Essential Games By Platform

zaratustra

Re: Essential Games By Platform

Postby zaratustra » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:30 am

Sharkey wrote:Aw heck, I always have to throw in MULE. It was originally for Atari 400 or 800 or whatever, and maybe my bias is showing, but I liked it best on the Commodore. There was an NES version, but the sound was flat and the graphics were more of a sidegrade than an improvement and I kind of hate it.

NES ports of computer games generally aren't very good.

mharr wrote:Which reminds me: Which platform was it that could support two independent mice for two player splitscreen Lemmings wars? Because that was peak Lemmings right there.

Lemmings dev says Amiga on his retrospective.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Mongrel wrote:
Sharkey wrote:Aw heck, I always have to throw in MULE. It was originally for Atari 400 or 800 or whatever, and maybe my bias is showing, but I liked it best on the Commodore. There was an NES version, but the sound was flat and the graphics were more of a sidegrade than an improvement and I kind of hate it.

AFAIK it was for the 2600? Which reminds me of another 2600 game: Seven Cities of Gold.

Nah, it was definitely the 400/800, as was Seven Cities. That's another great Danielle Bunten game, though. I can't imagine even trying to fit those on a 2600, though I can't believe half the shenanigans I see demoscene people pulling off with that thing these days, so I wouldn't say impossible.

Anyway, I can't say the C64 version is any better than the Atari 8bit. I've just got a soft spot for it.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 pm

Defenestration wrote:Dreamcast: Power Stone, Marvel vs Capcom 2 (This actually IS the definitive edition of MvC2), Shenmue, PSO

I'm going to throw in a vote for Psychic Force 2012 that is half personal, half real.

I love PF2012 with all my heart because it's a game I played when I was 13. But beyond that it's a weird little fighting game that does a lot of unusual stuff you don't really see elsewhere, and in some ways was ahead of its time. It's simplified in a way that's easy for newbies to pick up, but is also pretty fun once you figure out what you're doing. I'm lousy at fighting games so I can't say how much depth it really has, but I think the novelty and solid mechanics make it worth playing around with.

It's debatably ported better somewhere else, in that there was a PSX backport that added some neat extra modes, but at the cost of graphics and adding in some extra jank. I'd still say the DC version is definitive.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:39 am

Defenestration wrote:PSO

Spram

Postby Spram » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 pm

Solaris for the Atari 2600. Came out very late (1986) so nobody played it but it's one of the best, if not the best game on the console. I can also see Pitfall! is not there.

NES: Crystalis.

SNES: Secret of Mana. Sim City (favorite version of the game) Yoshi's Island.

Gameboy: Final Fantasy Legend 2. Final Fantasy Adventure. Gargoyle's Quest.

Gameboy Advance: Mario & Luigi (Not the 3DS version!) Metroid Fusion.

N64: Blast Corps. Banjo Kazooie. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, not a great game but has tons of charm.

PC: Sim City 2000. Half-Life. Civilization 4.

PS1: FF7. FF Tactics. Symphony of the Night.

PS2: Ico (Better in standard definition). Katamari Damacy. Valkyrie Profile 2

PS3: Dark Souls. Spelunky. Pixel Junk Shooter 1 & 2. I would say Red Dead Redemption, but playing it recently.. the magic was gone. :eek:

Gamecube: Metroid Prime. Pikmin or Pikmin 2. Paper Mario Thousand Year Door. Resident Evil 4? The Wii version's too easy. Haven't played the other 998 versions.

Wii: Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (they have merged into one in my head). Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Wii U: Super Mario 3D World

Arcade: Outrun (driver's seat version). Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Marble Madness

are we ignoring obvious classics like Super Mario Bros.? Why is Snake, Rattle and Roll there? It's good for an isometric platformer but essential?

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:07 am

SMB is in there (though I'm occasionally tempted to replace it with All-Stars), but 90% of the Mario experience is readily available with the four or five New Super Mario Bros games. Snake Rattle & Roll is pretty much unique in gamedom.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Speaking of groundbreaking EA games for C64/Atari 8bit: Mail Order Monsters was hells of fucking unique back in 1985, and arguably a precursor to monster training/trading games that Pokemon would make so goddamn popular about a decade later. It kind of is to Pokemon what Little Computer People is to The Sims. All the basic ideas are there, just a bit clunky and underbaked. There was so much fucking disk swapping and loading just to set up a match against a friend, but there wasn't anything else like it.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Being the Kaiju is *still* a massively underserved genre. Every indie company that tries it seems to die on the vine.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Needs a TurboGraphx/PC Engine entry.

Rondo of Blood
Gate of Thunder
Bonk/Bonk 2
Splatterhouse
Ys 1&2, 4
Lords of the Rising Sun
Cosmic Fantasy 2
TV Sports Baseball
Devil's Crush/Alien Crush
Snatcher

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Also, for Sega CD: I think you could maybe make the case for Night Trap as an historical oddity, but as far as quality games I think pretty much the only one that didn't have a better version on a later system was Dark Wizard.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:07 am

I'd say the Sega CD Lunars are different enough from the PSX re-releases to be worth taking a look at.

Did Snatcher ever get a better re-release in English?

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 pm

I think there was a Sega CD Snatcher?

The original Lunars are different but I consider the PSX ones definitive. YMMV

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 pm

They're different enough I think they deserve to count as different games, and therefore as part of the essential Sega CD library. The other Lunar remakes are a lot closer to the PSX ones, but there was a real overhaul between the originals and the PSX.

And yeah, Snatcher was released in English on Sega CD. I don't think it was ever released in English again, which would make the Sega CD version pretty important.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:29 am

Oh, that's right. I get the two confused.