Indies, Itch & Insider Art

mharr

Indies, Itch & Insider Art

Postby mharr » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:55 pm

So I was listening to Video Games Hot Dog, and they mentioned finding a game on Bennett Foddy's recommendation blog like everyone knew what that was. It's bloody brilliant, a slowly growing collection of obscure gems from the fringes, that psychedelic stuff you used to find at obscure BBS forums or demoscene LAN parties, with magazine length observations from the man himself putting words to things that were already scratching at the back of your mind.

Subserial Network subtly tells a story about the optimism embedded in early digital culture; of the hope many of us shared that new, more parallel and anonymous modes of communication would yield more authentic, fluid identities and deeper and more empathetic modes of human connection. It uses the visual language of early digital protocols like BBS, email and Lynx, to evoke a sense of nostalgia for that utopian vision, even though the narrative is set in a distant posthuman dystopia.

It also led me to the existence of Babycastles, which explains itself only via the medium of Max Headroom Blipvert, but can be usefully summed up thus:

Linkage: http://thatsnot.fun

Re: Indies, Itch & Insider Art

Postby Newbie » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm

If y'all weren't previously aware of Bennett Foddy's work (both as designer and advocate), let me apologize right now for my failure to inform you about it. But you probably already recognize him as the dev behind stuff like QWOP and Getting Over It. Thanks for linking that, mharr.
tiny text

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:27 pm

I'll leave one of my favourites here... I'm more a VN person, no surprise, but - it's lovely.
Also! zratustra! I'll check your things out, so...
Thus spoke WingSounds, I suppose?!.. (Imagegram seems really cool, but I'm nowhere near awake enough to fully explore it right now.)

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 pm

Man, you love ellipses don't you
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:12 pm

Aether Interactive keep showing up here. They're one of those purchase-on-sight devs, yes?

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:22 pm

For me, absolutely. I figure not everyone will have the same values, of course...
But when a developer makes something that affects you profoundly, then keeps making things like that, it's only natural!..

zaratustra - I've started hacking the gibson grid. Unfortunately!.. My hard-earned hand-edited inode coins cryptobux don't seem to increase past the first puzzle solved. Er, computer hacked, even. Given how incredibly important cryptocurrency is, I felt I'd let you know. (Also, VERY fun.)

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:59 pm

i'll take a look thank you

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:15 pm

My pleasure!
Also a quick update - in genocid3, your run has to be perfect, right? There's no way to restock?
I might need some graph paper...

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:18 pm

The Game Maker's Toolkit Jam 2018 is in, this year's category: Standard game genres but without their core mechanic.
https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2018/entries

Text Adventure, for example, does not feature any words.
https://kleinzach.itch.io/text-adventure

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:25 pm

Ooooo, cool.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:59 pm

There are some really neat games in there - the "Apostasy" RPG where you LOSE skills as you progress is a really cool idea, and there's plenty of other well-themed games. Some clunkers and a lot of repeat ideas too, but that's to be expected.

I did but a gut laughing at "Sisyphean Pinball"

BTW, I would also like to draw your attention to this:

Is... is that a combination of Velma and... Sharkey?