MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

User avatar
Lyrai
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:34 pm

MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Lyrai » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:10 am

So in this thread, spawned from a #ff conversation, let us discuss (and lure back the good ones) thsoe of us who have long since vanished into the internet ether.

ARC COME BACK

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8552
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:13 am

Christ, for a second I thought someone had died.

ARC COME HOME.
Image

User avatar
Lyrai
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Lyrai » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:23 am

If you stop posting, do you die?

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8552
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:28 am

If you die in the forum game, you die for real.
Image

User avatar
Kayma
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:40 am

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Kayma » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:29 am

I agree with this sentiment.

Image

User avatar
Friday
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Friday » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:31 am

My idea was more like, having a blurb about each person, like a little history and a bit about them. Here, I'll do an example.

Arc:

Status: Locked in eternal combat with Sarah Palin
Last Seen: (actual date goes here) (alternate joke about beyond space and time, locked in eternal combat)
Personality: OH MYSTERIOUS ROBOT!!! Tended to regard posting as performance art. Felt pressure to keep up high quality of posts. Some people decided to jump on the "Arc isn't as cool as everyone thinks" train which is fine because even Arc bleeds red blood. But seriously dude was at least 99% rad. Showed up to Magfest wearing sunglasses inside.
History: oh my god remember that time he and Kabbage/Mothra got into that image-fu fight with Jet Faguar and Ultra-Gay holy shit
More History: Started the Mayor. VvW Player. The Ends player. Was MacReady in Thing 1. Will return in our hour of greatest need. All his cats know gun-fu. Loves Justice.

anyway the thread would need to be sort of interactive like wikipedia I guess, because no one person can remember everything about people, for example, I remember his participation in my games while other people may remember him more for his political posts or whatever.

Anyway that was sort of my idea. I didn't post it for real because I don't think interest was really that high.
Image

User avatar
Friday
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Friday » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:32 am

Guild:

Guild
Image

User avatar
Classic
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:53 am

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Classic » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:15 am

<3

We can also exchange stories about long lost posters, cry, and then inter their internetly remains to the garbage collection heap. It'll bring closure!

My favorite Arc story is how when he did the first Dirty Santa he thought it would be funny to play a prank, but then the sheer size of the participation made his heart grow like... one and a half, maybe two sizes that day, and he realized the true beauty of cycling around crap we no longer personally enjoy.

User avatar
Classic
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:53 am

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Classic » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:16 am

Also, I thought Guild was still wicked lurking. It's just really supreme, high-context lurking.

User avatar
Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Smiler » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:30 am

No Guild just moved on to Talking Time when he realized that he could scam actual money out of people there.

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8552
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:59 am

Oh wow, really? Jeez.

I'll add another pair to the list:

1) Geo. As I understand it, he still chats in #FF? I think some of you found Geo annoying? But I knew him IRL, so I always saw his posts in the funny voices he used (which is something I do too) and he never bugged me.

2) Koipond. He doesn't live far from me and he's only ever one email away. This one I fee bad about because he and I just... stopped hanging out. Not because of anything that really happened, but because I think he just got too busy with his new family. I've been meaning to bug him for a while to see about getting back together and I don't really know why I haven't.
Image

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 5506
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:23 pm

We've already kiiinda got a thread like this over on the invisible board, under the title Has Anybody Seen...? Might be worth a merge since it's got a couple names on it that nobody's mentioned in this thread yet.

User avatar
Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus
Posts: 2054
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Brentai » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:37 pm

I like that thread because it highlights most of the reason why these boards are so quiet (read: we moved to Twitter/tumblr/etc. and these boards are supplemental).

User avatar
Classic
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:53 am

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Classic » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:43 pm

The boards are good for certain kinds of collaborative work, but it's exactly the kind of thing we don't seem to want to do lately. Or perhaps, we don't expect to be able to distribute the "heavy lifting" that entails onto our peers. Which is why our more recent, collaborative efforts involve one poster performing 80%+ of the input, instead of the 40-60% we'd see in a board RPG, or the variable split that happens in a katestory.

Also: It is eternally entertaining to watch Kayin call people I disagree with "entitled pissbabies".

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 5506
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Which reminds me, there IS still a KateStory sitting down there.

User avatar
Newbie
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:30 pm
Location: January 20th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Newbie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:18 am

Last time I heard from Arc was October 19, 2009, at 3:09:29 PM, according to my fossilized PMs. In retrospect, my reaction to his disappearance was a little too redditesque, and I regret that. He was a man ahead of his time.
tiny text

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 5506
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Thad » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Yeah, that looks to be right around the last time he showed up; he popped into the Secret Admin Forum the day after that to do that thing where he acts like he's mysterious and cool but really is just infuriatingly vague.

