General Old Game Hardware Thread

mharr

Re: General Old Game Hardware Thread

Postby mharr » Sun May 12, 2019 6:52 am

This looks like a bottomless rabbit hole, but as a general question: If I just want a convenient pocket device to play old Enix games is GBA + sd cart + battery upgrade the best overall option, or should normals stick with Android phone + controller?

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun May 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Depending on how much breadth you want, DS Lite + Flash Cart is a pretty solid option. It'll give you 8/16-bit emulators, GBA, and DS in a clamshell form factor. SNES emulation was pretty rough back when I messed around with it when the DS Lite was contemporary, but I think they continued upgrading flash carts to take better advantage of the hardware after I dropped off from it. But there's plenty of Enix stuff that's DS native (DQ remakes, Rocket Slime!) that are probably best on that system such that I'd recommend that hardware over a phone/Vita for the same set-up.

also thad, don't forget to budget .. jesus christ like $200 these days for a hori gamecube digital pad??? actually maybe just get an snes to gamecube controller cable or something for gba player

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun May 12, 2019 2:11 pm

A lot of folks still swear by the PSP as the best portable emulation device; it's certainly hard to beat for the price. The screen is great, the buttons are good, it plays PS1 games natively (sort of; there are a few conversion steps along the way, and the lack of R2/L2/right stick is going to be a problem for some games), and there are emulators that run pretty much anything prior to that pretty well. And of course it's got its own library, and it's great.

The Vita has finally been cracked, too, and AFAIK it'll do everything the PSP does and more (and its native library is also wonderful, and includes current-generation games like DQ Builders). But obviously you'll be paying more for a Vita than a PSP.

It partly depends on what you want to play, of course. If GBA/DS is what you're going for, then a DS Lite is probably the way to go (DS flash carts are cheap; GBA ones are less so). If you want to get into 3DS-era stuff, that's an option too; you can get a 2DS for cheap, crack it, and load up emulators through it. Note that GBA games won't run as well on the 3DS family as on the DS/DS Lite; it's the difference between emulation and native support. (And the advantage of the 3DS family over the original DS, aside from the obvious spec bump, is that its screens are 240px high, so you can play old 240p console games at their native resolution, as opposed to the original DS, whose 192px screens mean the picture is squished.)

I expect the New 3DS/2DS probably gives you much better performance on emulators, but I haven't looked into it; I've still got an original-type 2DS.

I know the original-model Switch has been cracked, too, but I don't know what-all homebrew is available on it or what, if any, emulators are available for it.

If you want a machine that's really versatile and aren't worried about a hefty price tag, the GPD Win 2 is an Intel/Windows computer in a handheld form factor. I've seen a lot of praise for it, and judging by /r/gpdwin, it can actually handle Wii U emulation pretty well -- plus PC games (one guy even got Witcher 3 running at playable speed, though that's with an aftermarket heatsink). It looks to me like it would be damned uncomfortable to hold, but I've never seen anyone complain about that.

As you can see from the thread, I'm on an original hardware/flash cart kick. But that's expensive and inconvenient and isn't for everybody. There are a lot of different routes you can go that are a lot cheaper, not as accurate but still perfectly acceptable. I'd say the PSP's probably your best bang for your buck, but if you've got a particular interest in the DS/3DS library, look into one of those.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Niku wrote:also thad, don't forget to budget .. jesus christ like $200 these days for a hori gamecube digital pad??? actually maybe just get an snes to gamecube controller cable or something for gba player

Just saw this. Thanks for the heads-up but yeah $200 for a controller is too rich for my blood (frankly $60 is pushing it).

I don't recall ever having a problem just using a Wavebird for GBA games. Not even Mega Man Zero, despite my oft-repeated problems playing Mega Man X games on a controller with a right stick. (Can't remember if I left dash on the shoulder or remapped it to X.)

