Front Page II: The Undersea Battle

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Front Page II: The Undersea Battle

Postby Mothra » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Been seeing some grumblings about taking another solid whack at a community front page:

Sharkey wrote:Maybe it's a good time to mention that I've been tinkering with a site and kind of put it on hold when things here started to look shaky. Apparently there are still people who want to read my bullshit, and as a side benefit it might bring some new blood to the forums (if that's even wanted. I've hesitated to link to these things before just on account of not wanting to ruin the coziness.) Now I'm realizing I could probably put together a patreon for it. If nothing else it might help cover the cost of hosting.

Kazz wrote:I have critically important opinions on iPhone games, and nobody out there cares.

Kayma wrote:I also like it here, so if some sort of funding goal manifests itself I'm totally game.

Thad wrote:
Kazz wrote:Um, maybe this is late in the discussion to bring it up, but: how about, whatever solution you go with, a front page where everybody submits content (whatever it happens to be) and we shove ads all the fuck over it, on every page, SEO the shit out of it, and see if the site helps pay for itself?

If there's any support for this idea, it's exactly the sort of web development that I actually have experience in. And we're all creative, intelligent people who are not getting younger. I think Thad (for instance) writes well enough that he deserves an audience of more than two dozen people, y'know?

And yes we've done this before and yes it was very sad

I don't know how well ads would pay for anything but something like Patreon might be worth trying (with, as you say, some good SEO to bring people in). The old group blog was a neat idea even if it didn't work out exactly right.

I forget if it was ever rigged up so that my posts to my WP blog got automatically inserted; I remember suggesting that and it seems like it should be possible to scrape RSS feeds from existing blogs.

And I should blog more, too. Both new stuff and just grabbing standalone shit I've already posted here. It's on the to-do list.

We've got interest in doing articles and reviews, and I imagine adding LP's would be cool. Figure thinly-edited hilarious rants would be also be a lark and change, since we're good at those. I personally would definitely be down to write short articles here and there, and I'd be down to help manage getting things properly formatted and posted and all that jazz.

Not really thinking we should go out of our way to keep the dinosaur theme for whatever we called it, though. I still think Skull Club is a good name for a site, but yeah, any suggestions would be appreciated.

All this hinges on whether or not we can come up with a payment plan from month to month, of course, but that's a topic for State of the Brontos. Ads and a donation bar on the front page could possibly help us out on that front.

François

Re: Front Page II: The Undersea Battle

Postby François » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:44 pm

I've had a couple ideas for recurring/episodic stuff rattling in my brain box for a while now. There are a few long LPs I have in mind for sure, but also stuff like, I've been wanting to do in-depth critical analysis of cutscenes and story elements in games, and going through something like that for, like, the whole of Twilight Princess or something equivalent, it might be a good fit a twice-weekly bit of content on whatever site would have people interested in reading that sort of thing (which is probably not a lot but, heck, I'd read it, so maybe others would). I've had extra time to think about it lately, what with my arm in the shape it's been in, and I'm this close to starting a tumblr just to get it all out of my head somewhere out of the way.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, I'm certainly interested on principle, though I could only start once I'm able to type more than a couple paragraphs before feeling like my arm is gonna fall off.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:48 pm

I don't have anything of my own at the moment (other than my site, but that's not really front pages stuff for us), but since I fell off the drawing wagon, I can do some illustrations for others of you who are thinking of something.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:08 pm

I think it should start pretty loose. If there's too much of a central theme or expectation it can limit interest, and even limit content.

Everyone participating has to submit something 1-3 times a week and let it evolve from there based off what ends up being the most fun / popular. No reason not to also just upload stuff from or that is going to your personal blog for the people that have them to tie into your own shiz.

malikial

Postby malikial » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:36 pm

I'll make stuff, but I have no idea what. My work is ROCK SOLID schedule now. Giving me 4 days off a week EVERY WEEK to do things.