General Old Game Hardware Thread

Thad

General Old Game Hardware Thread

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:05 pm

My oldschool game setup is coming along nicely. I've got a CRT TV with component inputs, and I just bought a soundbar at the local used electronics store.

I fired up my Sega CD and it sounds fantastic, but its battery's gone and died on me. I looked into what it takes to replace it and nope, it is not a project for somebody who is barely competent at soldering such as myself.

Since I need to stop by the game shop anyway, maybe I'll ask if they do repairs. (My PS2 just quit powering on too, so there's that.) Or, if not, what it costs to just buy another one.

I was thinking of picking up a Mega Everdrive, maybe next bonus check (I've been quite pleased with my NES Everdrive and my SD2SNES), and in addition to loading ROMs it also works as a save cartridge for the Sega CD. That should help, but I'm guessing I still need to replace the internal battery if I don't want to have to reformat the internal storage every time I want to use it.

malikial

Re: General Old Game Hardware Thread

Postby malikial » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:31 pm

I watched a video of what needs to be done to the Sega CD and I kinda wish we lived closer. James could do that in like 15 minutes if he was having a good day with his carpal tunnel and his hands weren't shaking because of WRIST PAIN. I always hate and feel bad when stuff like this happens to my friends, when things I can repair, or know someone who can repair, easily are so far away. On top of that it wouldn't be real affordable for you to ship the damn thing across the whole of the US for James to spend 15 minutes fixing it. But, on the other hand, it IS a repair anyone who knows about small electronics and soldering can do very quickly so you could probably find someone in your area who could do it pretty handily.