General Old Game Hardware Thread

Thad

Re: General Old Game Hardware Thread

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:26 pm

Only took 20 years, but somebody's worked out a way to run burned DVDs on a PS2 without relying on hardware mods or memory card/hard drive hacks.

It's early days yet and has only been tested with v3.10 of the DVD player firmware.

I haven't found any information on whether it'll work with PS1 games. The PS2 achieves backward compatibility with (most) PS1 games by having an actual PS1 processor in it; previous exploits like Free McBoot don't have access to that processor and can only play PS1 games through emulation on the PS2's main processor. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here, too.

Course, the first thing I think is "Hey, I can play the translated versions of the Phantasy Star 1 and 2 remakes on real hardware now," but then I look at their pages on Romhacking and see that nope, they don't work on real hardware. At least, not through previous exploits, and I don't see why using a different launcher would fix the problem.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:59 pm

Still haven't fixed the rolling-picture issue on various cores of my MiSTer, but following my workarounds for SNES, Genesis/SegaCD, and TG16, I finally got one working for Game Boy.

I wrote: For whatever reason, if I enable Super Game Boy and load Mega Man 5, it fixes the rolling picture -- and once it's loaded, I can switch games; other games work fine after that (even if I turn off SGB mode). So I just enable SGB and save my settings, then make MM5 my boot2.rom and now I can play Game Boy.

Not sure why that game in particular; the same trick didn't work with Donkey Kong.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:01 am

Also: haven't experimented much with the Super Game Boy support; it gives two options (Border or On). I'm not entirely sure what On does besides showing the border; it doesn't appear to be running a Game Boy core on top of a SNES core. Space Invaders just hangs if you try to run the "Arcade" version.

(Space Invaders is the most fascinating Super Game Boy game, because it has a full-on SNES game on it. You can play the Game Boy version of the game with a border, like any other SGB game, but it also gives you the option of launching in "arcade mode", which actually reboots the game, bypasses the Super Game Boy ROM, and launches a full-on SNES version of Space Invaders -- in fact the same version that was sold as a SNES cartridge in Japan. It's a really cool gimmick and kind of a shame no other game ever did that -- but sure makes life easier trying to play Super Game Boy games 25 years later because that's a really hard trick to implement in an emulator or FPGA.)

...oh, I know what I should test to see if there's a difference between "Border" and "On". In DK94, Pauline's cry of "Help!" is a voice sample if you play it on an SGB but just an electronic noise on a Game Boy. Something to check tomorrow.

I think the border changes if you play for awhile too, to prevent burn-in? Or maybe there were idle animations? I don't remember exactly but I remember the cabin background used to go through a day-to-night cycle and the Metools in the Mega Man 5 border would pop up and down. Guess I can check and see if any of that happens.