#Tell Friday

Thad

Re: #Tell Friday

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:30 pm

Friday wrote:It's funny because the concept (they're always guilty and get caught) is exactly Columbo. The audience knows who did the murder and even how, it's not a who dunnit, it's a how-catch-em.

I've been watching a lot of OTA TV lately and I find the Columbo formula refreshing. It frees the series from a lot of mystery tropes like trying to keep the audience guessing with red herrings, or otherwise trying not to make it obvious who the killer is. You don't even have to see the beginning to know who the killer is in a Columbo episode; you can tune in in the middle and it's still obvious (and almost always the most famous guest star).

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:30 pm

More of the tall Boa Hancock cosplayer:

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:10 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:57 am

thanks, now i'm gonna spend the next few months randomly interrupting my friends "what are sneeches?"

I've been watching a lot of OTA TV lately and I find the Columbo formula refreshing. It frees the series from a lot of mystery tropes like trying to keep the audience guessing with red herrings, or otherwise trying not to make it obvious who the killer is. You don't even have to see the beginning to know who the killer is in a Columbo episode; you can tune in in the middle and it's still obvious (and almost always the most famous guest star).

You know I was talking about Columbo recently and it was brought up that he's a cop and ACAB so is therefore Columbo also a bastard?

I thought about this. So firstly he's a fictional character and you don't apply that kind of thing to fictional characters, which Bongo pointed out. And also he's a detective, not a cop exactly. Even in a society without cops you'd still need detectives to solve crimes. Buuuuut, I do think there's an undercurrent in Columbo that sort of sets him apart, and it's one that others have noticed: he almost always (or very nearly always) goes after the rich.

There's been a lot of back and forth about the classism aspect of Columbo that even I, who only recently got into the show a few years back, have seen a lot of discussion about. Whether the writers and creators of the show intended that aspect to be there doesn't really matter to me, though. I think the message of a bunch of rich assholes who are used to getting their way no matter what being pecked to death (well, jail) by Columbo to not so gently remind them that they actually can't do whatever they want and they are NOT above the law is a good one.

Cops exist, in actual form and function, to protect the property of, and serve, the rich. Columbo escapes ACAB by doing exactly the opposite of that.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:47 am

He also runs directly counter to the image of the heroic cop. You have this small disheveled guy who looks borderline homeless, and this directly causes him to be completely dismissed by the rich and powerful.

I often find genre subversion or deconstruction to be too clever by half, but not in Columbo's case. The show is subverting nearly everything about cop shows, but it all works (in part because many cop shows are celebrating terrible things).

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:56 am

Friday wrote:There's been a lot of back and forth about the classism aspect of Columbo that even I, who only recently got into the show a few years back, have seen a lot of discussion about. Whether the writers and creators of the show intended that aspect to be there doesn't really matter to me, though.

Yeah, the subtext is there whether it's intentional or not. (Scooby-Doo's writers didn't intend for it to be a children's parable about empiricism, but it absolutely is. At least in the original series, ghosts and monsters aren't real, the villain is always an adult who lies to children, there's always a rational explanation, and the mystery is always solved by the girl who keeps her cool and looks for it while her friends allow their fear to overcome their common sense.)

But FWIW, here's a story I read on Twitter last year, as written by John Bull (link goes to archive.org; you're not giving Musk your traffic if you click it; the full thread includes stories about Angela Lansbury and Jack Klugman being similarly awesome):

That brings us to Peter Falk. I discovered during research ages ago that Falk was actually an uncredited writer on several Columbo episodes.

Why uncredited? Because he was doing it to cover for the NAMED writer who was sick and being treated for cancer.

Falk (and others) knew that if the studio knew the writer was too sick to work, they'd fire him, losing the medical plan covering his cancer care.

So Falk wrote them and lied to studio staff repeatedly whenever they asked where the writer was, saying he was just off set that day

[...]

Klugman, Falk and Lansbury were all actors who'd legit come up, and built careers, the hard way. And they all saw themselves as having a duty to the people around them and society beyond. They each realised they could leverage their on-set power to help others, and did.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:15 pm

Mongrel wrote:He also runs directly counter to the image of the heroic cop. You have this small disheveled guy who looks borderline homeless, and this directly causes him to be completely dismissed by the rich and powerful.

I often find genre subversion or deconstruction to be too clever by half, but not in Columbo's case. The show is subverting nearly everything about cop shows, but it all works (in part because many cop shows are celebrating terrible things).

And in large part it works because Peter Falk is just so goddamn great.

I re-watched The In-Laws a little while ago, after Alan Arkin passed, and both those guys were so good individually, and magic together.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:14 pm

That too! Absolutely!

JD

Postby JD » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:41 am

Peter Falk is credited as writer on one of the later episodes, "It's All in the Game", where he kisses Faye Dunaway.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:02 am

Friday wrote:I thought about this. So firstly he's a fictional character and you don't apply that kind of thing to fictional characters, which Bongo pointed out.

otoh it's gross when spider-man is super friendly with cops and happily surveilling the public on the request of the cops, which does not actually make spider-man a cop or a bastard overall but did apparently (i have not yet played spider-man 2) lead to him very obviously and blatantly saying WOW, WE DON'T *SPY* ON *PRIVATE CITIZENS!!* in the new game to course correct which i just find hilarious

also all of paw patrol are definitely acab

aside from them who know exactly what they did though it's not the fictional characters themselves who bear the brunt of this blame and they should ideally turn upon their acab writers and creators a la duck amuck

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:33 am

Niku wrote:also all of paw patrol are definitely acab

The libertarian wet dream that is Paw Patrol isn't enough, did you hear that conservatives looked at Bluey as wholesome childrens' television and went "Well absolutely fucking not" and are launching an ultraconservative ripoff

this is not a joke it's called Chip Chinchilla

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:37 am

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:38 pm

(not the same video twice)
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:04 pm

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:00 am

full moon tonight eh

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:59 pm

A corgi at Corgi Beach Day suddenly ran up to me, her name was Friday.

You could have told us you were a corgi all along.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:02 pm

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:48 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:05 am

A corgi at Corgi Beach Day suddenly ran up to me, her name was Friday.

You could have told us you were a corgi all along.

One time I was out for a walk in upper park, on a path that goes along the creek. It's a super beautiful area and you can basically take it all the way up the canyon for miles and miles. As I was walking back this mom with her kids and corgi is coming the other way and she's got the corgi off the leash. The dog comes right up to me and I say out loud "oh no, you're my favorite kind of dog, I love you so much" and start petting her. The mom and I chat for a minute and I learn the dog's name is Celeste and she's three years old. Anyway I left and I'm maybe 3 or 4 minutes down the trail when I turn around and Celeste has just been following me the whole time.

relationship with mom over, Friday is my new best friend
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:07 am