MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

sei

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby sei » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:09 am

"""conversation"""

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:27 am

Mongrel wrote:I think it's far too early to say messageboards are on the way out.

What I said was "on the decline". And it's not too early to say that at all.

I wouldn't suggest they're going to go away entirely, no; they're still the best tool for the cases you mention (enthusiast communities, troubleshooting, etc.). But for general conversation, there's a hell of a lot of competition.

Mongrel wrote:In those cases there's a steady stream of new content, questions/requests for help, and new blood who get into [thing]. We don't really have those things, so we won't attract new people on that basis, even though, quite frankly, this is one of the nicest, most harmonious communities I know of anywhere on the internet, the occasional :thad: or eaten baby notwithstanding.

Well, another way of looking at it is that we've whittled ourselves down to a small core of people who are willing to put up with each other's shit.

I'm kind of joking, but I'm kind of not. We're all known quantities at this point. Obviously some people here rub other people here the wrong way (and I am aware that I'm at the top of the list). The people who are still around have made a conscious decision that whatever things about this forum annoy them are outweighed by the stuff they like.

Or at least, I hope that's the case and people aren't just posting here out of habit even though they hate it. I've definitely gotten that vibe from a couple of people in the past few years, but I can't say as I get it from anybody right now.

As far as creating things, well, I should get off my ass and write more books. I've already earned a cool six dollars from Old Tom and the Old Tome; I bet if I play my cards right my next book could double that.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:13 pm

hold on for 10 more years and we can have William and Lilith join in.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:50 pm

yeah you fucks

where's all the babies

no i don't have ulterior motives what do you mean
ImageImageImage

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Nope.

Wow that site is older than balls. But not my balls.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:06 pm

You don't count, Sharkey. The only two possible baby related choices you could have made were

A: none

B: wander from town to town impregnating at least three women per town, while also solving any ghost/and/or mutant problems, until, at age 55, several hundred women show up at your door demanding child support
ImageImageImage

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Friday wrote:You don't count, Sharkey. The only two possible baby related choices you could have made were

A: none

B: wander from town to town impregnating at least three women per town, while also solving any ghost/and/or mutant problems, until, at age 55, several hundred women show up at your door demanding child support

I can practically hear Ron Perlman reading those endings. Well, at least some of you had kids. I'm putting together a sith holocron just for them. Our folly will survive for generations.

I wish I had the giveafuck to edit a brontoforum screen into the first couple frames of those monitors. That'd make a fine header for a brontobabies topic in 2027 or whenever fucking stupid scifi year we'll probably still be writing on paper checks for recently immortal baby boomer landlords.

So... might as well take your time with photoshop.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Sharkey wrote:still be writing on paper checks for recently immortal baby boomer landlords.

You have a horrifying imagination.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:38 am

What's funny is I made a crack about immortal Boomers in a different thread after he posted that but before I read it.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:17 am

they'll look exactly like that floating giant fat dude in Brothers Grunt.

François

Postby François » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:33 am

At the risk of sounding like a suck-up, I gotta say, there's nothing or nobody here I feel I have to put up with to enjoy this fine crew's company. I've had moments with some of you in the past, but honestly, I don't give a toss by now. As far as I'm concerned, we're all a bunch of knuckleheads from old times, and there's no other group of people I'd have rather been in and around for half my life and counting.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:57 pm

We totally have a new active poster, and he even joined when the forums were slow! Unless it's someone old I don't recognize.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Caithness wrote:We totally have a new active poster, and he even joined when the forums were slow! Unless it's someone old I don't recognize.
Who, me?

Nah, I used to post as Yoji (the guy Romosome worked with on that MAME cabinet), but I haven't been here since... I forget whether it was called the Seven Deadly Forums or the Worst Forums ever. Wrath of the Lich King was still fairly recent, and Friday was still doing a choose-your-own-adventure deal about screaming zombie parasites. I was never really active and left after getting mad at Niku over Metal Gear.

Guess I was feeling a little lonely online, and Wonkette isn't nerdy enough to get my jokes, so here I am.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:09 pm

That CYA was awesome. Too bad I got weirdly absent for the second set.

Postby Newbie » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:46 pm

A community only grows up once its members are able to argue about which period of its existence was its golden age.
tiny text

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:32 pm

I think we can all agree it was the duration of VvW3
ImageImageImage

Classic

Postby Classic » Sun May 01, 2016 1:15 am

I feel like VvWV was the best.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Mon May 02, 2016 4:02 am

I had plans for a whole offseason Type-Moon themed VvW game to run that I never did. I was going to set it up as a basic alt account VvW offseason game with mixed up mechanics, only revealing upon the initial game posts and account creations that it had such an indepth theme. I completely "reskinned" everything, even the items, as the Tenth Holy Grail War. The fact that people would have only been half aware at best of the anime bullshit going into this theme would have been *great* after I forced the game accounts onto people.

But I never did, because I was unsure of how Friday would take it, I never got enough interest in my own circle of friends to make me confident about getting the total number I needed overall, and laziness.

I think that would have been the best one, personally. Barring that, I'm going to say VvWV too.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue May 03, 2016 2:37 am

VvW5 is the worst though. Do not confuse it with VvWV. That is THE mistake.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu May 05, 2016 3:51 pm

But I never did, because I was unsure of how Friday would take it

When Gahitsu word for word copied my ruleset and tried to run a VvW over on TT (not sure if it ever got off the ground), I was flattered. Bongo also ran an off brand imitation VvW here that I actually played in. Trust me, I'd have been fine with your thing.
ImageImageImage