Game musings and news

Büge

Re: Game musings and news

Postby Büge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:12 am

Yes, this is real. Will be released on Oculus Rift and Playstation VR.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Ars has an interesting summary of the details that have called Billy Mitchell's Donkey Kong high scores into question.

tl;dr a slow-motion play of the video shows rendering details that are consistent with MAME rather than authentic hardware, and between that and improbably high scoring on the hammer, it looks like he probably save-scummed favorable RNG results.

He's still confirmed as scoring 900,000-point games without cheating. Ditto for his record as the first person to play a perfect game of Pac-Man. And it's been a long time since King of Kong; Billy was no longer a top contender anyway, his top DK score was ranked #20 on the all-time list. (With his top three scores removed, his top legit score now is #47.)

The most famous scene in King of Kong is probably the one where some of Mitchell's representatives go to Steve Wiebe's house and take apart his cabinet while he's not home, to check for modifications. This adds some substantial context as to why Mitchell suspected anyone who could beat his high score must be cheating.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:06 pm

It's been a long time since the documentary, but this does add significant new light on the events of it. The extremely sketchy scores Billy submitted that were shown in the documentary, the ones that were framed like they shouldn't have been accepted but then were anyway, were among those falsified and thrown out. And this means Steve Wiebe, even if he's nowhere near top score now, is officially the first person to have scored a >1 million point game.

It's a great coda to the story.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Uh.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:51 am

the trump administration is a fucking boss rush of the last three decades

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:42 pm

It appears that you can buy Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill on cartridge now.

There was word, during the Kickstarter, about being able to buy it as a ROM download too, but I haven't seen any such release for non-backers yet.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri May 18, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm getting the twitch to pick up a new survival game.

It sounds like Conan is finally a pretty much complete and fun game now. But as far as I can tell single player and each individual server all make you start from scratch. Meaning it's basically just single player or constantly getting ganked.

Metal Gear Survive still seems like a boring, miserable mess (but that's kinda what I look for in a survival builder) but one that lets you play solo to make a golden god character that you can then use when playing with friends.

As dumb as it seems that actually makes it a pretty even split in my book for which to choose. Anyone here have opinions on either offering?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri May 18, 2018 5:37 pm

Of those two, Conan Exiles at least has the option to set up a private server so you can play with friends without having to worry about ChronicMan420 chucking a spear into your head the moment you spawn. Metal Gear Survive does not allow this, probably because of whatever fucking energy system they implemented into their full-priced MGO mod.

Personally I'd rather run Ark if we were going to do something like this but I'm guessing that one's been done to death already.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri May 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Yeah that's the thing. Without a dedicated bronto server (or other friends I totally have) than any Conan multiplayer wouldn't persist past the session, unless we want to risk having mad blunts hacked into our inventories on a public server.

MGS, for all its mostly failings, doesn't seem to be server based at all. All multiplayer interaction I've seen has been more of a lobby system, so you can pick up with different people as you go, which I really like for a survival game with character progression. I understand you don't want new servers flooded with laser weapons and bullshit, but if I still have to punch the tree to get the wood stick to break rock to get the rock stick, etc., at least don't make me relearn how to make and wield the iron stick when I get to it.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat May 19, 2018 3:59 pm

beatbandito wrote:I'm getting the twitch to pick up a new survival game.

It sounds like Conan is finally a pretty much complete and fun game now. But as far as I can tell single player and each individual server all make you start from scratch. Meaning it's basically just single player or constantly getting ganked.

Metal Gear Survive still seems like a boring, miserable mess (but that's kinda what I look for in a survival builder) but one that lets you play solo to make a golden god character that you can then use when playing with friends.

As dumb as it seems that actually makes it a pretty even split in my book for which to choose. Anyone here have opinions on either offering?

IF you choose MGS, don't buy it from steam or anything. I'm still sitting on a key I preordered and never used, because it was an impulse buy I regret. I can let you have it for cheaper than the stores want.

Don't take this as a push to get that one, though. If you want Conan, get Conan. But if you decide on MGS, please keep that in mind.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 19, 2018 4:26 pm

sensiblechuckle.gif

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:37 am

It's been nice seeing a handful of companies -- Atari, Sega, Neo Geo -- actually embrace the legal distribution of ROMs.

The old Genesis games Sega sells on Steam, for example, are just the ROMs with an emulator. The ROMs used to be encrypted or otherwise obfuscated, but they don't do that anymore; you buy the games, you get the ROMs, and you can play them in the emulator they come with or you can play them with whatever emulator you feel like. Or put them on a Mega Everdrive and play them on a real Genesis, if you've got that set up.

I haven't bought the Genesis Collection on Steam because I already bought it on Amazon awhile back. But I'm considering double-dipping just to encourage Sega's recent Linux support and legal ROM distribution.

(I don't think they've updated the Amazon version of the collection to support non-Windows platforms and include unencrypted ROMs, but I haven't really checked.)

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:12 am

Doesn't the Amazon one just validate on Steam? I swear I did it that way.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 am

Not the one I got. Fucking .exe installer.

But it appears I paid $5 for it in 2015, which makes the prospect of re-buying a bunch of the same games feel like a lot less of a ripoff.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Hm -- Diablo-style dungeon-crawling with Final Fantasy-style combat. Interesting.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 am

(Actually not a trailer at all, just a slow zoom on a landscape shot).

Anyway, I don't think this is really huge news just yet. It's not like there was a widespread assumption that Bethesda WASN'T going to make a TES6, and this could still be years away, given the trailer amounts to nothing other than a confirmation that "yes, we're working on it".

The game will live and die based on how moddable it is. As moddable as Skyrim, and it'll have a long long life... but if it really pushes Beth's new Creation Club garbage hard, it could die quite quickly.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:12 am

Did a bunch of grown-ass adults just stand up to applaud a digit being incremented?