Can my dream become a reality? (maybe?)

Spram

Re: Can my dream become a reality? (maybe)

Postby Spram » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:20 am

I got the game's itch.io page ready but not published. I got the game listed as $5.99 but I'm thinking of putting it on a short sale, even %100 off just to get the word out. I don't know if it's a good idea. I'll probably think about it for a long time until it's too late. I have nobody to talk about it in real life too.

After getting such a poo reception on Steam Greenlight I really feel like asking for 6 bucks for the game might be tooo much. Anyone has played the demo? What do you think?

I'm also already thinking of getting Clickteam Fusion and making a new Blimpo Warrior or Furballs platformer game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LmhPlENGnQ
^^^ Blimpo Warrior ^^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDtTYW3vnw
^^^ Furballs ^^^

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Can my dream become a reality? (no)

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:37 pm

I think $6.99 would even be fair AFTER you fix a couple of crippling issues. First, foremost and unforgivably: Why are you using the D-Pad for movement in a 3D game with controller support?

The rest are quibbles; I think you need a better way to aim tomatoes and maybe something like a targeting reticule; you should get the run power earlier; pressing A during a dialog should finish the current line and not advance it; et al. It's not huge stuff, just find a good reliable playtester with time to help you out. Zara and Kayin recruited a bunch of Pyokites when they were doing their things.

Spram

Postby Spram » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Brentai wrote:Why are you using the D-Pad for movement in a 3D game with controller support?

You used the D-pad? I use the left stick on my xBox controller. My D-pad only changes the volume (new thing not in the demo). What controller are you using?

Brentai wrote:The rest are quibbles; I think you need a better way to aim tomatoes and maybe something like a targeting reticule;

Aiming tomatoes is hard, I know. I can get away with it because it's not too important.. but I could add an aiming reticule, I think.

Brentai wrote:you should get the run power earlier;

Yeah, I know. I tried making it that you can get it as soon as possible, but maybe there needs to be more direction. Maybe an NPC tells you about the running shoes?

Brentai wrote:pressing A during a dialog should finish the current line and not advance it; et al.

That's some programming magic I don't know how to do because I'm dumb.

Brentai wrote: It's not huge stuff, just find a good reliable playtester with time to help you out. Zara and Kayin recruited a bunch of Pyokites when they were doing their things.

I already asked but no-one answered.

Spram

Postby Spram » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:05 pm

So I'm thinking of putting my entire game for free on itch.io for a short while just to get the word out. Does anyone know if that's a good idea?

Maybe my game is not so good. Maybe it's boring. I don't know. :(

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:35 pm

I say give it a shot. Does itch.io list number of downloads or any kind of stat like that? Might be useful further down the line to have a game in your profile there with downloads.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:27 pm

If you're going for free anyway why not put on a link to donate directly to you (if not disallowed by itch)? It doesn't seem like you're expecting this one to pay your bills and going in as a free game will give people a better attitude to help spread the word, and not completely dismiss the ability to make a buck.

Spram

Postby Spram » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:57 pm

Mothra: Itch.io does count the amount of times a page is viewed and how many times a file has been downloaded.

beatbandito: I'm not thinking of putting it up free forever. Just for a while so some people can download it and if they like it they might spread the word.

Anyway, Blanco got greenlit.

Spram

Postby Spram » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:19 pm

Why am I even doing this?

This is a bad idea. It ends in two days.
If you want the game for free: https://spram.itch.io/zissis-island/dow ... pbgpYB4et8

Just don't got around giving away that url to everyone. I'm going to stop giving away the game for free soon anyway so it won't go far. It's just a "gift" for everyone who helped me in this forum. Thanks!

François

Postby François » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:38 am

As much as I'd like to honor your generosity, there's no way I could bring myself to pay only four cents for this, mang. I've been waiting to buy it ever since I ran into that "invisible" wall in the demo and something inside me wanted to go the other side so dang much.

Spram

Postby Spram » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:12 pm

François wrote:As much as I'd like to honor your generosity, there's no way I could bring myself to pay only four cents for this, mang. I've been waiting to buy it ever since I ran into that "invisible" wall in the demo and something inside me wanted to go the other side so dang much.

Thanks! Let me know if you like it.

Anyway, I made a mistake. The minimum price is 50 cents. Not a big deal.

