Game musings and news

Friday

Re: Game musings and news

Postby Friday » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:34 pm

CAT FRIENDSHIP

SOLD

but seriously what the fuck? why do other people even bother making videogames it's over now

we just need Kiryu roll dodging under a giant demon's butcher axe and hitting him from behind with a zweihander and there would be no need for other forms of media at all

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:28 am

Esperath wrote:Image

the magic panty saga continues

almost forgot I was playing an apollo justice game here
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:45 am

I think it's funny that my main reaction is "Wow, that cellphone is OLD".

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:42 am

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:35 am

Glad to see they seem to have brought back the bots. Having to use tickets from mountain dew and doritos to access a game mode is almost as stupid as wanting to play 1v1s in a FPS so I'm kind of fine with it.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:44 am

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:28 pm

>2019
>wake up
>attempt to breathe
>mt dew fills my lungs
>the entire universe is mt dew
>i'm mt dew
>we are all one vs one with the mt dew

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:42 pm

My lungs are full of mountain dew but I must scream.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:36 pm

this game looks cool

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:16 am

Welp, not much to it, but it sure looks purty.

If there's a PC version, I'm totally in.

If there's no PC version, well, I really should finish The Witcher 3 anyway.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:36 pm

Civ 6 looks really good. A really nice improvement of almost all the shitty parts of Civ V and luckily I can barely run it.

Friend of mine sent me this quick review:

okay, 180 turns (1200ad, default speed) of civ6. some thoughts.

#1 - I think I'm bad at Civ for this board, I never beat Civ5 on god difficulty or whatever the highest was (but have on the step down from that). I started on King (one up from default) and wish I'd gone one higher, early game has been easy.
#2 - The game looks great, I love the more defined art style, results in a better looking game than the more realistic but lo-fi Civ5.
#3 - The city changes are great. Tile placement is very important and it seems like placing cities closer together is a lot more important than before. Tons of city changes here so won't get into too much detail.
#4 - Happiness is gone, this was another mechanic that was annoying. It was replaced with housing and ____ (forget name but more or less tweaked happiness). These seem much less annoying to manage and not as punishing as happiness could be. Don't have a strong feel on how this changes the viability of going wide.
#5 - The builder changes are great (they build stuff in one turn but you only get three uses from each) it speeds up the early game and solves the late game "i have 12 workers" management issues. Combined with this trade routes now build roads which is GREAT. Makes getting roads less painful, makes trade routes better, and makes picking where your trade destination is more important.
#6 - City states are so much better. You don't have to work to keep them happy but you get to choose which ones to focus on and still have quests, etc. The micromanage of them and pouring of gold into them is gone, it's nice.
#7 - Diplomacy seems improved if to a lesser degree than other areas. Good example from my current game is Fredrick the Great who started next to me. We got along OK early on with him saying how happy he was with my culture and science. I figured that was a good sign he was going to be friendly to me. Later I settled near him pissing him off. But after a while he went back to praising me and we're friends now. That felt predictable which I think is a step in the right direction. How it plays out later in the game and in other games is TBD.
#8 - Lots of small tweaks to how units work which I don't have a full handle on yet but they seem good. Units have a level up tree (so you can see future upgrades) and always heal to full when leveling which is nice. Scouts gain XP for scouting. Stuff like that. There is also limited unit stacking but I don't have a good feel.
#9 - Science is greatly improved. No more free techs but every tech is 50% off if you meet a goal. Most are fairly easy but you won't meet all of them. Between those goals being based on other techs around their level and no free techs "jumping" is a little harder than before. But it's really cool to plan out your teaching based on how many turns to finish a building that will give 50% off.
#10 - New policy tech tree is great, it's a second tech tree with same 50% off mechanic. Most give you cards (below) with wonders and government types sprinkled around.
#11 - Card system is neat, you get cards that slot into your government type for various bonuses, offers a high degree of customization with the downside of being more fiddly.
#12 - New great person system seems neat but don't have a good handle on it yet.

Crucial questions remaining for me are a) How much has diplomacy been improved and what specific changes are in place? and b) Is actual multiplayer with someone on another continent viable? You'd think it was with something turn based, but nooooooope Civ V broke in half when trying to play with anyone outside of North America; it was literally unplayable as games would collapse under their own weight by early mid-game.

But really the most important point is EIGHTY OF THE DOLERS OW MY ANUS HOLE NO

So gotta wait quite a long time for the right sale (my price point for the base game is probably $30 or, alternately, $40 for base + first DLC).

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:21 pm

As great as Battlefield 1 looks, wow, that has to be the WORST fucking value for money even by the already miserably low standards of "EA game with DLC".

Sorry, """"""""""DLC""""""""""

In filthy imaginary beaverdollars it's $80... or $170 if you want to play with all the maps and factions. In a game with only 4 fucking maps (maybe that's just the base game... unclear).

I mean, I can't come even close to being able to run it, so it's mostly moot anyway, but holy fuck, go to hell EA.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:18 am

There's actually 9 maps, its pretty fun too.

malikial

Postby malikial » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:30 am

9 Maps, great game, great graphics, the occasional funny bug. Really, nothing to dislike in the game at all... Well, that might be a bit simplifying it, Sniping is annoyingly strong but it is in all battlefield titles. ALSO, I only play shooters with groups of like 3 or more because I got buddies.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:17 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:45 am

Social Interaction Trainer, on Steam

- Translation of all scenario text to Bogan for Australian localization.

Watch the trailer videos

XD

Hardly Ideal

Postby Hardly Ideal » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:15 pm

Hardly Ideal, whenever terrible presidential news comes up wrote:Y'know, ever since the election, I've noticed the same pair of thoughts popping into my head:
1) I don't know how I'm going to survive four years of this.
2) Can we just talk about Death Stranding instead?

I didn't think I'd be taken seriously:
Image: Mention something from public radio
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Alex

Postby Alex » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:18 am

I try not to get too excited about anything, but goddamn, I need MvC4. I need it like Jameson needs pictures of Spider-Man on his desk.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:41 pm

Hardly Ideal wrote:
Hardly Ideal, whenever terrible presidential news comes up wrote:Y'know, ever since the election, I've noticed the same pair of thoughts popping into my head:
1) I don't know how I'm going to survive four years of this.
2) Can we just talk about Death Stranding instead?

I didn't think I'd be taken seriously:

Oh, neat. I haven't been paying attention to game stuff so it's nice having this sort of thing just sort of sprung on me. Dude sure knows how to make a trailer that invites speculation. Is that regular oil all over the place or X-Files/Secret World evil oil? Are those whale guts? Giant monster guts? And I guess that guy is techno-preggers with a psychic baby like some kind of literal Children of Men thing? Maybe there are no women around? It's a Kojima game, so that's probably for the best.

The military technology is all over the place. P47s in the air and then an M36 Tank Destroyer rolls by, so I'd expect some kind of WWII setting? But then Madds is wearing magic night vision goggles and a MOLLE, so I don't even fucking know. Time travellers, or maybe they just did the Skaro endless war thing and now they're down to an eclectic mix of anachronistic junk. Or Kojima's just being Kojima and wants to play with all the toys at once again.

Whatver it is looks neat. I'm sure I'll enjoy it in a couple years provided the Earth is inhabitable and videogames are still a thing.