The cost of all these flash carts *has* added up, but I only buy one or two a year, and it's always with bonus money. This wound up being a little more than I usually spend since I bought a GBA SP and a Super Game Boy 2 on top of the EverDrive, but that's after I paid taxes, six months' car insurance, and still put a decent amount toward savings and retirement.

I'm making pretty good money now, but, appearances to the contrary, I still budget like a guy who's had his income source abruptly yanked out from under him a half-dozen times.

I appreciate the sanity check, though. If I were spending money like this three years ago, that would have been cause for an intervention.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 pm

I've really been enviously sitting outside the window on the Analogue consoles and the Everdrives, but every time I start to lean in that direction I tell myself I really ought to just get a Pi. Jeff Gerstmann digging into MiSTer and FPGAs and Parish getting his beautiful framemeister captures and this thread are all really bad for my self control about cobbling together a retro gaming set-up, but I've managed to hold off for now.

But digging out my old GBA flash cart and GB player is sounding better by the day. (And if somehow they ever do a re-issue or you can find one of those Hori pads for a much more reasonable price, they actually are super nice.)

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Sat May 18, 2019 2:16 pm

The newest bittboy is $40 and can play a lot of emulators. Everything I've seen says it's very good, especially for the price.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 pm

Niku wrote:I've really been enviously sitting outside the window on the Analogue consoles

Yeah, I got an AVS and an Open Source Scan Converter, too, but haven't been using them much. I think I mentioned this, but I lucked into an old Magnavox tube TV with component inputs; it's not too big or too heavy and it's got a very nice picture. The picture didn't work right when I got it, but as it happens my father-in-law used to do TV repair so he fixed it up for me. Right now I've got my Genesis, SNES, and Wii hooked up to it, plus an old HTPC (for MAME via S-video).

I think there's a cheaper alternative to the OSSC now, too, for reduced-lag upscaling to modern TVs.

and the Everdrives, but every time I start to lean in that direction I tell myself I really ought to just get a Pi.

If you can budget a little higher I'd recommend going with something Intel- or AMD-based. Do all the emulator stuff plus PC games. I've got a full-on gaming PC hooked up to my TV; that might be overkill, but even a cheap PC should be able to do all the stuff a Pi can do plus low-end PC gaming.

Jeff Gerstmann digging into MiSTer and FPGAs and Parish getting his beautiful framemeister captures and this thread are all really bad for my self control about cobbling together a retro gaming set-up, but I've managed to hold off for now.

It's an unnecessary extravagance and I have more games than I'll ever be able to play. There are certainly other things I could have spent that money on, either responsible or frivolous.

But it's pretty cool, too.

(Plus, I've got all my old games sitting out on shelves so I can play them, and this gives me an incentive to box them up and tuck them away somewhere, get a little bit more space. I'll get around to it one of these days.)

But digging out my old GBA flash cart and GB player is sounding better by the day. (And if somehow they ever do a re-issue or you can find one of those Hori pads for a much more reasonable price, they actually are super nice.)

I gotta figure 8bitdo will get around to the GC eventually in its quest to release Bluetooth dongles for every system.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat May 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Lottel wrote:The newest bittboy is $40 and can play a lot of emulators. Everything I've seen says it's very good, especially for the price.

Saves seem like a bit of a sticking point, in that it doesn't emulate cartridge battery saves in any way and the snapshot save system built into the device has a habit of locking up the emulation?

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Sun May 19, 2019 12:35 am

If you can budget a little higher I'd recommend going with something Intel- or AMD-based. Do all the emulator stuff plus PC games. I've got a full-on gaming PC hooked up to my TV; that might be overkill, but even a cheap PC should be able to do all the stuff a Pi can do plus low-end PC gaming.

Raspbian has a pretty damned good Moonlight implementation so if you want to PC game on whatever it's hooked up to and don't mind a few ms of latency over your LAN you can do that.

Works as a surprisingly stable Remote Desktop as well, since Moonlight/GameStream/whatever doesn't make any distinction between your Desktop process and any other kind of DirectX app.