Secrets! Press "o" or "p" to toggle different image effects.
O = Edge detection (pretty lame).
P = Blue filter for more atmospheric exploring.

Spram

Postby Spram » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:02 pm

So now that I'm done with my crappy first 3D game I don't know what to do again.

I wanted to make a 2D platformer using Clickteam Fusion but I don't want to spend $100 on their program considering my first game has been a failure so far.

So, I started making a sequel to Zissi's Island. I'm thinking of items and power-ups to make the game less boring. Here are a few:

1. The tomato.
2. Banana, like the tomato but it goes straight ahead.
3. Ice: Freeze water to create platforms (my favorite)
4. Pineapple: I'll replace this with something else because this is crap.
5. Warp Shot: shoot at the sparkly areas to warp there. Easier than making a hookshot!

https://youtu.be/EJ3tCB7yCm0 <= oh great it's not working. :cry:

I don't know if this is a good idea since the reason I think Zissi's Island was mostly a greenlight failure is because it looks kiddy and sissy-ish. I mean, it's in the name. A game for sissies and gamers are some though guy badass motherfuckers who don't like no sissy colorful kids games.

François

Postby François » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:52 am

Spram wrote:Thanks! Let me know if you like it.

I like it! There are enough avenues to explore that I find myself taking notes, but half the time it's like "I clearly don't have the right item for this yet" and other half it's like "I have like four places I can check out right now and I don't want to forget about any of them", which sure feels a lot better than some games where at any given time every path is blocked by an item gate except one. The individual side-activities have a nice breezy feel to them, and I appreciate how they vary up the pacing. They're diversions, but that's okay, it's the right kind of game for cute, short diversions. I only have like four pearls by now, but I'm taking it slow and I'm not actually stuck on anything, so it's overall fun and relaxing and pleasant so far. Honestly, the last game I completed was Castlevania Lord of Shadow, and as much as I enjoyed getting in a fistfight with Satan, I gotta say a trip to a charming handcrafted island is just what the doctor ordered. It's like a vacation.

Also I really like the music you picked, it is basically perfect.

Also, I want to be my avatar when I grow up.

Spram wrote:A game for sissies and gamers are some though guy badass motherfuckers who don't like no sissy colorful kids games.

...I wonder what that implies about me, broseph. :P

Spram

Postby Spram » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:14 am

François wrote:
Spram wrote:Thanks! Let me know if you like it.

I like it! There are enough avenues to explore that I find myself taking notes, but half the time it's like "I clearly don't have the right item for this yet" and other half it's like "I have like four places I can check out right now and I don't want to forget about any of them", which sure feels a lot better than some games where at any given time every path is blocked by an item gate except one. The individual side-activities have a nice breezy feel to them, and I appreciate how they vary up the pacing. They're diversions, but that's okay, it's the right kind of game for cute, short diversions. I only have like four pearls by now, but I'm taking it slow and I'm not actually stuck on anything, so it's overall fun and relaxing and pleasant so far. Honestly, the last game I completed was Castlevania Lord of Shadow, and as much as I enjoyed getting in a fistfight with Satan, I gotta say a trip to a charming handcrafted island is just what the doctor ordered. It's like a vacation.

Also I really like the music you picked, it is basically perfect.

Also, I want to be my avatar when I grow up.

Thanks a lot!

I am screwing around with a car in Unity and got this to work. Made a quick terrain object and put some trees in it. Don't know how much I want to get into it right now.

https://youtu.be/DN4t1i-tyTA

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:18 am

This car thing is cool

Spram

Postby Spram » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:55 am

Zissi's Island has been greenlit!

I have to admit I thought I wouldn't happen but it did. Thank you all for your support!
I'm going to go ahead and try to polish it up a bit.

Mothra wrote:This car thing is cool

Thanks!

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:04 am

Hells yeah! Nice man!

François

Postby François » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:45 am

Haha, holy crap that's amazing. But not surprising! You got a good unique style and groove going on, and the people who dig it can tell they're not gonna get anything quite like it from anyone else. Congrats, dude.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:42 pm

Whoa! Awesome! Congrats dude!

EDIT: Wow there's actually quite a lot of comments on there now, all different kinds too.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:19 am

Great to hear. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:53 am

So basically what you're saying is that it's time to change the thread's name to end in (yes)?