Game musings and news

Re: Game musings and news

Postby Newbie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:36 am

I am skeptical whether it's even possible to get more than a third of the moons prior to the credits sequence. I was specifically trying to leave moons for myself in each kingdom so I would have reasons to return; this is hilariously unnecessary.
tiny text

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Yeah I took a look at the list and a good third of them in every kingdom are clearly locked; I've been REALLY THOROUGH in my initial playthrough (not on purpose I'm just easily distracted and there is stuff EVERYWHERE in this game.)

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:45 pm

The traditional festival in New Donk City is digital joy.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:47 pm

Newbie wrote:I am skeptical whether it's even possible to get more than a third of the moons prior to the credits sequence. I was specifically trying to leave moons for myself in each kingdom so I would have reasons to return; this is hilariously unnecessary.

Just the silver cubes add about 20 to each area. Apparently you're unlocking new areas as far as 500 moons. It's fucking insane.

Also nothing is better than covering your hat ship in stickers and filling it with kitsch.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:40 am

Oh dang, they did a remake of Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, my favoritest Mario & Luigi game? Yes plz. I'd just been thinking of replaying it on the GBA, too. There's apparently some additional content somewhere but I've only just started the game.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:13 pm

everything about this goddamn game

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:02 pm

The 500 moon level is a motherfucker

Postby Newbie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:58 am

On my most recent attempt, things were going great! I'd only taken one hit, so I had a solid five health! I was getting farther than ever before! And the next area is just springy forks, so this should be a cakewalk!

For some reason, I couldn't capture the second fork no matter what I did. I went from 5 health to 0 in a matter of seconds.
tiny text

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:03 am

I've made it as far as the beaky bird flinging yourself between swinging wall segments and oh boy, that part is great because it doesn't matter how much health you have! It's a bottomless pit!

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Been playing Mini Ghost for the past few days. It's a really solid Metroid-style game! Been soothing.

François

Postby François » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Wait, Nioh's on Steam?

...today!?

And uh I guess Hand of Fate 2 is out today too?

Did Trump move Christmas up without telling anyone? That seems his style.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 pm

(Basically spoiler free)

891 Moons and every purple coin later ..

.. yeah I think I might have to spend 900 coins just to round that fucking number off. I learned the 'hard' way that after a certain point, you get the option to buy more than a single moon from Crazy Cap per kingdom, but if you haven't encountered that yet just know that there is basically no reason to ever do so. It only really acts as a way to speed up the milestones, which aside from the 500 Moon milestone, are just more unlockable costumes -- which cost coins, so you're spending coins to have less coins to spend on the costumes.

(I ended up buying 11 extra Moons because I thought I could clean out the store by using the 'buy 10' option and added one more for good measure, so it looks like final count is actually 880 Moons)

I have a feeling I'm going to end up running around just to earn coins to get the last three costume pieces I have left in the store, and then continue running around the strip-Mooned world sadly just because I don't want it to goddamn end.

(There are two very small perks for getting every Moon in the game, but if you start to feel burned out or frustrated on some of the more difficult grabs, I'd easily say the 500 Moon milestone is the most significant post-game unlock.)

Niku's Top Three Fuck You Moons:
#3: Vanishing Road Rush/Challenge from Post-Game Kingdom
#2: Beach Volleyball: Hero of the Beach!
#1: fucking jumprope genius fuck you fuck you fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you (you're fat)

Niku's Top Three Moons:
#3: Secret 2D Treasure -- This is a retro themed area in a post-game kingdom that is just incredibly fucking clever. More or less tied with "Scene of Crossing the Poison Swamp" from an Asian-themed kingdom in terms of cool shit done with the retro bits.
#2: Battle with the Lord of Lightning! -- the real dark souls starts here
#1: A Traditional Festival! -- probably the most joyous moment I've had in a game in a long goddamn time

Niku's Top Three Costumes:
#3: Bowser's Tuxedo and Top Hat for being the most goddamn stylish
#2: Fashionable Outfit and Captain's Hat because i'm the fun uncle
#1: Waluigi Cap and Waluigi suit because WA

Niku's Fuck You Costumes:
#3: diddy kong
#2: diddy kong
#1: diddy kong

Biggest disappointment? One of the post-game kingdoms has a handful of extra-challenging sequences that were fun and harrowing and frustrating .. and it turns out that every one of them is just a harder version of an existing challenge from earlier in the game. Which is fine! But I also literally did all of the extra-challenging versions before I had found a single one of the challenges it was riffing on, which made it feel a little like ".. oh" whenever I found one of the easier versions and breezed right through it.

