Game musings and news

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Game musings and news

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Shelob uses her Maia powers to transform into a delicious bag of Doritos in order to tempt Celebrimbor. Can he resist the power of the dark crunchsplosion?

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:23 am

duck game 2 confirmed
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:22 pm

That looks wonderful.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:36 am

romosome cameo @ 4:22
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:35 pm

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Welp. It was nice while it lasted.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 am

Analogue Co is releasing a followup to the Analogue Nt, the Super Nt; Parish has a typically thorough rundown of what we know so far.

Chiefly: this one's a lot cheaper; it's made of plastic and only has two controller ports (and doesn't come with a controller, though it's got out-of-the-box compatibility with 8bitdo controllers). They're selling it for $189, on par with the RetroUSB AVS.

Parish also notes that the Analogue Nt is reprogrammable; its firmware can be trivially modified to simulate different consoles and to run ROMs. The Super Nt uses similar hardware and presumably will have the same functionality.

Not sure if it's for me; I'm pretty comfortable with the SNES setup I've already got. But it looks like a pretty neat toy. If it turns out it's got less of a shimmer problem than the AVS, I might see buying it as a replacement for that.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:45 pm

a good sign

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:31 pm

not even free-to-play

free-to-START

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Fuckin' Tom Nook

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:28 pm

So about 5 hours in it's not terrible but one thing is true:

You will definitely be paying money for this game.

Nookbux are only given for achievements and cash, and I've already completed all the base achievements that award them (dailies may come up, but the original 3 I was given provided about a dollar's worth total) just in permanent upgrades (inventory and crafting slots, far from max of either).

Nookbux generally get used for speeding up harvesting and crafting, or summoning animals that aren't currently available on the map and giving more requests to build up friendship every shift (3 hour blocks). Fruit trees of all types are all over and you just refresh a tree with money. For fish and bugs you can pay to instantly capture a big varied group (possibly one of every available type for the area? Only used the free one of each so far) that seems ripe for the exact type you need not showing up any other way while the request is active.

The main reason to pay over waiting is every 3 hours you get new requests and the animals you've unlocked more around and leave or enter the map. If you don't complete all the requests in that time the points are gone, and if you can't reach a minimum level you might not be able to call them back even with nookbux power (unsure) until they reappear on the map manually.

You can bring animals to your camp to stay permanently on the map (up to 8, no paying to unlock these slots yet, that I can see) and complete requests at a different rate that I haven't figured out yet. To get an animal to stay you need a certain friend level and a few different specific items set out. Of the three nonstarter friends I've befriended so far at least one of these takes more than 5 hours to complete (3 hour window to befriend before moving). Friendship also grows exponentially. I don't know if level to visit your camp is universal but you can get up to level 3 with one shift of requests and talking, then 3 to 4 takes as much as 0 to 3 and so forth. You start getting friend exclusive unlocks at 7 and it caps at 20.

Seems like it'll be popular beyond the IP hype. I'll probably burn out soon since they make it hard to steamroll and slowing is death for my interest, but if you like occasionally tapping to fish or bug hunt and realizing a timer was up over an hour ago doesn't cause anxiety, it could be a lot of fun.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 pm

I guess ultimately what I'm saying is...

You need 5 friends to go to the mine. Add me: 71717062640

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:15 am

zaratustra wrote:not even free-to-play

free-to-START

Frankly, I appreciate the more honest labeling myself.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:59 am

Hello. Here's my review of Super Mario Odyssey:

Thanks for reading.

Postby Newbie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:59 am

One of my favorite things is when a game establishes a pattern of engagement specifically to surprise you when that pattern changes, such as in NieR: Automata where you have a straightforward first play-through, new mechanics and storyline appear in the second cycle, and then things go completely off the rails thereafter.

Odyssey doesn't look like it's doing anything that dramatic, but I am getting a very similar vibe from the progression of levels I've played so far.

Also, I have no idea how you fuckers are breaking the 50-jump barrier in the jumprope minigame.
tiny text

atog

Postby atog » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:10 pm

I can't get past the Leaf tickets

like huh
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:31 am

Mario Odyssey is the the most charming game I've played in years. It's gorgeous, whimsical, mechanically fantastic, and has the best post-game of any Mario ever.

Postby Newbie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:58 am

I wasn't sure what to think of Odyssey's version of Bowser's Castle at first—he's gone for a Japanese traditional approach, this time around—but having now seen the credits, I have absolutely no complaints about the final level.

Bal wrote:Mario Odyssey is the the most charming game I've played in years. It's gorgeous, whimsical, mechanically fantastic, and has the best post-game of any Mario ever.

The true Mario Odyssey starts here.

Praise The Moon \[M]/
tiny text

Rico

Postby Rico » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:55 am

Bal wrote:Mario Odyssey is the the most charming game I've played in years. It's gorgeous, whimsical, mechanically fantastic, and has the best post-game of any Mario ever.

I liked the part where I was driving a scooter to try and not get eaten by a T-rex while wearing a full pirate outfit.

(Also, holy shit, I was not expecting any post-game content other than "Go back and get all the moons you skipped" and HOLY SHIT there is a lot of new content)