State of the Brontos

sei

Re: State of the Brontos

Postby sei » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:34 pm

Mothra wrote:
sei wrote:Having to click instead of hover to expand sub-navs, on desktop, sucks.

Yep, 100% agree.

I'm thinking of pulling out all the "Forum" dropdown options and putting them in the toolbar, then shortening the name of other things (or removing the words altogether) to make room.

Like, I could probably move Logout to the "Hello!" menu. Any objections to that? "Private Messages" could be deleted entirely so it's just the icon, "Home" probably doesn't need text (since you can just click the picture). With that much freed up, I could put all the Forum items on the bar itself.

Sound good?

Not sure what the mobile implications are for that change.

Here's another option.

The current nav expansion just toggles based off presence of a "clicked" CSS class.

(#nav-main li.has-dropdown.clicked .dropdown-extended, #nav-main li.has-dropdown.clicked ul.dropdown-menu @ common.css:422).

We could probably just change that to #nav-main li.has-dropdown:hover .dropdown-extended, #nav-main li.has-dropdown:hover.

Also, #nav-main ul.dropdown-menu @ common.css:397 would need the 10px top margin replaced with 10px top padding, so that we don't lose hover state when moving from nav buttons (e.g. Forums) down to their corresponding subnavs.

(I can think of ways to fake it with JS if we can't change CSS for some reason, but from what I recall, even if you need to preserve upstream theme compatibility, you can edit a custom.css file and just override shit.)

Anyway, I'm open to helping out with tweaks like these.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:37 pm

I just want the whoadangasaurus back. I don't know how to read these probably completely reasonable icons. They're just different. And I don't like things that are different.

Also did my webspace that I never use and don't care about until I can't actually use it make it across the gap? I kinda wanna put something there now that I probably can't.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:23 pm

I want to say that everyone's webspace came over... but your avatar is a blank, sooooo...

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:11 am

Okay my apartment internet got disconnected due to a convoluted plan I have to dodge a 15-dollar price hike by Comcast, BUT I'll still have internet at work. I'm taking Friday off, so I can't really do the fix Sei mentioned until Monday.

Sei I COULD send you the HTML template file if you wanted to make that change? I could stop by the cafe and send it sometime Friday if yes.

Also being stuck on a phone for internet will probably inspire me to make the mobile theme less clunky so that's something.

Re: Icons: Yeah those are ready to go, I just have to change the file that tells the board what dimensions every gif is.

Re: Webspace: Sharkey you gotta ask Lady since she's the one paying for it.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:46 am

I can wait until Internet service is back up at your place. I don't want to make you lug your laptop somewhere for that. :-P

I don't think an HTML template file is where that stuff lives. It'll be in a CSS file (or some SASS/LESS/php/whatever script generating the CSS) somewhere. It won't be fun working that out on a phone, so let's wait until stuff is stable at home.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:22 am

Not likely for like a month, unfortunately. I'll get this sorted on Monday then.

Lady

Postby Lady » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:49 am

Sharkey wrote:Also did my webspace that I never use and don't care about until I can't actually use it make it across the gap? I kinda wanna put something there now that I probably can't.

I can give you webspace again (send me a PM like mentioned a few pages back), but your files aren't on the new server. I don't know if Brentai made any backups, but the only stuff that came over is what each person moved themselves.

-edit- the ftp problems should be resolved now, but still seems even slower to load pages

sei

Postby sei » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:12 pm

Mothra wrote:Not likely for like a month, unfortunately. I'll get this sorted on Monday then.

Okay. Tested these in Stylish and they seem right. If it causes mobile issues, wrap in @media only screen and (min-width: 768px) { /* below code goes here */ }.

Code: Select all

#nav-main li.has-dropdown:hover .dropdown-extended,
#nav-main li.has-dropdown:hover ul.dropdown-menu {
    display: block;
}

#nav-main ul.dropdown-menu {
    position: absolute;
    top: 100%;
    right: 0;
    display: none;
    margin-top: 0px;
    padding-left: 0;
}

#notification_list {
    top: 81%; /* Fix hover behavior caused by floating gap & match Forums dropdown positioning */
}

#page-header #notification_list .dropdown-contents {
    border: 1px solid rgb(84, 26, 0);
}

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:39 pm

An Ankylosaurus appeared when I clicked "mark forums read"! :D

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Yeah I moved over the new images, but it's weird, they all have to be either all gifs or all pngs to work. So, I'm going to have to take all the dino pngs and turn them to gifs, which requires photoshop which is on my internet-less desktop, so Tuesday is probably the earliest I can finish that.

Sei, I'll be making that fix in a day or so - been busy feelin' old and eating turkey

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:42 pm

So, the "Remember Me" login cookie doesn't seem to stick around for more than about a day or so?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:53 pm

sei wrote:
Mothra wrote:Not likely for like a month, unfortunately. I'll get this sorted on Monday then.

Okay. Tested these in Stylish and they seem right. If it causes mobile issues, wrap in @media only screen and (min-width: 768px) { /* below code goes here */ }.

Code: Select all

#nav-main li.has-dropdown:hover .dropdown-extended,
#nav-main li.has-dropdown:hover ul.dropdown-menu {
    display: block;
}

#nav-main ul.dropdown-menu {
    position: absolute;
    top: 100%;
    right: 0;
    display: none;
    margin-top: 0px;
    padding-left: 0;
}

#notification_list {
    top: 81%; /* Fix hover behavior caused by floating gap & match Forums dropdown positioning */
}

#page-header #notification_list .dropdown-contents {
    border: 1px solid rgb(84, 26, 0);
}

Okay cool, looks like the hover change worked.

Going to check mobile in a bit.

sei

Postby sei » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:20 am

Bangin'. Hope you had a good turkey day.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:55 pm

So, apparently if the quickpost box is in focus and you hit page up / page down, the content jumps to the side and there's no horizontal scroll bar.

You can do the middle-mouse click thing to scroll partway back to the left, but content won't go farther left than this.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Weeeiiiird.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:08 pm

...Huh.

That's... hm.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:04 am

Is there any reason that tildes ~ ~ ~ are converted into dashes - - -? They still appear as tildes when you quote or edit the post, it's just a display issue, seemingly.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:29 am

Look Mongrel I'm not a scientist okay

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:30 am

I put in a query to the guys who made the base theme on what the eff is going on with the text box scrolling issue. I'll letcha'll know when they get back to me.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Has it been really bad for anyone else the past two days? I'm getting full-minute load times on all pages, and posting takes 2-3 minutes to go through, sometimes timing out before showing the confirmation (posts do go through, it just takes forever).