Best dog: dog.

Favorite tiny detail: Moe-Eye's humming.

Fuck off: Cappy's Dreamworks Face every time you put him on the goddamn Odyssey.

Best Kingdom: Metro Kingdom yeah how fucking unique and special

Worst Kingdom: man I wanna say Cloud Kingdom because of how little there is to do but the boss fight there is SO FUCKING GOOD even if it's just the precursor to the better version later so Cloud Kingdom I guess.

Postby Newbie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Congrats, Niku! And a hearty fuck you for getting through the goddamn jump rope, I mean, seriously??

You know how in the post-completion level, there's a relatively rare capture available on top of the big thing in the middle, and with that you need to collect those little collectibles for bonus moons? The last two that I need in that stage are floating pretty high next to the tower where the goombas are located, but I can't figure out how to get to them while controlling this character.

I'll have to give some thought to my favorites. The snow kingdom really isn't memorable at all, but it probably contains the largest number of moons that I most enjoyed collecting. I love vision-obscuring snow banks; I love flailing around to clear them out.
tiny text

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:32 pm

For those collectibles: there's a bouncy thing next to a tree, and bouncing to the top of the tree should let you grab those pretty easily

Yeah, the snow kingdom is definitely more fun than it is interesting; it's super bog standard in terms of style and has a weird segmented sort of gimmick to it, but the actual gameplay is fun. But the gameplay is always fun!!

VITAL UPDATE: learned from this week's bombcast that if you press "Y" to pick a random outfit from your wardrobe, it will actually pick you a random outfit every single time you die.

Postby Newbie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Niku wrote:VITAL UPDATE: learned from this week's bombcast that if you press "Y" to pick a random outfit from your wardrobe, it will actually pick you a random outfit every single time you die.

Oh no, this is HUGE

I picked the wrong fucking day to leave my Switch at home...
tiny text

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:15 pm

That really is important. Time to kill Mario!

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Spram

Postby Spram » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:28 pm

I still think Mario Galaxy is better. (both of them, they're blurred together as one game to me)

It's still a great game. I will not get the 100 jump rope moon.

Favorite Kingdoms: I was surprised with how much I liked the wooded kingdom. It also had the best music. I also liked the beach level, but I always like beach levels. Mexican level was cool.

Least favorite Dingdoms: The moon with it's low gravity. I haven't played the darker side so I don't know about that one. AND I for one don't like the look of the Metro Kingdom, it would be much better to have a city that looks like those in Mario Kart's city levels, but I can see how normal non-idiot people unlike me can see the appeal of Mario being in a real city and I'm sure the only reason they did this is because of GTA's popularity (fight me). Don't get me wrong, Metro Dingdong is pretty cool. I also didn't like the Mushroom Kingdom.

Favorite capture: Cheep cheep.

Disappointments: The snail people in the beach kingdom could have been Nokis from Mario Sunshine. SPOILER: how do I write a spoiler?I don't like "capturing" Yoshi. I want to ride Yoshi. It was sad that the dark fantasy level was just a boss arena and not a whole level. Playing Dark Souls with Mario would have been the best thing. Maybe it's the mouth, but Mario gave off a creepy vibe during the entire game and then he gets all pushy at the ending on the moon and the Princess almost leaves him there stranded! Well, at least the Toads are still pure.

And the worst part of playing a Mario game is having to wait 5 years for the next one (I'm talking about "core" Mario games not spin-offs).

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:16 am

Yeah I'd tip the flag towards Galaxy too but that's one hell of a close matchup. Odyssey's got much better level design, more varied gameplay, and more just cool shit hidden in every nook and cranny; but Galaxy feels tighter, has more satisfying challenges, and its aesthetic is on-fucking-point from start to finish.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 pm

As much as I 10000% love Odyssey, same. The Galaxy duology is probably my favorite Mario that's ever been, but Odyssey comes damn close -- while Galaxy splits the difference by offering some slightly larger roaming areas among its tightly focused challenges, Odyssey offers a bunch of tightly focused challenges sprinkled around its larger roaming areas. That being said, Odyssey's motion controls are way less egregious than Galaxy's (and I'm someone who doesn't mind waggle in the least), which I think maaaaay end up making it age better down the road as Galaxy gets further and further down the rearview mirror.