VvW: The Strategy Guide

Moderator: Friday

Friday

VvW: The Strategy Guide

Postby Friday » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:23 pm

1. Read the fucking rules

no, seriously

I have literally lost count of the number of times people have done really dumb shit because they were completely ignorant of a rule. And I'm not talking about like, really obtuse interactions like what happens when Dracula carrying the Teddy Bear bites a Devil carrying Star Power and that same Devil robbed him that night with the Thief's Glove.

I'm talking about basic shit like "Wolves kill first."

(p.s. the answer to the above situation is The Devil robs Drac (because item powers go first) and steals his Teddy Bear and then Drac bites the Devil which would normally convert through Star Power's invincibility but since the Devil dies instead of being converted, his Star Power protects him, but the Teddy Bear isn't used up because Star Power takes precedence.)

2. Ask about the rules

Okay, snark aside, the rules are really fucking complex. And I'm not perfect. If you don't understand something, ask me! (Or whoever is running the game.) I get a billion questions per game and I never mind them, unless the answer is on the FAQ.

3. READ THE FAQ BEFORE YOU PLAY
3. READ THE FAQ BEFORE YOU ASK ME A QUESTION
3. READ THE FAQ BEFORE YOU BRUSH YOUR TEETH
3. IF THE WERETIGER WINS, DOES EVERYONE ELSE NIKU?

4. Okay, time to serious talk.
4.a: USE THE FUCKING AUCTION HOUSE

generally this advice only has to be told to innocents. Wolves and Vamps use the AH just fine. They coordinate their bids to maximize their powers. Innocents, especially vanilla innocents, tend to just ignore the AH. Considering the main reason I originally added the AH was to make the life of a vanilla inno more exciting, this fact puzzles me.

BUT ANYWAY BUY SOMETHIN' WILL YA?

5. Blocs and their powers

Making a bloc if you're a Seer-type is really powerful. It's also a good way to drop your identity into vampire or even wolf hands. Only one member of the bloc has to be turned to give you away to the forces of evil. Therefore, consider carefully who you include. Power roles are a good choice, since they can coordinate their abilities. Vanilla innos are not.

6. GOD DAMN VAMPIRES

Yes, killing the vamps is important, since they grow in number as time goes by. No, you shouldn't ignore the wolves entirely as they are capable of killing a lot of people in one night and taking a win by sudden surprise. It's happened before. Twice.

7. I'm a vampire/wolf what do I do

Hi, Friday here. You may remember me from such wolfgames as Friday flips the fuck out and Envy was Batman. We, the wolves, won that game for one simple reason: Before I flipped out, I told my entire team to damn me. They all voted the shit out of me, so when I finally died, they were lookin' good.

tl;dr: Vote for your team mates. Vote for them even unprompted. 'Bussing' (Voting for a team mate and getting them lynched, or 'throwing them under the bus') is a very, very, VERY potent play. Most people will consider the possibility that you bussed but then decide 'nah, that's a risky play that nobody except the old pros do. he's in the clear.' So unless you are one of the higher profile wolf players, bussing is a very strong tactic.

BE PROACTIVE.

I'm gonna say that again.

BE PROACTIVE.

It's the job of the innocents to find YOU. They won't hesitate to take the initiative and strike. After all, they have nothing to hide and aren't nervous about anything. I've seen wolf after wolf sit there in relative silence until the late game and is simply rooted out because they never contributed anything.

On the other hand, don't be TOO proactive. Don't be Guild. But some underhanded PMing can be incredibly powerful. I've seen some amazing play in that vein.

8. how do i inno

Use the AH. Use your power (if any). Watch people. Wolves/Vamps are always nervous about posting. They will tend to make posts that don't really say anything, or "talking without saying anything." Watch for people who can't make up their minds. Wolves love to keep options open, so they'll be loathe to "clear" anyone.

9. but Friday they read your guide now everything is fucked

yes, it's true that every wolf game is different. But trust me, these general tips are correct. I've played tons and tons of wolf, both here, in real life with my friends, and on Epicmafia. I have yet to see a game where these tips did not apply.

10. xbox
11. playstation
12. Guild
ImageImageImage