CHAT DUMP (and Quotes)

nosimpleway

Re: CHAT DUMP (and Quotes)

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:30 am

Lyrai wrote:[18:32] <R^2> When I have children the first word I will teach them is "brains"
[18:32] <R^2> For a while I will have an adorable little toddlerzombie stomping around my house.
[18:36] <Caithness> is that really how it works?
[18:36] <Caithness> children aren't like birds
[18:36] <Doomykins> Yeah! Birds are smarter.

Man I'd forgotten about this but thanks for reminding me
of when I was funny :(

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:31 pm

THE PACT HAS BEEN SEALED

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:42 am

<Brentai> All I want from the future is to be able to shout "SHOW ME!" while throwing my arms out in front of me and have two dozen racist Twitter feeds show up in my actual field of vision.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:51 pm

(Context: http://botnik.org/apps/writer/)

<Pisa|Katto> okay, uploading katestory poorly edited txt file
<Pisa|Katto> let's see how we do.
<Pisa|Katto> Sonic the dark lord of light erupted through the floor. It was something truly insane that he had managed to find his friends. Obviously, he morphed into sabin and said, "i'm thaddeus boyd and now we're starting this story. "

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:55 pm

You'd better run, son.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:03 am

Does it feel a little front-loaded to anybody else? Like, disproportionately picking words from books 1-7 or so.

(Though, come to think of it, the "Jesse" referenced in my chapter would have to be Jesse Brown (Book X); I thought at first it was Amaroq, but he was always Jess, never Jesse.)

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:07 am

It's possible there's a termination character or something in the txt file; I mostly just hit Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C for the Katestories on the boards, which copied a lot of extraneous shit.

Since the Katestories are distributed across different formats and board incarnations, it's a bit less trivial to design a scraper to grab the post content only.

I'm actually surprised at how robust it's been against like 50 instances of people's sigs.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 am

I haven't checked to see if the predictive keyboard is using pure Markov (memory-free) or like a shifting window to generate suggestions.

The limited nature of its suggestions are definitely a problem for more common words, where you just end up with the same 18 suggestions over and over. In particular, if you try to lead with a quote, it'll give you exactly the same shit every time ("gamepro). I generally just start typing and edit the quotation marks in at the end. I frequently lead new sentences with a shuffle.

The Botnik people appeared to solve the quotation problem for their Harry Potter botjaculation by having different text files for the dialogue and narration.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:16 am

I warn you: Do not call up that which you cannot put down!

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:24 am

Esperath wrote:It's possible there's a termination character or something in the txt file; I mostly just hit Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C for the Katestories on the boards, which copied a lot of extraneous shit.

Since the Katestories are distributed across different formats and board incarnations, it's a bit less trivial to design a scraper to grab the post content only.

I'm actually surprised at how robust it's been against like 50 instances of people's sigs.

I've got a copy of 19 that's just the text and BBcode, if that helps.

Probably have similar versions of the last few before that, too (I've taken to keeping multiple copies of everything in multiple formats since losing Book IX all those years ago), but I can't find them offhand; they were a few hard drives ago.

The limited nature of its suggestions are definitely a problem for more common words, where you just end up with the same 18 suggestions over and over. In particular, if you try to lead with a quote, it'll give you exactly the same shit every time ("gamepro).

Yeah, I picked that up right away.

I generally just start typing and edit the quotation marks in at the end. I frequently lead new sentences with a shuffle.

Ah, now that's a good tip. I was wondering what to do about the neverending sentences.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:51 am

Thad wrote:
Esperath wrote:It's possible there's a termination character or something in the txt file; I mostly just hit Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C for the Katestories on the boards, which copied a lot of extraneous shit.

I've got a copy of 19 that's just the text and BBcode, if that helps.

Probably have similar versions of the last few before that, too (I've taken to keeping multiple copies of everything in multiple formats since losing Book IX all those years ago), but I can't find them offhand; they were a few hard drives ago.

Please feel free to make a cleaner source file if you want; it'd be interesting if we could get a more continuous narrative working with this thing.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:13 am

I'm not seeing anything in the word offerings after September 1996 or so, which makes me think that Botnik either ran into something that prevented it from parsing further, or (more likely) only builds associations for a limited sample size to improve speed.

Thad wrote:(Though, come to think of it, the "Jesse" referenced in my chapter would have to be Jesse Brown (Book X)

I'm seeing this from 1995.01.07:

Anticlimax went on to explain that a deep voice had boomed the words, "There's a brand new game being programmed by Thad 'X' Boyd and Jesse 'W' Morris! It's called Find the Keys, and it stars two characters: SEKR, whom some of you know, and Ostrah, a guard at the secret government agency known only as 'SEKRity'! For more information as to the plot, just ask!"
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:18 am

On the plus side, it looks like you can link directly to the Katestory source! This should make it easier to participate on a whim.

(Also, this discussion may want to get moved to another thread)
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:29 am

Esperath wrote:I'm not seeing anything in the word offerings after September 1996 or so, which makes me think that Botnik either ran into something that prevented it from parsing further, or (more likely) only builds associations for a limited sample size to improve speed.

If the latter is the case, I may be able to do some little hacky thing where I chop up the KateStory text into several smaller files, and then concatenate the resulting keyboards.

Looks pretty easy, dunno if it'll work. Will probably give it a try tomorrow. It would be more fun to have a larger lexicon to work with.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:17 am

Okay, I broke up the Katestory text into five separate chunks and then linked them all together; I'm getting text suggestions from all five, with words that only occur in one fragment.

Give it a try and see how it works for you.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:42 am

Just a quick word: Per Esperath's suggestion, I changed my settings for 4x7, which offers more word options. You might want to try that if you're trying to force some semblance of continuity.

Or maybe the challenge of making something out of the more restricted 3x6 grid is more fun! Up to each of you guys.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Esperath wrote:
Thad wrote:(Though, come to think of it, the "Jesse" referenced in my chapter would have to be Jesse Brown (Book X)

I'm seeing this from 1995.01.07:

Anticlimax went on to explain that a deep voice had boomed the words, "There's a brand new game being programmed by Thad 'X' Boyd and Jesse 'W' Morris! It's called Find the Keys, and it stars two characters: SEKR, whom some of you know, and Ostrah, a guard at the secret government agency known only as 'SEKRity'! For more information as to the plot, just ask!"

Wow. I had completely forgotten about that. I haven't thought about Jesse Morris in a long time. He was a middle-school classmate of mine (like Steve and Girard).

Anyhow, thanks for all your work. I'm still barely competent at things like thinking and walking (cold/cold medicine), but I'll see if I can update my blog and the KateStory page in the next few days.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:57 pm

14:55 <myew> !Cah nubile slave myews.
14:55 <Utsuho> What helps Obama unwind? nubile slave myews.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 pm

<Grant> I'm looking forward to the conspiracy theories of where the money went
<Monty> "I definitely didn't take it," protested Mr. Smith, who was unable to explain how his job as a military accountant had paid for a solid gold castle.
<Khaos> "this? oh this is what you can afford when you dont waste your money on women and movies"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:16 am

<fmm> Saw this:
<fmm> Your Star Wars name = put a space randomly in your favourite pasta dish.
<fmm> mine is Carb Onara
<viashino> Bolognes E
<viashino> seems fine
<Mongrel> Chicken Mar Sala
<Mongrel> Wait... hang on...
<Wrathy> Mac Andcheese
<Iteration> Momspag Hetti
<Glocks4Interns> TGI Friday's Ca Jun Chicken Pasta