I still like Arc and would love for him to pop back in. But between the disappearing, pretending to be his sister, telling Kazz and me we were no longer allowed to speak to one another, banning a bunch of people just for the lulz, and nationally propagating unsubstantiated rumors about politicians' teenage daughters, his stock diminished a little with me. He's not Jason Bourne, he's a very naughty boy.

User avatar
Friday
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Friday » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:51 am

Which is why our more recent, collaborative efforts involve one poster performing 80%+ of the input,


aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I still like Arc and would love for him to pop back in. But between the disappearing, pretending to be his sister, telling Kazz and me we were no longer allowed to speak to one another, banning a bunch of people just for the lulz, and nationally propagating unsubstantiated rumors about politicians' teenage daughters, his stock diminished a little with me. He's not Jason Bourne, he's a very naughty boy.


What the heck? When did all of this occur? Was this going on in the secret admin thread or in PM or something? I mean, I sort of remember him banning people, but the rest of it is pure wtf to me.
Image

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 5506
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Oh right, you were gone for awhile because I cyberbullied you into leaving forever.

So yeah, those things happened. Taking them one at a time:

Thad wrote:disappearing, pretending to be his sister,


The first time Arc made a big show of going away for an extended period of time, he signed his sister up for an account. He later acknowledged that he wrote "about 90%" of her posts himself, which was surprising because (1) he admitted to it and (2) apparently 10% of the posts claiming to be from his sister actually were.

Thad wrote:telling Kazz and me we were no longer allowed to speak to one another,


Toward the end of the Pyoko boards, I got on Kazz's last nerve and he started a thread declaring the ultimatum that if I didn't leave forever, he would.

Arc acted as mediator, where "mediator" in this case means that he declared neither one of us was allowed to speak to or mention the other, under penalty of banning.

If this was secretly intended as reverse psychology to unite Kazz and me under the shared belief that this was ridiculous bullshit, I have to acknowledge that it worked.

Thad wrote:banning a bunch of people just for the lulz,


This particular incident can be seen in an old thread titled RING RING RING RING RING RING RING (because banana phone, get it? Get it? I didn't and it took me for-fucking-ever to figure out that was the thread, because I confused it with the other RING RING RING RING RING thread we used to have; fucking Christ I hate self-indulgent incoherent thread titles). When we first migrated away from Pyoko to WFE, Arc banned a bunch of the old Pyoko folks, day one, without telling anybody; they just showed up to register for the new boards and got a ban page.

When people started to notice and ask what the fuck was going on, he described it as "an experiment of mine to log how many times those who professed to hate Sharkey's guts would try to visit his forums." Except he banned a bunch of people who never professed to hate Sharkey's guts, like TedBelmont and Kabbage.

A bunch of us railed against it at some length, and when Sharkey noticed what was going on he lifted most of the bans, and made Kazz and me admins again so we'd have a team and could check and balance each other instead of leaving Arc entirely in charge. And I spent some time over on Pyoko PM'ing people to assure them it wasn't going to happen again and convince them that they really should try out the new boards despite this rather nasty first impression.

(Arc later acknowledged it as "entirely my fuckheaded mistake, out of mild paranoia, spite, and misunderstanding.")

I do admit to having something of a chip on my shoulder that I managed to develop a reputation as an admin who constantly banned people without warning or provocation (even though (1) I banned maybe 10 people in as many years, (2) warned every single one of them to stop what they were doing prior to the ban, (3) most of the bans were just a few days, and (4) almost every person I ever banned also got banned by somebody else on the admin team at one time or another) while Arc maintained the reputation of Best Admin Ever (even though he banned more people in a day than I banned in a decade, didn't bother telling anybody, and caught a bunch of innocent people up in the crosshairs).

But then, I never made any thread icons.

Thad wrote:nationally propagating unsubstantiated rumors about politicians' teenage daughters,


Given your earlier reference to Sarah Palin, I assume you already know about this one.

Anyhow, like I said, I still like Arc. He really put a lot of effort into pretty frontend stuff, and wrote consistently great damn posts and threads. But I did come to find his games tiresome and his judgement questionable.

User avatar
Newbie
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:30 pm
Location: January 20th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Newbie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:35 pm

Oh, let me be clear: when I said this—

Newbie wrote:He was a man ahead of his time.


—I was specifically referring to the fact that he decided he disliked doxxing enough to abandon an established online identity years before the #gg crowd would bring doxxing into the prominence it enjoys today. I seem to have left that rather crucial context out.
tiny text

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests