Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

zaratustra

Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby zaratustra » Sun May 10, 2020 1:33 pm

i finally got this game two weeks ago so here are the notes no one will care about:

1)

2) Overall enemies felt big and hard to dodge. I will not use the backdash button I refuse to.

3) Struggled against the final boss rush until I realized there was a Crissaegrim equivalent because of course there is.

4) I like the new recipe bonus system that adds flavour to the food items. I like the general gist of the shards, how sometimes they're like items but not always, and how even utility shards can have upgrades put into them. I don't like that the shards are, in general, not very creative (didn't use the "summon generic enemy" shards even once)

5) maybe the most blatant sign of this is finding Doppleganger and having her entire moveset be composed of very cool things I never bothered to do because I just went with the most generic projectile spell in the game

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Sun May 10, 2020 10:53 pm

The Summon Generic Enemy shards are actually really fun.

I'm not sure you can blame the game for you not taking advantage of all the fun things you can do in it.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon May 11, 2020 7:37 am

MarsDragon wrote:I'm not sure you can blame the game for you not taking advantage of all the fun things you can do in it.

Which is why God of War and Bayonetta both have completely equally crafted and balanced combat systems.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon May 11, 2020 12:26 pm

So I started over Randomized mode (on Hard this time) and got a pretty interesting seed. The way the castle is set up, you never quite know what path the game will force you to take as endgame mobility options are given to you early, but certain ones are denied, so you end up able to go to advanced areas earlier than usual but are also barred from normal progression.

Like I have accelerator and double jump, so I can do the sequence break to get to Blood Lady early (who, by the way, has an amazing Japanese VA if you haven't fought her with those on) but I still don't have High Jump, Inverter, or Hand, so I can't get through the garden guy who jumps over the big gap and breaks the rock for you. So actually the game forced me to go to Blood Lady and then back around and down through the library looking for more key movement shards.

I assume this is fairly standard with Randomizer modes in most games, but this is my first time experiencing it. Combined with "literally any chest could be a massive gear upgrade, and who the fuck knows what shard this guy has, up to and including things like High Jump or Inverter or Dimension Shift" it's pretty engaging.
ImageImageImage