 pm

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Nier is on my list to play immediately after finishing Persona 5; incidentally, the time I finally do that should be close to my birthday so I can try to get my filthy hands on it giftwise.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:33 am

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:27 am

What percentage of the greatness would be lost if you came into this without playing original Nier?

Postby Newbie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:36 am

I have never played the original.
tiny text

François

Postby François » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:52 am

Automata definitely has a few scenes and plot elements that have extra oomph to their emotional impact if you're familiar with the original NieR and/or the Drakengard series (holy shit that moment when the Song of the Ancients starts playing), but I'm pretty confident that none of it leaves you out in the cold if you're not. It's sort of like... Think of it as a well-written children's movie with jokes that both kids and adults will find funny for different reasons; the experience is subtly different but everyone has a good time. (The comparison to family-oriented cinema probably ends there though, yikes.)

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:14 pm

beatbandito wrote:What percentage of the greatness would be lost if you came into this without playing original Nier?

From what I hear precisely fuck-all. Hell, apparently these are somehow a spinoff/sequel to Drakengard? I don't even fuckin know.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Newbie wrote:I have never played the original.

Nor have I. I could tell that there were some references to something I was missing, but it was almost all in the form of flavor text notes you could find in the world, "Gestalt Project Archives" and whatnot. No effect on my enjoyment or understanding of the main plot.

And I suspect also the entire character of Emil, but that's fine, he's great without any prior knowledge, except for the part where his music has been stuck in my head for a week now. Or possibly great BECAUSE of that. It's hard to say.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Pretty sure the Original Game references get a lot heavier in the final dungeon, but the game spells things out pretty clearly for you so you're never more lost than you'd normally be. Up to that point though the backstory limits it to "Nier happened but then a lot of much more interesting and relevant stuff happened after that."

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:13 pm

Sharkey wrote:
beatbandito wrote:What percentage of the greatness would be lost if you came into this without playing original Nier?

From what I hear precisely fuck-all. Hell, apparently these are somehow a spinoff/sequel to Drakengard? I don't even fuckin know.

As I have seen it explained, Nier was a spinoff sequel to the secret Ending E of Drakengard where the main hero and main villain get warped to our reality and obliterated by F-15s. Nier: Automata is a spinoff sequel to the secret Ending E of Nier which is on a Drama CD, not even in the game, where aliens invade the earth and humanity flees to the moon.

There might be references but I don't think there's any continuity to worry about.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:09 pm

‎Yoko Taro is a big weirdo (in a good way) and part of his weirdness is making his games sequels of weirdo hidden quasi-joke endings, but then it's not even really a sequel because so much time has passed as to make it basically irrelevant.

So basically think Silent Hill UFO ending meets Dark Souls.
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:22 pm

I'm going to give you an innocuous example of the sort of thing you're missing. There's a merchant who mentions something about how he doesn't own his shop, he just runs it for this lady named Accord who supplies him with these incredibly ancient weapons that are nonetheless in pretty great shape.

If you've played (or seen played) Drakengard 3, you know that Accord is a cheerful dimension/timeline-hopping android gal. This explains how all these weapons from past games ended up for sale during 2B's activities on Earth, and it's pretty neat to think about considering who she is and what she does. If you haven't, it doesn't really matter and you have lost no insight or understanding of the events that are actually relevant to you. To put it another way, you're losing out on retroactively-interesting extra context for a game you haven't played. So, yeah, not a problem.

Postby Newbie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:24 pm

except for the part where his music has been stuck in my head for a week now. Or possibly great BECAUSE of that. It's hard to say.

Just wanted to underscore this point: the music in this game (or these games , rather) would be worth the price of admission alone. Some of it can be a little overblown, but it's never boring, and when it's great, it's fucking PHENOMENAL.
tiny text

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Pascel's Town theme is amazing.

Postby Newbie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:56 pm

If you intend to play this game: do not watch this video. Although it's tagged as only containing minor visual spoilers, I still feel that premature exposure to the content contained herein would have diminished the enjoyment I got from my initial playthrough. However, if you have NO intention to play this game, please consider the arguments this reviewer makes in its favor:

tiny text

François

Postby François » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Newbie wrote:Just wanted to underscore this point: the music in this game (or these games , rather) would be worth the price of admission alone. Some of it can be a little overblown, but it's never boring, and when it's great, it's fucking PHENOMENAL.

just going to leave this here

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Newbie wrote:
except for the part where his music has been stuck in my head for a week now. Or possibly great BECAUSE of that. It's hard to say.

Just wanted to underscore this point: the music in this game (or these games , rather) would be worth the price of admission alone. Some of it can be a little overblown, but it's never boring, and when it's great, it's fucking PHENOMENAL.

Right, but I really ought to have something like the Park Ruins theme stuck in my head, which is easily my favorite area track in the game. But no! Every day's a saaaaaaaale, every sale's a wiiiiiiiiiin! Every day is great when... you're... meeeeeeeeeee!

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Oh god I never thought about the fact that there's an english version of Emil's shop theme.