MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:41 pm

Look, I know the board's quiet and there aren't too many of us left, but there's till like 30 people who post or read regularly. It's how we keep in touch and sometimes share things.

There's still things that happen from time to time. There's a new Equisite Knorpse thing going on RIGHT NOW - and that's all you guys, not me. I think it's a bit early to throw up our hands and pronounce the patient dead, Jim.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:13 pm

Talking Time is one nightmarish alternative, it's true.

I've been posting a lot on SelectButton.net recently.

I will be starting an X-Com LP soon, for those interested in such a thing.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:16 am

nosimpleway wrote:I'm all for calling the board dead, but to what alternative? Where else are we gonna go, Talking Time?

Wouldn't they be surprised if we all show up at once.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:21 am

they would have to solve a

brontological mystery

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Dead is relative. Something Awful posters are always lamenting about how that place is dying, but it still has more activity than Talking Time ever did. I say a forum is never truly dead until the spambots have taken over.

patito

Postby patito » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:11 pm

God kmows they've tried over here.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:47 pm

It sure is terrible this forum is dead and nobody posts here ever.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:56 pm

nosimpleway wrote:I'm all for calling the board dead, but to what alternative? Where else are we gonna go, Talking Time?

Guild still posts there and they don't allow you to actually be angry at people, so, no.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:03 pm

Lyrai wrote:Guild still posts there

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:59 am

To be clear, my original post proclaiming death was not to advocate abandoning Brontoforum.us but to point out we need new blood. Not that I have a good idea of how to do this; we'll need regular and interesting content to attract new posters and hell if I know where that will come from.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:08 pm

TT's not really getting floods of new users either, they just have a big enough base the decline will take longer to notice. Already they've got the thing where the people that show up for the real-world meetups don't actually post anymore. And, you know, they refuse to ban Guild and are the Geek Social Fallacies incarnate, which is why all the cool people have left already.

Maybe if everyone tries to drag their other friends into this ancient circlejerk we'll have new blood?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Man, I feel so bad that I don't see or even talk to Koipond anymore. Dude just got real busy with real life and real family... I think even his side game business fell by the wayside. I keep meaning to set up a game night or something to have him over but never do.

I don't know for sure that he doesn't want to hang out anymore, but I always hate to be the clueless annoying guy who bugs other people who don't want to talk to him [joke about this being my entire role on the forums].

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:41 pm

Honestly I think now that the boards work at normal, not slow as fuck, speeds there has been more activity in the last week or so than in a while. When I log in for the day like all five forums have posts in them now!

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:59 pm

Mongrel wrote:Man, I feel so bad that I don't see or even talk to Koipond anymore. Dude just got real busy with real life and real family... I think even his side game business fell by the wayside. I keep meaning to set up a game night or something to have him over but never do.

I don't know for sure that he doesn't want to hang out anymore, but I always hate to be the clueless annoying guy who bugs other people who don't want to talk to him [joke about this being my entire role on the forums].

I managed to talk to him on facebook a couple of times. He's still doing game design.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:12 am

Defenestration wrote:I never understood the taboo behind necroposting. If there is a topic that is only recently discussion worthy again, what's the point of making a new one if there is an old one? Who gives a shit if it's 2 years old? I think it makes things simpler.

I suspect there are two reasons it's generally frowned on, neither of which is applicable in this case.

One is that it happens all the time on informational boards. It's fucking annoying when somebody has a computer problem, Googles it, finds a thread nobody's posted in for 5 years, and signs up for an account just to say "Hey man did you ever figure out what the problem was?" to somebody who is clearly not there anymore.

Another is shitposting. People bitching at each other is inevitable, but it's one thing to do it when a conversation's still fresh and another to show up a fucking month later to stir up new shit for no good reason.

Aside from those two cases? I don't see any harm in it. And I think I'm usually the guy saying "Don't we already have a thread for this?"

If I were still an admin I expect the only adminny thing I'd be doing would be compulsively splitmerging threads every time a conversation starts to veer off into "Oh yeah, we were talking about this like two years ago." Which is a tedious dumb timesink I'm kinda glad not to be able to do anymore.

Defenestration wrote:Also no seriously, this forum *is* dead. What is needed above all else is new blood and thus new life.

There's a combination of factors at work. Sharkey no longer being an Internet Celebrity is one of them. But a huge part of it is that messageboards as a whole are on the decline. People prefer other means of communicating.

That bums me out since, obviously, I prefer messageboards. But if there's one thing the last couple of decades have repeatedly proven, it's that most people do not want the same things out of the Internet that I do.

It's tempting to blame my cynicism on age, but I hated Facebook just as much back in the 1990's, when it was called AOL.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:23 am

Clearly the solution is to just revive https://www.reddit.com/r/brontoforumus/

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:35 am

I think it's far too early to say messageboards are on the way out. All the ones I see that serve as a communications hub for a community centred on something else are fine, like the motorbike forum (and the one I go to is VERY specific, for just my particular model, yet it has hundreds of active members), or the miniatures forum.

In those cases there's a steady stream of new content, questions/requests for help, and new blood who get into [thing]. We don't really have those things, so we won't attract new people on that basis, even though, quite frankly, this is one of the nicest, most harmonious communities I know of anywhere on the internet, the occasional :thad: or eaten baby notwithstanding.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:21 am

Joxam wrote:Honestly I think now that the boards work at normal, not slow as fuck, speeds there has been more activity in the last week or so than in a while. When I log in for the day like all five forums have posts in them now!

Nothing spurs conversation around here quite like "Wow, sure is awful quiet around here."

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:32 am

You say that... but...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:38 am

I didn't say anything about your butt!