CHAT DUMP (and Quotes)

mharr

Re: CHAT DUMP (and Quotes)

Postby mharr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Whatever happened to continuous transmission anyway? Well, I guess EVs will have that by default.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 pm

mharr wrote:Whatever happened to continuous transmission anyway? Well, I guess EVs will have that by default.

My Subaru and my mother's both have CVTs. It's pretty reasonable and I never learned stick shift anyways.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Friday wrote:That particular image was edited to be loss, yeah. The real one is here.

Pairing that image with that perfectly point-missing pun is just... well, my generation can't really express it better. "Mwah".

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:13 am

I've read that most Nissans have CVTs in order to make it easier to comply with fuel efficiency requirements.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Yeah, there's a couple cars which have them, but I can't recall which ones (I guess they're Nissans!).

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Some exhaustive wiki glancing says they're used a lot in smaller vehicles where ease of use takes priority over relative efficiency. Snowmobiles, small tractors, lawnmowers, golf carts... huh, power tools like drill presses and milling machines? I guess that makes sense.

And I remember it being advertised as a features on the original Honda Insight, but I think it's used in lots of hybrid and/or electric cars now.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:33 pm

They make a lot of sense in electric cars, yeah, given the output profile of electric motors.

Funny enough, this reminds me of a recent high-powered electric sports motorbike which was sold with a six-speed manual "transmission" (the effect was emulated) even though it was completely and totally unneeded, because the manufacturer thought bikers wouldn't buy it if they weren't about to "shift gears".

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:07 am

Mongrel wrote:They make a lot of sense in electric cars, yeah, given the output profile of electric motors.

Funny enough, this reminds me of a recent high-powered electric sports motorbike which was sold with a six-speed manual "transmission" (the effect was emulated) even though it was completely and totally unneeded, because the manufacturer thought bikers wouldn't buy it if they weren't about to "shift gears".

On my Subaru (which is one of the few hybrid ones) the default automatic mode just does full CVT things as far as I can tell, but you can switch and go into some sport mode where it simulates a six-speed transmission and it's got paddle shifters on the steering wheel for the people who feel the need to "shift gears".

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:35 am

I enjoy manual because having a 'more torque' lever feels good and you basically never need the brakes, but emulating the complexities of a gearbox just because people hate change is hilarious. If the power train has infinite torque just gimme a USB joystick port in the drivers side door armrest and an emergency stop lever that physically disconnects the motors.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:35 pm

My attitude towards manual is basically "I don't want to have to do it all the time if I don't have to." That's more or less why I haven't bought a Focus RS already.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Given that I don't have the option all I have to say is that nothing makes you despise manual like having to regularly drive in heavy urban traffic.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:07 am

Mongrel wrote:Given that I don't have the option all I have to say is that nothing makes you despise manual like having to regularly drive in heavy urban traffic.

My engine just turns itself off when I'm doing stop-and-go in heavy traffic, thanks to being hybrid.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:25 am

Grath wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Given that I don't have the option all I have to say is that nothing makes you despise manual like having to regularly drive in heavy urban traffic.

My engine just turns itself off when I'm doing stop-and-go in heavy traffic, thanks to being hybrid.

Yeah, I think that's been a thing for close to a decade now? Like it still "feels" recent, but I think it's been around for a little bit.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:34 am

My last car almost caught fire due to constantly spraying oil everywhere on the undercarriage.

This has been my contribution to this.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:50 am

<Friday> ok listen
<Friday> i just want you to know
<Friday> that last night
<Friday> I asked you
<Friday> "why is burrit so funny"
<Friday> and in reply you said
<Friday> "crows"
<Friday> that's how high you were
<Romosome> no I did not
<Friday> yeah you fuckin' did
<Romosome> what the hell I don't have logs of last night
<Romosome> what is this
<Friday> <Friday> i'm gonna get a burrit
<Friday> <Romosome> omg
<Friday> <Friday> why are we saying burrit
<Friday> <Friday> why is it so funny
<Friday> <Romosome> because we crave novelty
<Friday> <Romosome> listen
<Friday> <Romosome> I saw a documentary on bird intelligence
<Friday> <Friday> bird int
<Friday> <Friday> str, dex, con, int, bird int
<Friday> <Romosome> and how these birds in australia and crows are both super smart
<Friday> <Romosome> like they use tools
<Friday> LITERALLY
<Friday> "WHY BURRIT"
<Friday> "I SAW A DOCUMENTARY ON BIRD INTELLIGENCE"
<Romosome> I EXPLAINED MY RESPONSE THOROUGHLY
<Romosome> THIS IS MISLEADING
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:15 am

I've had eight hours' sleep over three days and can follow Romosome's logic without pause. On balance, this probably supports Friday's position. Where buy burrit?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:49 pm

My Scottish buddy recently did the most stereotypically British touristy thing you can do: Go on vacca to Spain.

<Faceless> Big travel trip: when going somewhere non English where you're not fluent in the language, make sure and practice the hell out of numbers.
<Faceless> My biggest stress this holiday has been my poor knowledge of Spanish numbers since
<Faceless> a) a lot of interactions are transactions that just involve the man saying a number with a couple of niceties thrown in and
<Faceless> b) with a basic knowledge you can pronounce unfamiliar words and figure out the meaning from context, but numbers are generally written as numbers rather than words which means you kinda want to know in advance.
<Faceless> I'm sure this is incredibly obvious to everyone else, but it really put me in awkward positions this week
<Mongrel> Uno, dos, tres,
<Mongrel> cuatro, cinco, cinco, seis!
<Faceless> Literally used this song to remember 4 and 5 lmao
<Vodalian Stallion> Yeah it's the two 5's that really throw non-native speakers for a loop. And the fact that they use base 7.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:30 pm

<Dr Slearch> denethor got to finally go back to solving spooky mysteries with the FBI in his home dimension
<Doug> A mountain full of s-s-s-soldier g-g-g-ghosts?!
<Grant> Let's see who this Annatar *really* is!

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:39 pm

I believe I have mentioned that the latest season of Legends of Tomorrow involves the heroes realizing that the bad guy sounds exactly like John Noble and so they go find John Noble in his trailer preparing to shoot Lord of the Rings and get him to record some lines which they then use to trick somebody into thinking the bad guy is saying them.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:07 pm

<rhodox> brown bears that encounter psylocybin mushrooms in the wild will patrol, ration, and protect them
<rhodox> so if you see a brown bear in the woods there's a non-zero chance it's tripping fuckin balls
<leeham> if you are attacked by a brown bear just tell it you're a machine elf and you've come to open its 3rd eye
ImageImageImage